Bike sharing in Seattle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike sharing in Seattle.

I just read an interesting article about bike sharing in Seattle. I've seen it in Santiago Chile and I think they do it in Buenos Aires too. The first attempt in Seattle with designated areas for the rental bikes failed. The new attempt lets you leave the bike anywhere in town as long as it's a place you can legally park a bicycle. One of the biggest problems they seem to have is that King County has a bicycle helmet law for ALL riders and the bikes don't come with helmets. That, and the bicycles all tend to end up at the bottom of the hills there.

If you've ever wondered about renting a bike for half an hour, to ride somewhere instead of taking the bus or walking, you might find this interesting.

https://arstechnica.com/business/201...ory-alleyways/

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    I just read an interesting article about bike sharing in Seattle. I've seen it in Santiago Chile and I think they do it in Buenos Aires too. The first attempt in Seattle with designated areas for the rental bikes failed. The new attempt lets you leave the bike anywhere in town as long as it's a place you can legally park a bicycle. One of the biggest problems they seem to have is that King County has a bicycle helmet law for ALL riders and the bikes don't come with helmets. That, and the bicycles all tend to end up at the bottom of the hills there.

If you've ever wondered about renting a bike for half an hour, to ride somewhere instead of taking the bus or walking, you might find this interesting.

https://arstechnica.com/business/201...ory-alleyways/

They need to do this in my city... We don't have mandatory helmet law or hills. Of course, that doesn't apply to other Texas cities like Austin. Those folks could get these paper helmets, however: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ly-a-good-idea

Edit: I personally would opt for the bike airbag... Helmets mess up my hair.

Last edited by Uncle Ted; 07-24-2017, 09:31 AM.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

We have it in SLC. It's actually fun to get a group together and ride around downtown stopping for this and that along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        We have it in SLC. It's actually fun to get a group together and ride around downtown stopping for this and that along the way.
        Sounds like this new Seattle program is different than SLC and Minneapolis and all the other cities that have bikeshares with docks around downtown areas. Citibike here in NYC has covered all of Manhattan from the top of the park and expanded into parts of Brooklyn and Long Island City. I recently bought a year membership even though I have to ride two subway stops to get to the neareast dock at 110th. I have been riding home from work 5 days a week and occasionally I ride to work as well but I get sweaty enough that I don't do that often. it's about a 20 to 25 minute ride for me, but I go as hard as I safely can and get my heart rate up pretty high. I like it because on weeks that I am really bad about exercising I'm at least getting once a weekday where I get a nice little cardio session. It isn't much but it's better than nothing. Most of the ride is through the park, but I have about 30 blocks between the bottom of the park and my office. Mixing with Manhattan traffic isn't as bad as I thought it would be but I'm always glad when I get to the park.

I still don't understand exactly how the Seattle program works. You can literally leave it anywhere? Even with those locks that make the bikes unrideable without a code, dock-less bikes here would all end up in the East River.

Comment

https://greenbikeslc.org/

details of the SLC program.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
            I still don't understand exactly how the Seattle program works. You can literally leave it anywhere? Even with those locks that make the bikes unrideable without a code, dock-less bikes here would all end up in the East River.
            This is how:

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
              This is how:

Those poor people of Seattle... they have to wear bike helmets and can't even jay walk. That is a police state if I have ever seen one.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
              X