Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you plant in your garden this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Yeah, its works on dogs too so that's an added bonus.
    I like where this is going.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
      Utah Airguns is the place to go. Pair an air gun with a night vision scope and let the fun begin.
      My co-worker has already offered that to me. Other than having to lay out all night watching for them to pop their head up, it's a great idea.
      “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

For probably the first month after I planted all of the vegetables in my garden, I was afraid none of it would grow. Then there was probably another month before we harvested anything. Now we feel like we're buried in vegetables. We'll make another batch of salsa with the stuff that I picked today and we've been freezing green beans that we can eat during the cold months.

And what was I thinking planting TWO zucchini plants?

Stuff that I picked this morning:

Panorama shot of the garden area:

Comment

What kinds of peppers did you grow?
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
            And what was I thinking planting TWO zucchini plants?
            When a neighbor left a bunch of zucchini on our porch, I said, "Nice! Exploding targets!" My wife shushed me, fearing the neighbor would hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
              What kinds of peppers did you grow?
              Two kinds of bell peppers, one normal that hasn't produced a great amount of them and one that is longer and pointed that has produced fairly well.

Anaheim peppers, which are supposed to be about 1/6 the heat of a Jalapeño and can be used more like a bell pepper. They're what you're supposed to use for chili relleno. I probably won't plant those again.

And one Jalapeño plant. That one has produce just enough of them for salsa and pico de gallo.

Comment

Looks like my garden is pretty much done for the year, since we're hitting mid-20's overnight here now. I have enough Butternut Squash to last me through the winter from one plant. We made 28 pints of salsa, which is really good stuff. My wife usually complains that it's too spicy, but the Medium Hot stuff we made yesterday was very good and she ate quite a bit of it on tortilla chips. We're making "Sun Dried Tomatoes" right now with the rest of them - in the oven at 225 degrees.

I left one "monster zucchini" out there to see if it will grow any bigger. That one will be carved into a Zucchini Monster for Halloween. We picked a lot of green beans and have enjoyed eating those, and we bottled some as well. We had just enough Jalapeños for all of the Salsa that we made. I have four Anaheim Peppers that are waiting for me to make Chiles Rellenos for a meal. Still need to harvest the sunflowers.

Not everything worked as I had hoped, but overall I would call this garden a success. I hope to do better next year. And maybe by the year after that I might actually feel like I know what I'm doing.

Comment

Looks like my garden is pretty much done for the year, since we're hitting mid-20's overnight here now. I have enough Butternut Squash to last me through the winter from one plant. We made 28 pints of salsa, which is really good stuff. My wife usually complains that it's too spicy, but the Medium Hot stuff we made yesterday was very good and she ate quite a bit of it on tortilla chips. We're making "Sun Dried Tomatoes" right now with the rest of them - in the oven at 225 degrees.

I left one "monster zucchini" out there to see if it will grow any bigger. That one will be carved into a Zucchini Monster for Halloween. We picked a lot of green beans and have enjoyed eating those, and we bottled some as well. We had just enough Jalapeños for all of the Salsa that we made. I have four Anaheim Peppers that are waiting for me to make Chiles Rellenos for a meal. Still need to harvest the sunflowers.

Not everything worked as I had hoped, but overall I would call this garden a success. I hope to do better next year. And maybe by the year after that I might actually feel like I know what I'm doing.
                  I think last night was the first freeze, right? I was surprised at how cold it got yesterday compared to the day before.

I too have enough butternut squash to last me through the winter. In fact I probably have enough to last my whole life.

Got it from zero plants.
                  Last edited by Lost Student; 10-10-2019, 01:50 PM.
                  "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                  "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                  This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                  "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                  "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                    I think last night was the first freeze, right? I was surprised at how cold it got yesterday compared to the day before.
                    We've had frost for a week or two. Some of the plants don't seem to mind it and some wilt right away from it. This was the first serious cold, though.

Anybody have a good idea of what to do with green tomatoes? We seem to have a whole bunch of them.

Comment

We've had frost for a week or two. Some of the plants don't seem to mind it and some wilt right away from it. This was the first serious cold, though.

Anybody have a good idea of what to do with green tomatoes? We seem to have a whole bunch of them.
                      Here's what Trisha does with them, apparently:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...matoes-5171876

Or, if you want a different style, you could find an abusive husband and eliminate him:

fried-green-tomatoes.jpg
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

My wife and I just planted a bunch of seeds in egg cartons to get a head start on the growing season. She belongs to a local garden club and they had a bunch of extra see packets that they were giving away. The use-by date was 10/18 on all of them. Doesn't matter as long as a few of them sprout. The directions said to plant six weeks BEFORE the last frost, like we know when that will be.

Most of what we planted we want one or two plants. We put in 18 seeds of each type into five dozen-and-a-half egg cartons. These will sit in the south side of my house for the next month and a half. For the ones where we don't want many plants, we'll choose the best ones to transplant into larger containers, then the best of those will go into the garden. One packet was bell peppers of assorted colors. We'll probably have to plant a bunch of those to try to get all of the different colors, plus those plants haven't produced a lot of peppers for me in the past. I'll also probably want about four jalapeño plants. Tomatoes just one of each type.

If this works, we'll go with seeds in the future. If it fails, we know where to get good plants from.

I should be planting peas outside about now. Need a little more soil preparation before I can do that.

Comment

My wife and I just planted a bunch of seeds in egg cartons to get a head start on the growing season. She belongs to a local garden club and they had a bunch of extra see packets that they were giving away. The use-by date was 10/18 on all of them. Doesn't matter as long as a few of them sprout. The directions said to plant six weeks BEFORE the last frost, like we know when that will be.

Most of what we planted we want one or two plants. We put in 18 seeds of each type into five dozen-and-a-half egg cartons. These will sit in the south side of my house for the next month and a half. For the ones where we don't want many plants, we'll choose the best ones to transplant into larger containers, then the best of those will go into the garden. One packet was bell peppers of assorted colors. We'll probably have to plant a bunch of those to try to get all of the different colors, plus those plants haven't produced a lot of peppers for me in the past. I'll also probably want about four jalapeño plants. Tomatoes just one of each type.

If this works, we'll go with seeds in the future. If it fails, we know where to get good plants from.

I should be planting peas outside about now. Need a little more soil preparation before I can do that.
                          Just look it up online for your area.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                            Just look it up online for your area.
                            May 1st is what is usually considered last frost around here. I already knew that. I just thought it was a bit strange, is all.

Comment

I planted peas a couple of weeks ago. They're about two inches high. Put in some onions on the rest of the row that they're in.

Just planted beans (seeds) with gladiolus bulbs in between every two plants. I've had those blubs for at least a year and I don't know if they're still good or dried up. I want more flowers this year, so this is a start.

If I'm up to it I'll put in various squash, peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes later today. I'm not sure I'm cut out to be a farmer, but I'm trying.

Before all of this Covid-19 stuff, I was concerned about traveling during the time when my garden needs more attention. I was planning to drive the whole Pacific coast this month and go out to Mount Rushmore and the national parks in the area next month. Looks like I'll be around to tend the garden after all. Once everything has been growing for about three weeks they don't need much attention until it's harvest time.

Comment

I've also got beans in the ground. I also planted tomato seed, and have some sweet peppers in the little seeding containers inside the house. If they germinate and grow I'll move them outside in a week or two.

In the flowerbeds in front I planted geraniums and impatiens plants. I also put in some begonia bulbs. I put in begonia plants last year and they were great. All I could find this season were the bulbs.

I planted everything right after I replaced the drip line on the flowerbed. I turned on the water right after planting everything. Immediately after starting the water, station 1 came on, even though the sprinkler system was still shut off.

I'm accustomed to replacing a sprinkler head or two around this time each year, but had not dealt with valve issues before. After many trips to Lowes over several days, I was finally able to get Station 1 to work properly. Unfortunately, now the wiring for stations 2 and 3 is messed up so they don't come on. And once station 1 wasn't stealing all the pressure, I noticed there's a leak on the spigot fed from the sprinkler system, too.
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X