No announcement yet.

Calling Artists and Art Lovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strong drawing Cowboy ... have you tried some simple washes?

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
      Strong drawing Cowboy ... have you tried some simple washes?
      I've yet to try any washes. I'll confess that most of my drawing is done in Church, as that's the only free time I have in significant blocks, so I need to wait for a less busy time of the year. This is my latest, a sketch of a photo I posted a while back of my horse, taken from ground level where I was sitting to take a lunch break. It's my first real attempt at capturing landscape and trees. I'm learning to appreciate white space in pen and ink drawing.
      sigpic
      "Outlined against a blue, gray
      October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
      Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
        I've yet to try any washes. I'll confess that most of my drawing is done in Church, as that's the only free time I have in significant blocks, so I need to wait for a less busy time of the year. This is my latest, a sketch of a photo I posted a while back of my horse, taken from ground level where I was sitting to take a lunch break. It's my first real attempt at capturing landscape and trees. I'm learning to appreciate white space in pen and ink drawing.
        Your strongest drawing I've seen yet. Really strong composition, proportion and scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Any of you guys ever hear of "The Gnarled Branch" dude? He goes to thrift stores and buys cheap paintings/prints and then "redirects" them by putting some additions on the paintings. He has an FB page, Instagram, Etsy, etc.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/TheGnarledBranch/items
          https://www.instagram.com/thegnarledbranch/
          https://www.redbubble.com/shop/the+g...ordion=product

It is kitsch and cheesy as hell, but I love it. Seriously considering buying a copy of the Matt Foley print.

A few examples:

Ha- I like it. Reminds me of being in HS; I was in a Studio Art class and I modified one of my previous 'fantasy' assignments- which was an acrylic rendering of Hell- caverns, fiery expanse, billowing clouds of brimstone-- the whole 9. Anyway, I took a prom photo of my buddy-- he was in a very obnoxious, lovey dovey relationship with some girl from another high school-- and used the prom photo as a model to paint them together in the foreground. He was extremely pissed and tried to destroy it (but I somehow caught him in the act trying to throw it out the window at an off-hour time). I still laugh thinking about that.
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I've had some time on my hands the last few days, and used some of it to finish this sketch from a picture of friendwho died of cancer this fall. this was a picture that was on his funeral program. thecows weren't in the picture, and I wish I could have done better on the calf.
            sigpic
            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

I've had some time on my hands the last few days, and used some of it to finish this sketch from a picture of friendwho died of cancer this fall. this was a picture that was on his funeral program. thecows weren't in the picture, and I wish I could have done better on the calf.
              Again, well done.

Comment

You sketching left handed?
                Last edited by Katy Lied; 11-20-2017, 07:20 PM.

Comment

At the risk of mockery at my childlike efforts, I've raised my coloring book skilz to the shading level. The latest rage among crafters with very little talent: you buy a coloring book, but instead of block colors, you shade in between the lines.
                  lipz.jpg
                  Last edited by Katy Lied; 11-20-2017, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                    Again, well done.
                    Thanks. I'm still planning to try the wash, just haven't gotten there yet.

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                    You sketching left handed?
                    Nope. Left arm banged up.
                    sigpic
                    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Thanks. I'm still planning to try the wash, just haven't gotten there yet.

Nope. Left arm banged up.
                      How long does it take you to draw these? How big is your typical drawing size?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I'm certainly no artist. I wish I was. My wife and I have followed the career of a local artist since he was finishing his masters degree at USU.

http://www.zacharyproctor.com

I really enjoy his work and since he recently moved into his grandmother's home in our neighborhood it has been educational for me to talk with him about why/what he paints. (He shows additional work on his instagram account)
                        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          How long does it take you to draw these? How big is your typical drawing size?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                          My sketchbook is 5X8, so pretty small. I've never kept track of how long it takes. I'd guess anywhere from 3-12 hours, depending on the sketch. This one probably took 6-8 hours of drawing time including breaks to answer Sunday School questions.
                          sigpic
                          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Quick sketch of my son riding back to camp with me after a snow storm. I did tis in the doctors office waiting for an MRI- about 20 minutes.
                            Last edited by cowboy; 12-11-2017, 08:04 AM.
                            sigpic
                            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

This one took a little longer. My wife took this picture of our pup and the old 3-legged dog. Dogs are hard to get because they don't have clear lines.
                              Last edited by cowboy; 12-11-2017, 08:04 AM.
                              sigpic
                              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

That reminds me of scrimshaw.
                                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Working...
                                X