BYU Women's Soccer 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU Women's Soccer 2017

BYU won its last exhibition game against UO Sooners 1-0 in Norman over the weekend.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Originally posted by Topper View Post
    BYU won its last exhibition game against UO Sooners 1-0 in Norman over the weekend.
    It was a fun game. BYU really outplayed them. They should have put 4 or 5 into the net but OU had a very good goalkeeper who came up with 6 or so saves. The first ten minutes OU looked really good, but BYU adjusted to what they were doing and dominated the match from there. After the game Coach Rockwood said OU came out in a look they weren't expecting but BYU eventually took advantage of their playing only three defenders.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
      It was a fun game. BYU really outplayed them. They should have put 4 or 5 into the net but OU had a very good goalkeeper who came up with 6 or so saves. The first ten minutes OU looked really good, but BYU adjusted to what they were doing and dominated the match from there. After the game Coach Rockwood said OU came out in a look they weren't expecting but BYU eventually took advantage of their playing only three defenders.
      Soccercats fall 3-1 against unranked Penn State. That sucks, but Penn State had the number 1 or 4th ranked recruiting class. Still sucks to lose to an unranked team.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Soccercats fall 3-1 against unranked Penn State. That sucks, but Penn State had the number 1 or 4th ranked recruiting class. Still sucks to lose to an unranked team.
        do they really call them the soccercats? I don't like that.

Penn state is #1 in this poll: https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/coll...rankings/women

Comment

From what I heard on BYUSN, the PSU team was unranked because 5-6 of their players were with one of the U.S. national teams for international play last season. All of those girls are back at school this season.
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Herosports.com shows the Bennett rankings. I guess it's like the Sagarins for college soccer. The schedule so far has been beyond tough. Look at how it ranks BYU's oppenents. It currently has BYU without a win at #55.

Penn State: 5 (loss)
            Ohio State: 14 (tie)
            CS-Fullerton: 36 (tie)
            UCLA: 4 (loss)
            Colorado: 22 (loss)

Coming up:
            Utah: 23
            Oregon St.: 89
            Arizona: 61
            Kansas: 30
            UVU: 233

It's going to start to get a little easier. Colorado definitely got away from them. I hope they're not losing confidence. They played a very good game against UCLA, which at the very least should have been a tie with Gomes missing what should have been a sure breakaway goal late in the game.

Comment

Herosports.com shows the Bennett rankings. I guess it's like the Sagarins for college soccer. The schedule so far has been beyond tough. Look at how it ranks BYU's oppenents. It currently has BYU without a win at #55.

Penn State: 5 (loss)
              Ohio State: 14 (tie)
              CS-Fullerton: 36 (tie)
              UCLA: 4 (loss)
              Colorado: 22 (loss)

Coming up:
              Utah: 23
              Oregon St.: 89
              Arizona: 61
              Kansas: 30
              UVU: 233

It's going to start to get a little easier. Colorado definitely got away from them. I hope they're not losing confidence. They played a very good game against UCLA, which at the very least should have been a tie with Gomes missing what should have been a sure breakaway goal late in the game.
              There is no offensive cohesion with this group, and I haven't focused upon the backline. I am not sold on this team as I was on last year's team. They may also lose to Utah, damn it all.

Comment

Soccercats still winless as they tied the Utes. This will be one of Coach's worst teams in a long time.

Comment

Soccercats still winless as they tied the Utes. This will be one of Coach's worst teams in a long time.
                  Nice 3-0 win over OSU last night. Sure, OSU isn't that good, but that's what you're supposed to do against a not great team. BYU ranks #1 in the nation in SOS right now, so it's kind of hard to judge this as the worst team ever when they've never had a schedule like this. Let's see how they do against Arizona and Kansas, which are both pretty good, but beatable teams. I think they're coming around.

https://herosports.com/rankings/coll...-womens-soccer
                  Last edited by BlueK; 09-12-2017, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Nice 3-0 win over OSU last night. Sure, OSU isn't that good, but that's what you're supposed to do against a not great team. BYU ranks #1 in the nation in SOS right now, so it's kind of hard to judge this as the worst team ever when they've never had a schedule like this. Let's see how they do against Arizona and Kansas, which are both pretty good, but beatable teams. I think they're coming around.

https://herosports.com/rankings/coll...-womens-soccer
                    Topper says it's the worst team in years. SOS doesn't matter. If he could catch a game in person, he would boo this terrible team in order to turn the season around.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                      Topper says it's the worst team in years. SOS doesn't matter. If he could catch a game in person, he would boo this terrible team in order to turn the season around.
                      I've seen almost every game, including the exhibition at Oklahoma. Penn State was the only one I didn't watch. I would say the Colorado game was by far their worst played, but that wasn't close to their toughest opponent, although still a good team. I thought UCLA was the best team they played, and yet we were one botched point-blank miss from Gomes that should have gone in and another post-hitting miss from Elise Flake from winning that game. We played even with Utah and Ohio State which are top 15-25 level teams. We're not bad. The schedule has just been ridiculously hard. It really seemed like it paid off in last night's game though. Arizona and Kansas coming up are two more NCAA tournament level teams, but teams we are prepared to play after what we've faced so far. I think the confidence from the road win last night will help.

Also, hopefully Mikayla Colohan can get back into the lineup soon. Just a freshman, but super talented, and in the first couple of games before she hurt her ankle I think she has already showed some signs of potentially becoming that Michele Vasconcelos-type difference maker in the midfield. She didn't start the exhibition against OU but showed enough for Rockwood to play her all 90 minutes against PSU and the entire game against Ohio State before getting hurt. And Rockwood usually only plays her most important 3-4 players for all 90 minutes.
                      Last edited by BlueK; 09-12-2017, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

Good ol' Topper - just doing his part!

Comment

I've seen almost every game, including the exhibition at Oklahoma. Penn State was the only one I didn't watch. I would say the Colorado game was by far their worst played, but that wasn't close to their toughest opponent, although still a good team. I thought UCLA was the best team they played, and yet we were one botched point-blank miss from Gomes that should have gone in and another post-hitting miss from Elise Flake from winning that game. We played even with Utah and Ohio State which are top 15-25 level teams. We're not bad. The schedule has just been ridiculously hard. It really seemed like it paid off in last night's game though. Arizona and Kansas coming up are two more NCAA tournament level teams, but teams we are prepared to play after what we've faced so far. I think the confidence from the road win last night will help.

Also, hopefully Mikayla Colohan can get back into the lineup soon. Just a freshman, but super talented, and in the first couple of games before she hurt her ankle I think she has already showed some signs of potentially becoming that Michele Vasconcelos-type difference maker in the midfield. She didn't start the exhibition against OU but showed enough for Rockwood to play her all 90 minutes against PSU and the entire game against Ohio State before getting hurt. And Rockwood usually only plays her most important 3-4 players for all 90 minutes.
                          SOS matters but the team struggles to score and I will continue to watch on the TV.

They will start winning because except for Santa Clara the competition in conference isn't very difficult.

Comment

SOS matters but the team struggles to score and I will continue to watch on the TV.

They will start winning because except for Santa Clara the competition in conference isn't very difficult.
                            most teams would struggle to score against the teams we've been playing. We didn't struggle to score in the last game against a team that is not terrible but a couple of steps down from the UCLAs and Penn States. We'll see how it goes against Arizona and Kansas. If we can do well in those then the season is definitely salvageable.
                            Last edited by BlueK; 09-13-2017, 10:43 AM.

Comment

most teams would struggle to score against the teams we've been playing. We didn't struggle to score in the last game against a team that is not terrible but a couple of steps down from the UCLAs and Penn States. We'll see how it goes against Arizona and Kansas. If we can do well in those then the season is definitely salvageable.
                              At first I thought this was a post about the football team.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                              X