Calling Artists and Art Lovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling Artists and Art Lovers

I've doodled during meeting for years. It gives me something to do, and helps me pay attention. I have these random drawings on programs and agendas scattered around the house, and I drew a picture for my mother once of my brothers and me, but I never really collected them. My wife finally bought me a sketch book a few months ago, and I've had a lot of fun with it. I'm not a great artist, but I enjoy it.

If you are an artist or just like art, post your favorites here. I'd like to learn more and be better. Meanwhile, here are a few of mine. I only do pen and ink because I struggle with some colors.

IMG_20170417_185145_461.jpgIMG_-r2nj82.jpgKIMG0032.jpgKIMG0052.jpgKIMG0073.jpg
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

on top of everything else, you draw like that? wtf?
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
      I've doodled during meeting for years. It gives me something to do, and helps me pay attention. I have these random drawings on programs and agendas scattered around the house, and I drew a picture for my mother once of my brothers and me, but I never really collected them. My wife finally bought me a sketch book a few months ago, and I've had a lot of fun with it. I'm not a great artist, but I enjoy it.

If you are an artist or just like art, post your favorites here. I'd like to learn more and be better. Meanwhile, here are a few of mine. I only do pen and ink because I struggle with some colors.

[ATTACH]8120[/ATTACH][ATTACH]8121[/ATTACH][ATTACH]8122[/ATTACH][ATTACH]8123[/ATTACH][ATTACH]8124[/ATTACH]
      Lovely sketches. Your searching lines and cross hatching technique to create tone are nicely done. Can I suggest in your next couple of sketches you carefully consider the quality of all your line work, in particular the potential of thick and thin lines, as well as lost and found lines. They help delineate contour and can create the illusion of volume or weight. Also, they allow you to play with notions of positive and negative space. One of the benefits of lost and found lines is they let the viewer, in their mind's eye, finish the drawing for themselves:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UEGdYuh355...+and+found.jpg
      https://i.pinimg.com/originals/71/a7...fde5fbde80.jpg
      https://i.pinimg.com/736x/7c/b8/e7/7...r-drawings.jpg

You can also try smudging your ink with your finger while it's still fresh to create solid tone. In combination with cross hatching, it can be very effective.

When your'e ready to tackle colour, I recommend you start by learning to work with one or two colours only—the more limited your colour palette the better.

I really like the work of Richard Johnson, especially his Kandahar Journal:

https://nationalpostcom.files.wordpr...ngsoldier1.gif

http://nationalpost.com/tag/kandahar-journal

Comment

Cowboy could be the next Fredric Remington:

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
          Lovely sketches. Your searching lines and cross hatching technique to create tone are nicely done. Can I suggest in your next couple of sketches you carefully consider the quality of all your line work, in particular the potential of thick and thin lines, as well as lost and found lines. They help delineate contour and can create the illusion of volume or weight. Also, they allow you to play with notions of positive and negative space. One of the benefits of lost and found lines is they let the viewer, in their mind's eye, finish the drawing for themselves:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UEGdYuh355...+and+found.jpg
          https://i.pinimg.com/originals/71/a7...fde5fbde80.jpg
          https://i.pinimg.com/736x/7c/b8/e7/7...r-drawings.jpg

You can also try smudging your ink with your finger while it's still fresh to create solid tone. In combination with cross hatching, it can be very effective.

When your'e ready to tackle colour, I recommend you start by learning to work with one or two colours only—the more limited your colour palette the better.

I really like the work of Richard Johnson, especially his Kandahar Journal:

https://nationalpostcom.files.wordpr...ngsoldier1.gif

http://nationalpost.com/tag/kandahar-journal
          Thanks for the pointers. I'll try to pay attention to my lines on the sketch I'm working on and see if I can make them more concise. My favorite artist is CM Russell, and it seems like his lines are all over the place but they still work. Being partially color blind kind of hampers me, but I want to try a larger drawing than a 5X9 sketch pad. Obviously, I'd need a larger pen, or would I use charcoal?
          sigpic
          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Thanks for the pointers. I'll try to pay attention to my lines on the sketch I'm working on and see if I can make them more concise. My favorite artist is CM Russell, and it seems like his lines are all over the place but they still work. Being partially color blind kind of hampers me, but I want to try a larger drawing than a 5X9 sketch pad. Obviously, I'd need a larger pen, or would I use charcoal?
            There are three CM Russell prints hanging on the wall in my youngest boys bedroom.

It might be fun to get pen's with varying thickness and just experiment. Being partially colour blind can work to your advantage—a limited colour palette can be very liberating:

https://citizensketcher.com/2014/09/19/limited-color/

Comment

A lot better than what I can draw. Are you using anything as a basis for the drawings - photographs, etc., or just drawing a scene from memory?
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                A lot better than what I can draw. Are you using anything as a basis for the drawings - photographs, etc., or just drawing a scene from memory?
                I use pictures. I can draw simple things like a horse or faces without one, but I need pictures for lines and proportions. I still struggle there, but no way I'm ready to try the full CM Russell and do a scene from memory.

sigpic
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

I grew up with two CM Russells in our living room. A smaller one of the first, and a large one of the second. The previous one I posted of the cowboys roping a bear inspired one of the most exciting and unbelievable events in my life. If I ever get to that place in my life, I'd like to invest in his art.

Last edited by cowboy; 08-15-2017, 07:49 AM.
                  sigpic
                  Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

If I ever get to that place in my life, I'd like to invest in his art.
                    That's how I feel about Clifton Karhu, an American master of Japanese woodblock prints.

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I love Japanese art. Especially paper cutting art; I have some giclee prints of some awesome stuff.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                        That's how I feel about Clifton Karhu, an American master of Japanese woodblock prints.

Clifton needs to work on his calligraphy.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Clifton needs to work on his calligraphy.
                          He's dead, jerk.
                          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

He's dead, jerk.
                            in that case his calligraphy is very good, for a dead guy.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

He's dead, jerk.
                              No wonder it's so sloppy!
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                              X