No announcement yet.

Calling Artists and Art Lovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe not the right thread, but I wanted to post some work by the son of a woman whom I tutor. I've mentioned it before, but I signed up as tutor at our local library to assist those who are new to the USA (or, in Trumpian terms, those who are infesting our country). I really wish those who fear the effects of refugees and immigrants would get to know some of them. No doubt there are unfortunate exceptions, but the large majority of those I've met are very motivated to better themselves and their families, and to make a contribution to their new homeland. One woman i've been working with for over a year came here from China. She's very bright, loves to learn and is raising two talented young kids. She has a son who is a sophmore in high school and (at least to my untrained eye) is a great artist--he's hoping to get into a top design or art school in two years. Here are three of his recent works in which he's tried different styles. The first is entitled "Night Falls in San Francisco," the second is an abstract piece reflecting his concern about poachers in Africa, and the third is a portrait he calls simply "Old Man in Costume." Having recently read the Da Vinci bio, I've gained a deeper appreciation for artists who use light and shading effectively--this kid's doing that at an early age (he'll be a junior this year).

Night Falls in San Francisco[1].jpg

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Old man in costume by Shangxi Wu[2].jpg

Comment

• That “Old Man” is excellent.

Really cool work you are doing PAC. I think I would enjoy doing something like that. Given that most ESL students have better grammar than I do, I’m not sure how much help I would be.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        Maybe not the right thread, but I wanted to post some work by the son of a woman whom I tutor. I've mentioned it before, but I signed up as tutor at our local library to assist those who are new to the USA (or, in Trumpian terms, those who are infesting our country). I really wish those who fear the effects of refugees and immigrants would get to know some of them. No doubt there are unfortunate exceptions, but the large majority of those I've met are very motivated to better themselves and their families, and to make a contribution to their new homeland. One woman i've been working with for over a year came here from China. She's very bright, loves to learn and is raising two talented young kids. She has a son who is a sophmore in high school and (at least to my untrained eye) is a great artist--he's hoping to get into a top design or art school in two years. Here are three of his recent works in which he's tried different styles. The first is entitled "Night Falls in San Francisco," the second is an abstract piece reflecting his concern about poachers in Africa, and the third is a portrait he calls simply "Old Man in Costume." Having recently read the Da Vinci bio, I've gained a deeper appreciation for artists who use light and shading effectively--this kid's doing that at an early age (he'll be a junior this year).

[ATTACH]8925[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8926[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8927[/ATTACH]
        Great work—he will get into whatever art and design school he wants.

Comment

• MEET THE ILLUSTRATOR DIVERSIFYING AIRBNB'S IMAGE

https://www.wired.com/story/jennifer...ations-airbnb/

"IN HER FIRST few days working at Airbnb, Jennifer Hom saw that she had her work cut out for her. Hom had been hired as the company's first full-time illustrator, tasked with updating the bubbly cartoon figures spattered throughout the website and app. When she asked her coworkers what they most wanted to change about the illustrations—ones that showed stick-figures holding up cameras, or trading keys to their apartments—it wasn't the inconsistent style that bothered people. It was who the illustrated people looked like."

Comment

• Reimagining Norman Rockwell’s America

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/a...&region=Footer

This is my favourite of the images:

Comment

• This kid is 12 years old and helped us brand calves last spring. Most we're bigger than him by a couple hundred pounds. It took me 7 months, but I finally finished sketching this photo.

I wanted it to turn out better, but I'm not where I'd like to be with my abilities. I'm in that no-man's-land of good enough to have people recognize what they see, but not good enough to hang it on the wall.

Last edited by cowboy; 12-07-2018, 05:48 PM.
              sigpic
              "Outlined against a blue, gray
              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• pix?

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                  pix?
                  It's a whiteout.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

pix?
                    I think I fixed it, but it's usually sideways when I post from my phone.
                    sigpic
                    Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• That first picture seems influenced by Nighthawks:

Comment

At the risk of mockery at my childlike efforts, I've raised my coloring book skilz to the shading level. The latest rage among crafters with very little talent: you buy a coloring book, but instead of block colors, you shade in between the lines.
                        [ATTACH]8356[/ATTACH]
                        Why did I never see this post? Why would anyone mock you—your shading is good, what else have you done?

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                          Why did I never see this post? Why would anyone mock you—your shading is good, what else have you done?
                          Because mocking people is an entertaining past time for a few people here. I probably deserve it more than most, because this is an important community to me and I share a lot of things I probably wouldn't to my friends IRL. But it doesn't take much for me to clam back up, either. I used to post in this thread a lot more, and decided to pretty much stop. When people are self-conscious about their ability, it's pretty easy to make them stop sharing.

I'm thin skinned that way.

And I agree. KLs work is cool. I wish I could distinguish colors well enough to try painting.
                          sigpic
                          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                            Because mocking people is an entertaining past time for a few people here. I probably deserve it more than most, because this is an important community to me and I share a lot of things I probably wouldn't to my friends IRL. But it doesn't take much for me to clam back up, either. I used to post in this thread a lot more, and decided to pretty much stop. When people are self-conscious about their ability, it's pretty easy to make them stop sharing.

I'm thin skinned that way.

And I agree. KLs work is cool. I wish I could distinguish colors well enough to try painting.
                            This post makes me sad, and it would be easy for me to just say to you ignore the comments and post anyway, but then I don't really share my art much so ... If it helps in some way I will post some art with the idea to encourage you and others to post more.

Making art is like anything else—the more you do it the better you get at it. Drawing is a learnable skill, so is painting, and being colour blind shouldn't stop you. Peter Milton is colour blind:

https://www.npr.org/2014/11/16/36409...lack-and-white

Per my practice, I have been teaching myself / experimenting with new painting techniques. Below are two studies I completed in the past few months. They are abstract representational images made in response to my time spent in the conservation area where I regularly hike and related to many of the photos I have been sharing in the photography thread.

25.625” x 19.5” - Water colour and Acrylic on paper

Last edited by tooblue; 01-06-2019, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• I don't recall anyone mocking your stuff cowboy. Is it in this thread?
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                                I don't recall anyone mocking your stuff cowboy. Is it in this thread?
                                I don't recall you mocking it either.
                                sigpic
                                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Working...
                                X