Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Publishing a book for children

  1. #1
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    8,500

    Default Publishing a book for children

    Anyone have any experience with any facet of getting a children's book published?

    I played a rhyming game at bed time with my 8-year-old earlier this week that led me to write a 650-word story that could be used as a children's picture book. The story is about Fred and his brother Ned who use their collective imaginations to ride a sled to the Planet Zed.

    Illustration is way beyond my skill set, but might be right up my younger brother's alley. He's interested in giving it a shot.

    I'm guessing that the e-reader market doesn't work that well for picture books, so it would probably need to be published on actual paper.

    Who should I be talking to? What are my next steps?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  2. #2
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    27,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Anyone have any experience with any facet of getting a children's book published?

    I played a rhyming game at bed time with my 8-year-old earlier this week that led me to write a 650-word story that could be used as a children's picture book. The story is about Fred and his brother Ned who use their collective imaginations to ride a sled to the Planet Zed.

    Illustration is way beyond my skill set, but might be right up my younger brother's alley. He's interested in giving it a shot.

    I'm guessing that the e-reader market doesn't work that well for picture books, so it would probably need to be published on actual paper.

    Who should I be talking to? What are my next steps?
    I published 200 copies of a book with these guys in 2001 and again in 2002. They did a great job. If you wanted to self-publish, Quark Xpress is a good desktop publisher and MC Printing can publish Quark files. https://www.facebook.com/MC-Printing-200325633489551/
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  3. #3

    Default

    Is that when you said
    to go to bed
    but then you fell and hit your head
    'til it bled
    and turned the carpet red?

    This is fun! Good for you. Publish away. Your kids will love it.

  4. #4
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I published 200 copies of a book with these guys in 2001 and again in 2002. They did a great job. If you wanted to self-publish, Quark Xpress is a good desktop publisher and MC Printing can publish Quark files. https://www.facebook.com/MC-Printing-200325633489551/
    Thanks. What type of book did you publish with them - novel, children's book, etc.? Do you remember the cost?
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Is that when you said
    to go to bed
    but then you fell and hit your head
    'til it bled
    and turned the carpet red?

    This is fun! Good for you. Publish away. Your kids will love it.
    I used all of those rhyming words except bled. I didn't see a way to use without it feeling force fed. Without using bled I may have lost some street cred.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  5. #5

    Default

    Here's my constructive criticism: 650 words is a lot (like a lot lot) for a picture book that I'm going to read to my kids. In fact, when it comes to story time, I'm definitely avoiding that book at all costs. Maybe you love your kids more than I love mine. So be it. But if you want to move books, that's just too long.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  6. #6
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Here's my constructive criticism: 650 words is a lot (like a lot lot) for a picture book that I'm going to read to my kids. In fact, when it comes to story time, I'm definitely avoiding that book at all costs. Maybe you love your kids more than I love mine. So be it. But if you want to move books, that's just too long.
    They're small words.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  7. #7
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    8,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Here's my constructive criticism: 650 words is a lot (like a lot lot) for a picture book that I'm going to read to my kids. In fact, when it comes to story time, I'm definitely avoiding that book at all costs. Maybe you love your kids more than I love mine. So be it. But if you want to move books, that's just too long.
    So I've made some edits that make it shorter - about 540 words now. Makes it a little easier for parents to read at bedtime and makes it easier for my brother to illustrate.

    Another big change is that I converted a character from Fred to Merced (though I don't mention the conversion in the text). Anyone know any other girl names that rhyme with Fred (other than Winifred)?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •