2018 BYU Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BYUMizzou View Post
    I listened to Ty's Coordinator Corner show today. He said the same thing about Mangum's first drive versus his later play in the game. Detmer didn't blame it on the ankle, but he did say the same thing - that Mangum (and the whole offense) made little mistakes throughout the game that they didn't make on the first drive. Ty's point was that it only takes one person failing to execute to stall a team on offense. The theme I got from his interview is that Ty doesn't think you can blame it all on one person. There were different things throughout the game that caused our offensive breakdowns. On one play it was a hold by an OL. The next drive it was a bad read by the QB. Then it was something else the next drive.

Ty is a genuinely nice guy. He's not going to throw anyone under the bus. He got asked about his nephew, and he gave the most diplomatic answer I've ever heard. He complimented Koy on what good qualities Koy has, and then started complimenting Critchlow on his good qualities. Based on that I'm not sure Ty is going to come out and say where he thinks the problems are if it involves throwing a specific player under the bus.

Also, for a second, I thought Bronco was back in town when he talked on about how we just need to execute.
    There's another way to tell that story too: BYU comes out looking, well, decent, and then falls apart after the other side makes any kind of adjustment. That's the story of the Wisconsin game (scored a field goal on the first drive and only once thereafter), Utah State (got a 14-point lead before falling to pieces), and now Boise State. That sounds awfully consistent with what one would expect of a coaching staff that understands the game well enough to write it up on a chalkboard but not to coach a team through 60 minutes of play.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
      Yes he did, I remember that play. Also on the drive where he stepped up in the pocket and threw to Bushman for a big gain.

The problem is that we can only point to a handful of times in a game where he made a good play. The rest of the time he's locked on to Bushman, throwing dirtballs or behind the receivers, leaving the pocket for no reason, going for a 40 yard bomb on 4th and 6, etc.
      I still don't mind the 4th down play.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Yes he did, I remember that play. Also on the drive where he stepped up in the pocket and threw to Bushman for a big gain.

The problem is that we can only point to a handful of times in a game where he made a good play. The rest of the time he's locked on to Bushman, throwing dirtballs or behind the receivers, leaving the pocket for no reason, going for a 40 yard bomb on 4th and 6, etc.
        Exactly.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
          I agree with you on the 4th down and 1 in the 4th quarter. I think we were already down 3 scores, so it's not like we just needed to convert the fourth down - we needed points. The play was open - they just didn't execute it.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post

I do. We have so rarely connected on that deep pass this year, it was critical that we keep that drive alive, and we have a bruising running back that likely would've have gotten the yard. We outsmarted ourselves. It was a HORRIBLE call.

Comment

Originally posted by Crockett View Post

I do. We have so rarely connected on that deep pass this year, it was critical that we keep that drive alive, and we have a bruising running back that likely would've have gotten the yard. We outsmarted ourselves. It was a HORRIBLE call.
              it actually wasn't critical to keep that drive alive unless your goal is to simply lose by less. they were down 24-7 with 11 minutes to play. if they convert, best case scenario, they continue to plod down the field, taking 3-4 more minutes off the clock and they still lose the game. the only chance they had to win was to use that 4th and 1 to get single coverage, perhaps catch Boise off guard and hope Mangum gets lucky and throws a good pass for a quick score. that didn't happen, but if they run UT for a yard, they lose regardless.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                it actually wasn't critical to keep that drive alive unless your goal is to simply lose by less. they were down 24-7 with 11 minutes to play. if they convert, best case scenario, they continue to plod down the field, taking 3-4 more minutes off the clock and they still lose the game. the only chance they had to win was to use that 4th and 1 to get single coverage, perhaps catch Boise off guard and hope Mangum gets lucky and throws a good pass for a quick score. that didn't happen, but if they run UT for a yard, they lose regardless.
                To say the only chance they had to win, with 11 minutes left, is to go deep instead of getting the first down seems, well, not trying to be rude, but, it seems like you're nuts. If they get a yard they get four more downs. 4 more chances to go deep downfield if that's what they desire.

Comment

To say the only chance they had to win, with 11 minutes left, is to go deep instead of getting the first down seems, well, not trying to be rude, but, it seems like you're nuts. If they get a yard they get four more downs. 4 more chances to go deep downfield if that's what they desire.
                  That's just it, this is BYU - they aren't making a play deep downfield when the defense is ready for it because they suck. they would have wasted the time and lost the game anyway.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                    Let's say they convert the first down and score a TD in the next two minutes. Then we are down only 10 points with 9 minutes left in the game. That's not insurmountable.

Comment

Originally posted by Crockett View Post
                      Let's say they convert the first down and score a TD in the next two minutes. Then we are down only 10 points with 9 minutes left in the game. That's not insurmountable.
                      Lets just say that Tawny Kitaen had returned my calls in the 1980's. I could have gotten David Cloverdale's Jaguar Ornament back for him and perhaps her life turns out quite a bit better and then '71 doesn't feel so bad about changing his own oil to her mug shots.

Your scenario and mine have similar probabilities.
                      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                        QB play will make or break an offense. I really think Tanner's anxiety issues are a large factor. I think the coaches see this too, and that's why they burned Critchlow's redshirt. I think they're hoping they can work him into the offense with positive results, and replace Tanner at some point.
                        They burned the redshirt because of Tanner's health troubles and the lack of a solid backup with the potential to be starter. Tanner's not being replaced at this point unless he's too hurt to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                          They burned the redshirt because of Tanner's health troubles and the lack of a solid backup with the potential to be starter. Tanner's not being replaced at this point unless he's too hurt to play.
                          And honestly if Tanner and Beau are back next year assuming we see improvement. Critchlow is not starting next year either, so he can redshirt in 2018 if he really feels the desire.
                          *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                            And honestly if Tanner and Beau are back next year assuming we see improvement. Critchlow is not starting next year either, so he can redshirt in 2018 if he really feels the desire.
                            Excellent point. Although there are some who have watched many practices who say that Critchlow throws the best ball of any of the QBs currently on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                              I had forgotten Tanner has another year. Greyshirts and missions really do make it a long time from when we first introduced to these kids. That changes my perspective on this season and giving him reps. If he was a senior, there is little value in playing him (other than showing hardwork is rewarded by KS).

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                                Lets just say that Tawny Kitaen had returned my calls in the 1980's. I could have gotten David Cloverdale's Jaguar Ornament back for him and perhaps her life turns out quite a bit better and then '71 doesn't feel so bad about changing his own oil to her mug shots.

Your scenario and mine have similar probabilities.
                                I get it. But that's not the point. You play to win the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X