No announcement yet.

2018 BYU Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was watching that Stanford vs UCLA and Hawaii vs Wyoming games late one night last week and every play seemed to be made by a kid who was a BYU target. I know Kalani really has one full year of recruiting, but in order to fix the program and consistently hang with the big programs and not be held under 100 yards, we have to win 90% of these battles.

Look at a few of the kids we have lost:

Dalton Schultz: Bingham graduate, starting TE for Stanford
    Cameron Scarlett: Parents are BYU grads, his dad ran track at BYU in the mid 80s, has 6 rushing touchdowns on the year, RB
    Gabe Reid: Timpview grad, he is redshirting this year, LB
    Simi Fehoko: Cottonwood grad, currently on a mission but Stanford commit, WR
    Sione Lund-Heimuli: Brighton grad, he is redshirting, RB
    Houston Heimuli: Woods cross grad, RB
    Brandon Fanaika, Pleasant Grove grad, Guard

That's 3 Running backs alone that are currently on Stanfords roster, a position we are struggling with this year.

UCLA
    Andre James- Herriman grad, starting left tackle for the Bruins
    Boss Tagaloa- LDS Defensive tackle, played at De La Salle
    Mique Juarez- LB, I know he has had his issues but kid has talent
    Jimmy Jaggers- another Tight End we went hard after that we lost to UCLA. Fills a huge position of need.

Hawaii
    John Ursua- this kid is a Cedar City grad, only a sophomore, plays slot for Hawaii, and has 30 catches for 453 yards and 3 tds on the season.
    Dylan Collie- we all know the story with him, Robert Anae said he didn't fit the system so he left. 75 receptions in 2 seasons could have been useful on this team.
    Fred Ulu-Perry- 4 star lineman we lost to UCLA initially but he has since transferred to Hawaii.

This is Kalanis strength and I know he needs time, but we can't miss on so many guys who are having productive careers elsewhere. This is just based off of 2 gams I was watching. The list is much longer than this. Another big miss is that Gay kicker at Utah, he tried to come to BYU and was told they didn't like his timing on his kicks. WTF? BYU has not made a field goal of 50 yards in over a decade. 140 games!
    Last edited by cougjunkie; 09-26-2017, 03:01 PM.
    *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
      I was watching that Stanford vs UCLA and Hawaii vs Wyoming games late one night last week and every play seemed to be made by a kid who was a BYU target. I know Kalani really has one full year of recruiting, but in order to fix the program and consistently hang with the big programs and not be held under 100 yards, we have to win 90% of these battles.

Look at a few of the kids we have lost:

Dalton Schultz: Bingham graduate, starting TE for Stanford
      Cameron Scarlett: Parents are BYU grads, his dad ran track at BYU in the mid 80s, has 6 rushing touchdowns on the year, RB
      Gabe Reid: Timpview grad, he is redshirting this year, LB
      Simi Fehoko: Cottonwood grad, currently on a mission but Stanford commit, WR
      Sione Lund-Heimuli: Brighton grad, he is redshirting, RB
      Houston Heimuli: Woods cross grad, RB
      Brandon Fanaika, Pleasant Grove grad, Guard

That's 3 Running backs alone that are currently on Stanfords roster, a position we are struggling with this year.

UCLA
      Andre James- Herriman grad, starting left tackle for the Bruins
      Boss Tagaloa- LDS Defensive tackle, played at De La Salle
      Mique Juarez- LB, I know he has had his issues but kid has talent
      Jimmy Jaggers- another Tight End we went hard after that we lost to UCLA. Fills a huge position of need.

Hawaii
      John Ursua- this kid is a Cedar City grad, only a sophomore, plays slot for Hawaii, and has 30 catches for 453 yards and 3 tds on the season.
      Dylan Collie- we all know the story with him, Robert Anae said he didn't fit the system so he left. 75 receptions in 2 seasons could have been useful on this team.
      Fred Ulu-Perry- 4 star lineman we lost to UCLA initially but he has since transferred to Hawaii.

This is Kalanis strength and I know he needs time, but we can't miss on so many guys who are having productive careers elsewhere. This is just based off of 2 gams I was watching. The list is much longer than this. Another big miss is that Gay kicker at Utah, he tried to come to BYU and was told they didn't like his timing on his kicks. WTF? BYU has not made a field goal of 50 yards in over a decade. 140 games!
      This year's recruiting class was a huge disappointment to me. There is no way we can continue to miss with kids like this and have the program in good shape. We are clearly seeing that recruiting had fallen off at the skill positions for a few years prior to Bronco leaving.

Comment

On the bright side 2021 year commit Logan Fano's 9th grade team at Maple Mountain is in the top half of the South Utah County 9th grade league. He recently got his braces off and moved from deacon to teacher in his ward.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
          That fucking pisses me off! We passed on Andy Phillips and now Matt Gay. Rhett Almond seems as weak-legged as ever.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
            That fucking pisses me off! We passed on Andy Phillips and now Matt Gay. Rhett Almond seems as weak-legged as ever.
            I actually think his leg is strong, he's just got a really bad case of the yips. Any sort of pressure, and he folds like a cheap suit.
            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
              Almond looks like a kid that won't have any problem with the HC, he may not be a good kicker but he will be eligible to dress every week.

Comment

Nm
                Nm
                Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 09-27-2017, 02:30 PM.
                "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                  On the bright side 2021 year commit Logan Fano's 9th grade team at Maple Mountain is in the top half of the South Utah County 9th grade league. He recently got his braces off and moved from deacon to teacher in his ward.
                  Nicely done.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                      Almond looks like a kid that won't have any problem with the HC, he may not be a good kicker but he will be eligible to dress every week.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

Nice breakdown junkie.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
                          Nicely done.
                          I know this kid. It might work out for BYU, but that was a real head scratcher. If I'm offering 8th graders, I'm at least going to narrow it down to sons of former NFL players or kids that are just completely dominating play. Logan, while a nice kid and coming from nice family, doesn't exactly fit the bill.

Comment

Jaren Kump decommits from BYU and commits to Utah

Wouldn't be surprised to see more.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                              Jaren Kump decommits from BYU and commits to Utah

Wouldn't be surprised to see more.
                              This is why BYU can't afford to wait for Ty to figure it out. Ty either figures it over the next couple of games or he needs to go.

Comment

And down goes the next one. Tevita Fotu decommits from BYU and commits to Utah.

Comment

Working...
                                X