Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    No wonder it's so sloppy!
    A work of art like that, and you're worried about the calligraphy of a wood block print?
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      A work of art like that, and you're worried about the calligraphy of a wood block print?
      But ostensibly, these are Japanese wood block prints, right? Calligraphy is a huge part of Japanese art. So much so, that a significant percentage of Japanese art is nothing more than a few characters, carefully and artistically drawn. The characters in this piece are kind of sloppy (what you would expect from a foreigner) and are therefore somewhat jarring.

Not to mention: CULTURAL APPROPRIATION!
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

He's an engineer—ignore him. The prints are incredible.

Comment

But ostensibly, these are Japanese wood block prints, right? Calligraphy is a huge part of Japanese art. So much so, that a significant percentage of Japanese art is nothing more than a few characters, carefully and artistically drawn. The characters in this piece are kind of sloppy (what you would expect from a foreigner) and are therefore somewhat jarring.

Not to mention: CULTURAL APPROPRIATION!
          Google Karhu & Calligraphy and then STFU, gaijin.
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Google Karhu & Calligraphy and then STFU, gaijin.
            Baka yaro!

Not a lot of google hits, but the ones I do see most definitely do NOT look like traditional Japanese calligraphy. As noted by this comment:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture.../#.WZNmHneGPmE

They were accompanied by a Japanese proverb written in the artist’s distinctive calligraphy, with translations in English that were as amusing as the drawings.
            He had a unique style, but every character screams "gaijin".
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

For a client. Original ballpoint pen drawing, digitally colourized [iPad Pro/pencil & Photoshop on a laptop] ... I prefer to paint by hand, but my students mostly only do digital these days, so I have to remain au courant:

yingyangbunnies.jpg

I should note it is an editorial illustration: the "yin and yang of following philosophical rabbits down rabbit holes."
              Last edited by tooblue; 08-15-2017, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Baka yaro!

Not a lot of google hits, but the ones I do see most definitely do NOT look like traditional Japanese calligraphy. As noted by this comment:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture.../#.WZNmHneGPmE

He had a unique style, but every character screams "gaijin".
                That link goes to a glowing obituary of the man and there are zero comments. Look at the way he uses WOOD BLOCKS to actually make it look like it's snowing, or the camo pattern on the tree trunk to simulate light and shadow coming through a canopy. Check the scale of things against what a photograph would show, and you can almost see yourself there, like you jumped into a Mary Poppins borderline-fauvist landscape.
                Last edited by wuapinmon; 08-15-2017, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                  For a client. Original ballpoint pen drawing, digitally colourized [iPad Pro/pencil & Photoshop on a laptop] ... I prefer to paint by hand, but my students mostly only do digital these days, so I have to remain au courant:

[ATTACH]8129[/ATTACH]
                  That's really cool. Is it really painting if it is done digitally?
                  sigpic
                  "Outlined against a blue, gray
                  October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                  Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                    That's really cool. Is it really painting if it is done digitally?
                    Yes, it's a painting. The tools are making it harder and harder to tell the difference between real and digital. Here is one of the rabbit ballpoint pen drawings scanned:

rabbit_ballpointpen.jpg

Here it is after it was painted on an iPad Pro and exported to Photoshop on my laptop:

rabbit_ballpointpen_digpaintediPad.jpg
                    Last edited by tooblue; 08-15-2017, 09:03 PM.

Comment

That link goes to a glowing obituary of the man and there are zero comments. Look at the way he uses WOOD BLOCKS to actually make it look like it's snowing, or the camo pattern on the tree trunk to simulate light and shadow coming through a canopy. Check the scale of things against what a photograph would show, and you can almost see yourself there, like you jumped into a Mary Poppins borderline-fauvist landscape.
                      He looks like a fantastic artist. I was just commenting on the one bit of calligraphy!

Comment

Didn't realize tooblue was an artist. I've always wanted to draw/paint/sculpt, but I've got no skills.
                        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post

I should note it is an editorial illustration: the "yin and yang of following philosophical rabbits down rabbit holes."
                          Impressive, TB!

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                            Didn't realize tooblue was an artist. I've always wanted to draw/paint/sculpt, but I've got no skills.
                            I also have no draw/paint/sculpt skills, which has probably contributed to my lack of interest in producing drawings/paintings/sculptures.
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

This is what happens when I try to draw from memory. The other day, my son's horse jumped and took a few hops. He looked like he was a goner, lost a stirrup and was leaning toward the outside when he found his determination and reached down to hold on and make the ride. I can see it clearly in my mind but can't make it to paper. The look on his face when he stayed on was priceless: a combination of amazement and pride.

Edit: I didn't mean for the first shot to be so large. It's only sketched on a 5x8 notepad in a portrait view with a regular #2 pencil. Aside from being hard to see, the first attachment was way too magnified.

Russ.jpg
                              Last edited by cowboy; 08-26-2017, 06:53 AM.
                              sigpic
                              "Outlined against a blue, gray
                              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Wuap, thanks for introducing us to Clifton.

TooBlue: I would love to learn more digital art, even though it feels like cheating because I often scan in and oversketch photos on my ipad pro. Unlike talents like Cowboy who dont even do plein air. Your work is amazing. Thanks for the references.

What digital apps would you recommend? I use Procreate for almost everything, and Adobe for lettering.

Comment

Working...
                                X