Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 110

Thread: Calling Artists and Art Lovers

  1. #61

    Default

    I didn't notice the pics I posted last night were sideways. Fixed now. I still don't understand why they are so big. They both are a lot smaller in real life, so my mistakes are really magnified. The lines are made with a fine point ball point pen, to give you an idea of the magnification.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  2. #62
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,544

    Default

    Yongsung Kim is the latest artist to sweep through Mormondom (although I don't think he is LDS). Prior to his Christian period, he was a hyper realist. This is his most popular work here in Utah:






    This one is my favorite, and far less known. There is no print or giclee for it, but Kim says maybe in January. He calls this The Outer Garment of the Lord, and I like that it is about the woman with the issue of blood.


  3. #63
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Yongsung Kim is the latest artist to sweep through Mormondom (although I don't think he is LDS). Prior to his Christian period, he was a hyper realist. This is his most popular work here in Utah:

    This one is my favorite, and far less known. There is no print or giclee for it, but Kim says maybe in January. He calls this The Outer Garment of the Lord, and I like that it is about the woman with the issue of blood.
    We have the first one in our home. I like it. I love that story.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  4. #64

    Default

    Figured I needed to do a sketch of the next prophet. Completed from start to finish in church. Not my best, but I was a little rushed.
    Last edited by cowboy; 01-09-2018 at 07:16 AM.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  5. #65
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,544

    Default

    keep posting your work for us to enjoy

  6. #66

    Default

    My friend in the Marine Corps flew out to help me bring cows home. Takes a good friend to fly to Wyoming in January to help a buddy who's laid up. Anyway, I never get tired of seeing cattle lined out for two miles when they trail. He had this picture taken, and I sketched it to send home with him as a token of appreciation. I tried different sized pens and it helped me with some of the details, but capturing a herd of cows in the distance is really tough. Not my best work, but overall I think I'm happy with it. The proportions are consistent with the picture, so that's progress. These pictures are extreme closeups of the originals, so it magnifies the errors of my lines.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  7. #67
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,544

    Default

    Imagine if you will, the cows are an elephant's head and trunk, and the elephant is spitting out a bunch of seeds. The lead cow in the stream of seeds is my favorite thing about this drawing. It really looks like the lead cow, shirking against the cold and snow.

  8. #68

    Default

    I tried pencils with this one. My wife gave me pencils, charcoal, and various sized pens with a large tablet for Christmas, and it's been fun to experiment.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  9. #69
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    I tried pencils with this one. My wife gave me pencils, charcoal, and various sized pens with a large tablet for Christmas, and it's been fun to experiment.
    I like this one best of all that you've done. The lines not being so clean gives it an airy feel. You also did a solid job of conveying the devotion a dog feels and expresses to its owner. I also think the move from black to brown better simulates the colors of the landscape you're representing.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  10. #70
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,250

    Default

    Dang I'll have to find my old paintings and post up some acrylics of the Wu Tang Clan I did back in high school!
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  11. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I like this one best of all that you've done. The lines not being so clean gives it an airy feel. You also did a solid job of conveying the devotion a dog feels and expresses to its owner. I also think the move from black to brown better simulates the colors of the landscape you're representing.
    Thank you. Several people have told me that. I think a lot of it is that it's just a great picture (taken by my daughter, who is very talented). Also, the pencil makes it softer, and allows me to put more detail and better smooth the shades. Practice has helped, as well; I'm learning with every drawing.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  12. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    Thank you. Several people have told me that. I think a lot of it is that it's just a great picture (taken by my daughter, who is very talented). Also, the pencil makes it softer, and allows me to put more detail and better smooth the shades. Practice has helped, as well; I'm learning with every drawing.
    Strong drawings Cowboy

  13. #73

    Default

    This is the unfinished version of a painting my daughter is working on from the picture I sketched above. She has talent.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  14. #74

    Default

    yes she does. very impressive, cowboy.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  15. #75
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,375

    Default

    She is very talented, and I love the effects on the moon she's done. One question for her...the angle she's rendered makes it look like the horse is wearing a hat because there's not enough contrast between the hat brim and the horse's neck. IN your drawing, it's just a little bit more noticeable to me. Is the hat placement intentional?
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  16. #76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    She is very talented, and I love the effects on the moon she's done. One question for her...the angle she's rendered makes it look like the horse is wearing a hat because there's not enough contrast between the hat brim and the horse's neck. IN your drawing, it's just a little bit more noticeable to me. Is the hat placement intentional?
    That's a good question. There is more contrast in the actual painting, but I'll have to ask her. She has a natural artistic eye, and has long been taking pictures that capture moments and emotion. It wasn't until I saw this, her first ever painting, that I began to think that she could actually make some money as an artist. She is an incredibly multi-talented person, and her challenge in life will be deciding what she won't do, not what she will.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  17. #77
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,531

    Default

    I love the fact that you can tell she loves her dogs. As a dog person...that is my favorite part of the painting. Not the ones being pet, but the one on the ground scratching his back.

  18. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    She is very talented, and I love the effects on the moon she's done. ...
    I could be wrong, but I believe that's glare in the picture, and not part of the painting.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  19. #79

    Default

    Same daughter took the picture I sketched this from.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  20. #80

    Default

    I was cleaning out my Sunday folder the other day and I came upon some of my original artwork. I thought it worth sharing. All of the drawings on this napkin were done during a single Ward Council. Lest your minds be blown, you should know that this was a particularly lengthy Ward Council, where we discussed the recent Halloween Carnival/Fall Festival, the upcoming Thanksgiving needs for some struggling families in the ward, and we also laid out the initial plans for the forthcoming ward Christmas party. So there was plenty of time for me to accomplish all of these in a single sitting.

    Not to toot my own horn too much, but while these drawings may seem like they are from pictures, they are actually entirely from my own imagination (Well, all of them except for the sea shell, which is merely my my tracing of the embroidery on the napkin. But pretty good tracing, right?)

    Anyway, I’m not going to be modest and say this isn’t my best work—it definitely is. And that is why I feel the need to share. Please keep the feedback positive. TIA


    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  21. #81
    Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,085

    Default

    I like how multiple holidays are represented. Good job picasshole

  22. #82
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I was cleaning out my Sunday folder the other day and I came upon some of my original artwork. I thought it worth sharing. All of the drawings on this napkin were done during a single Ward Council. Lest your minds be blown, you should know that this was a particularly lengthy Ward Council, where we discussed the recent Halloween Carnival/Fall Festival, the upcoming Thanksgiving needs for some struggling families in the ward, and we also laid out the initial plans for the forthcoming ward Christmas party. So there was plenty of time for me to accomplish all of these in a single sitting.

    Not to toot my own horn too much, but while these drawings may seem like they are from pictures, they are actually entirely from my own imagination (Well, all of them except for the sea shell, which is merely my my tracing of the embroidery on the napkin. But pretty good tracing, right?)

    Anyway, I’m not going to be modest and say this isn’t my best work—it definitely is. And that is why I feel the need to share. Please keep the feedback positive. TIA


    I'm pressed that you didn't tear through the napkin.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  23. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I was cleaning out my Sunday folder the other day and I came upon some of my original artwork. I thought it worth sharing. All of the drawings on this napkin were done during a single Ward Council. Lest your minds be blown, you should know that this was a particularly lengthy Ward Council, where we discussed the recent Halloween Carnival/Fall Festival, the upcoming Thanksgiving needs for some struggling families in the ward, and we also laid out the initial plans for the forthcoming ward Christmas party. So there was plenty of time for me to accomplish all of these in a single sitting.

    Not to toot my own horn too much, but while these drawings may seem like they are from pictures, they are actually entirely from my own imagination (Well, all of them except for the sea shell, which is merely my my tracing of the embroidery on the napkin. But pretty good tracing, right?)

    Anyway, I’m not going to be modest and say this isn’t my best work—it definitely is. And that is why I feel the need to share. Please keep the feedback positive. TIA
    It might be the fact that I haven't eaten anything since this morning, but that turkey looks delicious.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  24. #84
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Any of you guys ever hear of "The Gnarled Branch" dude? He goes to thrift stores and buys cheap paintings/prints and then "redirects" them by putting some additions on the paintings. He has an FB page, Instagram, Etsy, etc.

    https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/TheGnarledBranch/items
    https://www.instagram.com/thegnarledbranch/
    https://www.redbubble.com/shop/the+g...ordion=product

    It is kitsch and cheesy as hell, but I love it. Seriously considering buying a copy of the Matt Foley print.

    A few examples:


    This 3D duck art re-do is awesome.

    https://www.instagram.com/p/BfJ14vhB...egnarledbranch

    Is there a better way to link to an instagram pic?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  25. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    This 3D duck art re-do is awesome.

    https://www.instagram.com/p/BfJ14vhB...egnarledbranch

    Is there a better way to link to an instagram pic?
    That guy has some cool stuff. I can't figure instagram links out either.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  26. #86
    it's all a blur mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Is there a better way to link to an instagram pic?
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    That guy has some cool stuff. I can't figure instagram links out either.
    How's this?

  27. #87
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    How's this?
    Hey! How did you do that?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  28. #88
    it's all a blur mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Hey! How did you do that?
    Here's a tutorial.
    1) Open the Developer Tools window in the browser.
    Click on the Select icon (all browsers have this on the left) - see orange arrow
    Then click on the picture that you want to select
    instagram grab 1.jpg

    2) When you select the picture you want, it highlights it with the blue transparency layer and also shows the current <div> tag.
    instagram grab 2.jpg

    3) Click the <div> above it to open the html code. You can see the <img> tag that references the image you want.
    instagram grab 3.jpg

    4) Right click on the <img> tag to get the context menu, then click "Copy link address". You could also click "Open in new tab". Voila, you've got your image.
    instagram grab 4.jpg

  29. #89
    it's all a blur mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    Lebowski will be offline for a while so he can save the past year's worth of grandkid pics....

  30. #90
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    Here's a tutorial.
    1) Open the Developer Tools window in the browser.
    Click on the Select icon (all browsers have this on the left) - see orange arrow
    Then click on the picture that you want to select
    Ha!

    OK, I already know how to do that one. That is what I did to get the animated gif of BY shaking his head the other day. I was just wondering if there is a simpler method. I don't want to go to that much effort just to save you guys a few clicks.

    Thanks.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •