No announcement yet.

Holy War 2017: BYU vs Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm about to rewatch the game but I'll share a couple of impressions.

1. There's a depth and talent gap. The talent gap isn't huge among the starters but it widens as you get into the subs.
    2. Utah finally has a QB
    3. The game was a typical low-scoring mistake ridden affair that has been typical of the rivalry for several years.
    4. The defense was loose in between the twenties but was able to clamp down nicely in the red zone.
    5. Our team and coaching staff are young. Ty's offense is complex and demands that the QB and other skill guys make the same reads. I actually saw some positive stuff out of the offense last night. Progress is slow but it's still progress.
    6. Tanner was a much different animal in the second half. When Utah went zone he started to carve them up. His pocket presence improved quite a bit. I think Tanner is going to be fine.
    7. I said this after Portland and will repeat it now. We have severe receiver problems. Shumway is the only guy who is somewhat reliable. We need to really hit the JC's next year to find some guys.
    8. We've found a RB in Tolutau. We need to get the passing game a little better to help him out.

Everyone wants to panic. I urge patience. We are young and developing. Kalani must have time to recruit and build a squad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
      I'm about to rewatch the game but I'll share a couple of impressions.

1. There's a depth and talent gap. The talent gap isn't huge among the starters but it widens as you get into the subs.
      2. Utah finally has a QB
      3. The game was a typical low-scoring mistake ridden affair that has been typical of the rivalry for several years.
      4. The defense was loose in between the twenties but was able to clamp down nicely in the red zone.
      5. Our team and coaching staff are young. Ty's offense is complex and demands that the QB and other skill guys make the same reads. I actually saw some positive stuff out of the offense last night. Progress is slow but it's still progress.
      6. Tanner was a much different animal in the second half. When Utah went zone he started to carve them up. His pocket presence improved quite a bit. I think Tanner is going to be fine.
      7. I said this after Portland and will repeat it now. We have severe receiver problems. Shumway is the only guy who is somewhat reliable. We need to really hit the JC's next year to find some guys.
      8. We've found a RB in Tolutau. We need to get the passing game a little better to help him out.

Everyone wants to panic. I urge patience. We are young and developing. Kalani must have time to recruit and build a squad.
      This all seeems correct. Especially the offense comments. Ty's system takes time and development. When executed well it is the best scheme (that's why pro teams use it) but it takes consistent practice and effort and requires a lot of a QB and receivers.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
        I looked at that after last season. Here are the Massey composite rankings. You're right it's very cold comfort.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8208[/ATTACH]
        I guess that kind of supports evidence for a growing gap, since we used to be consistently better and lose anyway, and now we are consistently worse and lose anyway.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
          I guess that kind of supports evidence for a growing gap, since we used to be consistently better and lose anyway, and now we are consistently worse and lose anyway.
          Final Sagarin Ratings from 1998 on.

Capture.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

[ATTACH]8210[/ATTACH]
            reverse that axis bro
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

[ATTACH]8210[/ATTACH]
              I guess I'll go with "eh, not really." Those look like rankings of two teams that are more or less as good as each other give or take a touchdown.
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                I guess I'll go with "eh, not really." Those look like rankings of two teams that are more or less as good as each other give or take a touchdown.
                agree. have to say i'm a little surprised. seems like they've been a significant step above us.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                  agree. have to say i'm a little surprised. seems like they've been a significant step above us.
                  It seemed evident to me that when BYU gets a fortuitous break during the rivalry game, they just can't seem to capitalize on it. In contrast, Utah over the past three games, despite regularly shooting themselves in the foot with penalties, and committing many turnovers still manages to prevail.

The only real gap between the two programs is cultural (football wise)—Utah expects to win, BYU does not.

Comment

• I didn,t make it up to the town of Matt Paradis. My nephew got ordained a deacon, heard it from brother for not coming. Had too much going on. Anyway before the house of Paradis not too far from the house of Larry Craig, in town that co ops, has same name as town in Massachusetts there us a motel there, it has his many happy people and how many grouches stayed there since January 1st. My brother took out his cable. Probably needs it back. But had I stayed at the motel would see the grouch count go up by one. Maybe if I stay up there and they win see happy count go up when BYU wins.

Comment

• There's a legit gap in talent. The talent schism started around the start of the Urban era and is getting worse. The utes have like 30 dudes in the league BYU has around 10.

Only reason BYU stayed in the game is because Whitt made his typical crazy stupid decisions. Should've been a win by the Utes by 21.

Comment

• Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                        There's a legit gap in talent. The talent schism started around the start of the Urban era and is getting worse. The utes have like 30 dudes in the league BYU has around 10.

Only reason BYU stayed in the game is because Whitt made his typical crazy stupid decisions. Should've been a win by the Utes by 21.
                        What stupid decisions? I thought KW played it pretty smart the whole game. I do agree there is a talent gap but I don't think it is as severe as you say and is limited to certain key positions like WR that others have mentioned.

Comment

What stupid decisions? I thought KW played it pretty smart the whole game. I do agree there is a talent gap but I don't think it is as severe as you say and is limited to certain key positions like WR that others have mentioned.
                          He should'nt have kicked the field goals in the first half and should have kicked the field goals in the second.

He shut down the offense in the 4th.

I've watched more Ute games than anyone else in the board over the past 12 years and the dude seriously does dumb things in every game.

If you went position by position BYU vs Utah, BYU might have 2-3 dudes that would start over the Ute counterpart.

Comment

• Interesting that the rises and falls mostly correlate.

Comment

• I love our defense. Even without FB they are fun to watch. They still have a bit of the bend don't break mentality, but they held Utah to 19 points in spite of the numerous mistakes by the offense. It's just frustrating that in the years that we have a great defense, our offense sucks. I felt like we wasted a lot of years becasue of the Riley Nelson/Jake Heaps offenses that were mediocre but had dominant defenses. Oh well. Such is life as a Cougar fan.

I"m not as optimistic as AA about Ty. Maybe he will figure it out, but his lack of experience as a college OC is embarrassingly apparent. But I do agree that our WRs suck. I did call that Ula would be a stud. I hope he gets more carries against Wiscy. It's clear that Canada runs blind and Fonua is struggling as well. Ula just seems to have a knack for the holes and picking up yards. If we get the running game going, I think Tanner will be fine.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I don't want ula to get more than 12 carries a game. Dude is not in shape. We need him in shape and healthy for the next three years.
                                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                                X