Top 5 BYU RBs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 BYU RBs

This discussion is what led to the Poppinga/Stevenson Twitter divorce. Poppinga put Staley at #6 and criticized some personal characteristics. DS did what DS does best: burnt a bridge.

Again, I don't have the group's history with the program. Ronnie Jenkins was the first BYU RB I recall seeing (97-98 games vs. ASU)

1. Harvey Unga: If not for his early exit, Jamaal would not have surpassed his record. Although he never had a season like Staley's his combination of size and speed was beautiful. Hat tip to Manse Tonga.
    2. Luke Staley: 2001 was head and shoulders the best season by a RB in BYU history. In my mind, I want to make Staley #1, but for whatever reason, I just couldn't do it. Staley still holds the record for most rushing TDs in BYU history.
    3. Jamaal Williams: #3 on my list, but #1 in my heart.
    4. Curtis Brown: Great runner and pass catcher out of the backfield.
    5. Jamaal Willis: First RB to rush for 1000 yds in consecutive seasons. Ended as all-time leading rusher.

Honorable Mention:

Ronnie Jenkins: only knock is that we didn't get to see enough of him.
    Matt Bellini: while his rushing numbers are below average, dude had over 200 receptions.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    This discussion is what led to the Poppinga/Stevenson Twitter divorce. Poppinga put Staley at #6 and criticized some personal characteristics. DS did what DS does best: burnt a bridge.

Again, I don't have the group's history with the program. Ronnie Jenkins was the first BYU RB I recall seeing (97-98 games vs. ASU)

1. Harvey Unga: If not for his early exit, Jamaal would not have surpassed his record. Although he never had a season like Staley's his combination of size and speed was beautiful. Hat tip to Manse Tonga.
    2. Luke Staley: 2001 was head and shoulders the best season by a RB in BYU history. In my mind, I want to make Staley #1, but for whatever reason, I just couldn't do it. Staley still holds the record for most rushing TDs in BYU history.
    5. Jamaal Willis: First RB to rush for 1000 yds in consecutive seasons. Ended as all-time leading rusher.

Honorable Mention:

Matt Bellini: while his rushing numbers are below average, dude had over 200 receptions.
    Two others worthy of consideration as great backs.

Pete Van Walkenberg, whom PAC and 71 can describe, and Lakei Heimuli.

In terms of which back I would want, when healthy, for any BYU team, it would have been Staley first, Ronny Jenkins, second and Williams third.

In terms of reliability, I would have wanted Williams, Unga, Brown and Willis.

I forget the names of some of those backs during the Wilson-McMahon era but despite a lack gaudy numbers we had several very capable backs. Later, we had MacKenzie and Tuipoloutou (sp?) who was quite explosive and deceptive.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Honorable Mention:

No mention of BYU's first All-American? The guy who led the nation in total offense during his senior season? The first to have his jersey retired?
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        No mention of BYU's first All-American? The guy who led the nation in total offense during his senior season? The first to have his jersey retired?
        You should mention him. He may have played before I was born.

Comment

1. Luke Staley
          2. Harvey Unga
          3. Jamaal Williams
          4. Curtis Brown
          5. Jamal Willis

Comment

Only one on that list I named a child after.

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke.

Comment

You should mention him. He may have played before I was born.
              Eldon.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                Only one on that list I named a child after.

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke.
                Be honest. You wanted to say, "Luke...I am your father."

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                  Be honest. You wanted to say, "Luke...I am your father."
                  ok, that too. I wore the t-shirt for his birth.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                    ok, that too. I wore the t-shirt for his birth.
                    I unintentionally (Freud may disagree) wore a Bob Ross t-shirt that said, "No mistakes; just happy accidents" to the birth of my last (hopefully) child.

Comment

If we go based on career rushing yards, the top 5 would be:
                      1) Jamaal Williams
                      2) Harvey Unga
                      3) Curtis Brown
                      4) Jamal Willis
                      5) Taysom Hill

If you go by TDs:
                      1) Staley (41)
                      2) Harvey (36)
                      3) Jamaal (35)
                      4) Willis (35)
                      5) Taysom (32)

I think Staley easily had the best season of anyone -- also the biggest moment, high stepping down the sideline in 2001. His durability was an issue.

My final list (I think) would be:

1) Jamaal Williams: He was so good last year, fought through a lot of adversity through his time at BYU. Never quit. Had a unique style. How many other RBs has BYU had drafted? Any higher than Jamaal? (I don't think so, FWIW) His personality and the way he carried the team last year, shifting, running, punishing guys puts him at the top for me.
                      2) Luke Staley: His peak was the top of anybody, and it probably isn't close. Signature moment down the sidelines pushes him up for me.
                      3) Jamal Willis: May be a bit of a personal bias here, I loved watching Willis. Big, strong, and fast, he retired as the career rushing leader at BYU. I
                      4) Harvey Unga: It's probably wrong having him this low, but I think Unga was a solid back who benefitted from a longer career.
                      5) Tie: Eldon Fortie/Pete Van V: I don't know enough about these guys to comment. Fortie was the first BYU player to have his jersey retired. Pete led the NCAA in rushing his senior year.

Honorable Mention:
                      Curtis Brown
                      Taysom Hill (Ask Texas and Mack Brown)
                      Lakei Heimuli
                      Jeff Blancc
                      Ronnie Jenkins (Would've easily made the list had his career lasted)
                      Brian McKenzie

Comment

taysom's rushing stats are ridiculous
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I'm taking Luke over anyone else.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            The only guys to have watched him were 71 and PAC. 71 probably played with Eldon Fortie, but Pete V.W. led his senior year.
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Working...
                            X