Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling Artists and Art Lovers

Default Calling Artists and Art Lovers

I've doodled during meeting for years. It gives me something to do, and helps me pay attention. I have these random drawings on programs and agendas scattered around the house, and I drew a picture for my mother once of my brothers and me, but I never really collected them. My wife finally bought me a sketch book a few months ago, and I've had a lot of fun with it. I'm not a great artist, but I enjoy it.

If you are an artist or just like art, post your favorites here. I'd like to learn more and be better. Meanwhile, here are a few of mine. I only do pen and ink because I struggle with some colors.

IMG_20170417_185145_461.jpgIMG_-r2nj82.jpgKIMG0032.jpgKIMG0052.jpgKIMG0073.jpg

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

on top of everything else, you draw like that? wtf?
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    I've doodled during meeting for years. It gives me something to do, and helps me pay attention. I have these random drawings on programs and agendas scattered around the house, and I drew a picture for my mother once of my brothers and me, but I never really collected them. My wife finally bought me a sketch book a few months ago, and I've had a lot of fun with it. I'm not a great artist, but I enjoy it.

If you are an artist or just like art, post your favorites here. I'd like to learn more and be better. Meanwhile, here are a few of mine. I only do pen and ink because I struggle with some colors.

IMG_20170417_185145_461.jpgIMG_-r2nj82.jpgKIMG0032.jpgKIMG0052.jpgKIMG0073.jpg
    Lovely sketches. Your searching lines and cross hatching technique to create tone are nicely done. Can I suggest in your next couple of sketches you carefully consider the quality of all your line work, in particular the potential of thick and thin lines, as well as lost and found lines. They help delineate contour and can create the illusion of volume or weight. Also, they allow you to play with notions of positive and negative space. One of the benefits of lost and found lines is they let the viewer, in their mind's eye, finish the drawing for themselves:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UEGdYuh355...+and+found.jpg
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/71/a7...fde5fbde80.jpg
    https://i.pinimg.com/736x/7c/b8/e7/7...r-drawings.jpg

You can also try smudging your ink with your finger while it's still fresh to create solid tone. In combination with cross hatching, it can be very effective.

When your'e ready to tackle colour, I recommend you start by learning to work with one or two colours only—the more limited your colour palette the better.

I really like the work of Richard Johnson, especially his Kandahar Journal:

https://nationalpostcom.files.wordpr...ngsoldier1.gif

http://nationalpost.com/tag/kandahar-journal

Cowboy could be the next Fredric Remington:

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Lovely sketches. Your searching lines and cross hatching technique to create tone are nicely done. Can I suggest in your next couple of sketches you carefully consider the quality of all your line work, in particular the potential of thick and thin lines, as well as lost and found lines. They help delineate contour and can create the illusion of volume or weight. Also, they allow you to play with notions of positive and negative space. One of the benefits of lost and found lines is they let the viewer, in their mind's eye, finish the drawing for themselves:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UEGdYuh355...+and+found.jpg
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/71/a7...fde5fbde80.jpg
    https://i.pinimg.com/736x/7c/b8/e7/7...r-drawings.jpg

You can also try smudging your ink with your finger while it's still fresh to create solid tone. In combination with cross hatching, it can be very effective.

When your'e ready to tackle colour, I recommend you start by learning to work with one or two colours only—the more limited your colour palette the better.

I really like the work of Richard Johnson, especially his Kandahar Journal:

https://nationalpostcom.files.wordpr...ngsoldier1.gif

http://nationalpost.com/tag/kandahar-journal
    Thanks for the pointers. I'll try to pay attention to my lines on the sketch I'm working on and see if I can make them more concise. My favorite artist is CM Russell, and it seems like his lines are all over the place but they still work. Being partially color blind kind of hampers me, but I want to try a larger drawing than a 5X9 sketch pad. Obviously, I'd need a larger pen, or would I use charcoal?

Grantland Rice, 1924

Thanks for the pointers. I'll try to pay attention to my lines on the sketch I'm working on and see if I can make them more concise. My favorite artist is CM Russell, and it seems like his lines are all over the place but they still work. Being partially color blind kind of hampers me, but I want to try a larger drawing than a 5X9 sketch pad. Obviously, I'd need a larger pen, or would I use charcoal?
    There are three CM Russell prints hanging on the wall in my youngest boys bedroom.

It might be fun to get pen's with varying thickness and just experiment. Being partially colour blind can work to your advantage—a limited colour palette can be very liberating:

https://citizensketcher.com/2014/09/19/limited-color/

A lot better than what I can draw. Are you using anything as a basis for the drawings - photographs, etc., or just drawing a scene from memory?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    A lot better than what I can draw. Are you using anything as a basis for the drawings - photographs, etc., or just drawing a scene from memory?
    I use pictures. I can draw simple things like a horse or faces without one, but I need pictures for lines and proportions. I still struggle there, but no way I'm ready to try the full CM Russell and do a scene from memory.

Grantland Rice, 1924

I grew up with two CM Russells in our living room. A smaller one of the first, and a large one of the second. The previous one I posted of the cowboys roping a bear inspired one of the most exciting and unbelievable events in my life. If I ever get to that place in my life, I'd like to invest in his art.

Last edited by cowboy; 08-15-2017 at 07:49 AM.

Grantland Rice, 1924

If I ever get to that place in my life, I'd like to invest in his art.
    That's how I feel about Clifton Karhu, an American master of Japanese woodblock prints.

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

I love Japanese art. Especially paper cutting art; I have some giclee prints of some awesome stuff.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    That's how I feel about Clifton Karhu, an American master of Japanese woodblock prints.

Clifton needs to work on his calligraphy.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Clifton needs to work on his calligraphy.
    He's dead, jerk.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

He's dead, jerk.
    in that case his calligraphy is very good, for a dead guy.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

He's dead, jerk.
    No wonder it's so sloppy!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

No wonder it's so sloppy!
    A work of art like that, and you're worried about the calligraphy of a wood block print?

A work of art like that, and you're worried about the calligraphy of a wood block print?
    But ostensibly, these are Japanese wood block prints, right? Calligraphy is a huge part of Japanese art. So much so, that a significant percentage of Japanese art is nothing more than a few characters, carefully and artistically drawn. The characters in this piece are kind of sloppy (what you would expect from a foreigner) and are therefore somewhat jarring.

Not to mention: CULTURAL APPROPRIATION!

He's an engineer—ignore him. The prints are incredible.

But ostensibly, these are Japanese wood block prints, right? Calligraphy is a huge part of Japanese art. So much so, that a significant percentage of Japanese art is nothing more than a few characters, carefully and artistically drawn. The characters in this piece are kind of sloppy (what you would expect from a foreigner) and are therefore somewhat jarring.

Not to mention: CULTURAL APPROPRIATION!
    Google Karhu & Calligraphy and then STFU, gaijin.

Google Karhu & Calligraphy and then STFU, gaijin.
    Baka yaro!

Not a lot of google hits, but the ones I do see most definitely do NOT look like traditional Japanese calligraphy. As noted by this comment:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture.../#.WZNmHneGPmE

They were accompanied by a Japanese proverb written in the artist’s distinctive calligraphy, with translations in English that were as amusing as the drawings.
    He had a unique style, but every character screams "gaijin".

For a client. Original ballpoint pen drawing, digitally colourized [iPad Pro/pencil & Photoshop on a laptop] ... I prefer to paint by hand, but my students mostly only do digital these days, so I have to remain au courant:

yingyangbunnies.jpg

I should note it is an editorial illustration: the "yin and yang of following philosophical rabbits down rabbit holes."
    Last edited by tooblue; 08-15-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Baka yaro!

Not a lot of google hits, but the ones I do see most definitely do NOT look like traditional Japanese calligraphy. As noted by this comment:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture.../#.WZNmHneGPmE

He had a unique style, but every character screams "gaijin".
    That link goes to a glowing obituary of the man and there are zero comments. Look at the way he uses WOOD BLOCKS to actually make it look like it's snowing, or the camo pattern on the tree trunk to simulate light and shadow coming through a canopy. Check the scale of things against what a photograph would show, and you can almost see yourself there, like you jumped into a Mary Poppins borderline-fauvist landscape.
    Last edited by wuapinmon; 08-15-2017 at 07:50 PM.

For a client. Original ballpoint pen drawing, digitally colourized [iPad Pro/pencil & Photoshop on a laptop] ... I prefer to paint by hand, but my students mostly only do digital these days, so I have to remain au courant:

yingyangbunnies.jpg
    That's really cool. Is it really painting if it is done digitally?

Grantland Rice, 1924

That's really cool. Is it really painting if it is done digitally?
    Yes, it's a painting. The tools are making it harder and harder to tell the difference between real and digital. Here is one of the rabbit ballpoint pen drawings scanned:

rabbit_ballpointpen.jpg

Here it is after it was painted on an iPad Pro and exported to Photoshop on my laptop:

rabbit_ballpointpen_digpaintediPad.jpg
    Last edited by tooblue; 08-15-2017 at 09:03 PM.

That link goes to a glowing obituary of the man and there are zero comments. Look at the way he uses WOOD BLOCKS to actually make it look like it's snowing, or the camo pattern on the tree trunk to simulate light and shadow coming through a canopy. Check the scale of things against what a photograph would show, and you can almost see yourself there, like you jumped into a Mary Poppins borderline-fauvist landscape.
    He looks like a fantastic artist. I was just commenting on the one bit of calligraphy!

Didn't realize tooblue was an artist. I've always wanted to draw/paint/sculpt, but I've got no skills.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

I should note it is an editorial illustration: the "yin and yang of following philosophical rabbits down rabbit holes."
    Impressive, TB!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Didn't realize tooblue was an artist. I've always wanted to draw/paint/sculpt, but I've got no skills.
    I also have no draw/paint/sculpt skills, which has probably contributed to my lack of interest in producing drawings/paintings/sculptures.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

This is what happens when I try to draw from memory. The other day, my son's horse jumped and took a few hops. He looked like he was a goner, lost a stirrup and was leaning toward the outside when he found his determination and reached down to hold on and make the ride. I can see it clearly in my mind but can't make it to paper. The look on his face when he stayed on was priceless: a combination of amazement and pride.

Edit: I didn't mean for the first shot to be so large. It's only sketched on a 5x8 notepad in a portrait view with a regular #2 pencil. Aside from being hard to see, the first attachment was way too magnified.

Russ.jpg
    Last edited by cowboy; 08-26-2017 at 06:53 AM.

Grantland Rice, 1924

Wuap, thanks for introducing us to Clifton.

TooBlue: I would love to learn more digital art, even though it feels like cheating because I often scan in and oversketch photos on my ipad pro. Unlike talents like Cowboy who dont even do plein air. Your work is amazing. Thanks for the references.

What digital apps would you recommend? I use Procreate for almost everything, and Adobe for lettering.