No announcement yet.

Women's Volleyball 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That really was a nice comeback. To some degree, LMU exploited the same weakness as St Marys: non-Mary lake passing. The difference is that LMU is actually a solid team (50-60 range), and their serving in the first two sets was legitimately impressive. I didn't think BYU was as well as they should've even conditional on the serving, but that was legit serving pressure by LMU (kind of the women's equivalent of what Ohio State does in the Men's game). In sets 3-5, LMU serving pressure dropped off a little and BYU absolutely crushed them.
    Last edited by pelagius; 10-22-2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
      That really was a nice comeback. To some degree, LMU exploited the same weakness as St Marys: non-Mary lake passing. The difference is that LMU is actually a solid team (50-60 range), and their serving in the first two sets was legitimately impressive. I didn't think BYU was as well as they should've even conditional on the serving, but that was legit serving pressure by LMU (kind of the women's equivalent of what Ohio State does in the Men's game). In sets 3-5, LMU serving pressure dropped off a little and BYU absolutely crushed them.
      Mary can pass half the court without help and throw up 3s. It sure makes the others better and it's really hard to aggressively serve only half the court.

Comment

Utah County people: best home game of the year this Friday: San Diego. It's the one to attend if you're going to attend any (outside of NCAA tournament hosting).

Comment

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/art...eath-their-dad

A writeup on the Haddock twins' and their dad's untimely death.

My dad had the same thing their dad did three weeks ago. Very scary how suddenly it can come on.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Rough night ... I do think San Diego's setter is the best female setter I've ever watched in person. She was great.

Comment

Their setter played a phenomenal game. And their middle blocker was dominant. Was frustrating to see roni struggle so much tonight. Without her playing well the offense is a little too predictable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That one block party point was fun to watch. Looked like that studio C vball sketch but with hands instead of faces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                  Their setter played a phenomenal game. And their middle blocker was dominant. Was frustrating to see roni struggle so much tonight. Without her playing well the offense is a little too predictable.
                  I didn't think it was her fault. Passing was simply bad. Well, it's in part her fault because she was forced to pass a lot and she struggled. Since St. Mary's, teams have really zeroed in on serving specific defenders. They go after either Jones-Perry or Martindale (they are not in the back row together because Martindale rotates with Miller); both struggled to pass. Resulting sets were poor. I also think Mary Lake must be banged up a bit. I didn't think she was covering as much ground as usual; nor was she as aggressive in terms of stepping in front of other back court people. Also, I thought BYU really missed Taylen Ballard. Without her they really struggle to get much production on the right side against good tea ms (Olmstead played three different people at opposite to try to get some production).

Finally, BYU simply couldn't get San Diego out of system off their serves enough. It was too easy for San Diego to quick set the middle before BYU's block could get there.
                  Last edited by pelagius; 10-28-2017, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Yeah, SD's setter was good, but she owes some props to her back row (a lot of low, direct passes to the setter). Our block couldn't get to the ball in time to disrupt, especially on the quick sets to their middle.

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                      I didn't think it was her fault. Passing was simply bad. Well, it's in part her fault because she was forced to pass a lot and she struggled. Since St. Mary's, teams have really zeroed in on serving specific defenders. They go after either Jones-Perry or Martindale (they are not in the back row together because Martindale rotates with Miller); both struggled to pass. Resulting sets were poor. I also think Mary Lake must be banged up a bit. I didn't think she was covering as much ground as usual; nor was she as aggressive in terms of stepping in front of other back court people. Also, I thought BYU really missed Taylen Ballard. Without her they really struggle to get much production on the right side against good tea ms (Olmstead played three different people at opposite to try to get some production).

Finally, BYU simply couldn't get San Diego out of system off their serves enough. It was too easy for San Diego to quick set the middle before BYU's block could get there.
                      I think you're right on Mary Lake. She had a great match against SMC, but you could tell she's got some aches and pains with the amount of time it takes her to get back to her feet. Such a baller.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                        I think you're right on Mary Lake. She had a great match against SMC, but you could tell she's got some aches and pains with the amount of time it takes her to get back to her feet. Such a baller.
                        Yeah, she is also wearing extra padding around one hip now (at least for the last couple of games) ... don't @ me for staring at her hip ... my wife noticed it and then pointed it out to me.

Comment

Women won at Gonzaga in a pedestrian manner but took the match 3 sets to 0.
                          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

They should be seeded higher but given the NCAA's over-reliance on RPI it's about as a good as the ladies could hope for. Obviously, it's nice to host again (3 in a row hosting)

Comment

Heather is Ana amazing coach. I think she’s a better coach than Shawn. I like how she’s building this team and the talent keeps coming. The MB and Setter they picked up this year are ballers.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                                Heather is Ana amazing coach. I think she’s a better coach than Shawn. I like how she’s building this team and the talent keeps coming. The MB and Setter they picked up this year are ballers.
                                My daughter just spent 15 minutes telling me about the team. She lives for volleyball, but at 5'4", high school will be it.

As disappointing as the big sports have been. BYU has been impressive at the sports that people don't talk about as much.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
                                sigpic
                                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Working...
                                X