Chased by a dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chased by a dog

Most of my bicycle riding is on trails in the area rather than on the streets. Even though we have many marked bike lanes here, I would rather be completely away from traffic if I can. I meet a lot of people walking their dogs on these trails and nearly all of the dogs are well behaved.

On the dirt paths there are more likely to be some dogs that are off of their leash. I've found most of those to be friendly and I'll stop and pet the nice ones.

This morning I was out on one of the relatively flat dirt paths that starts about five miles away from my home. Met a few dogs there, some that even barked at me, but only for a few seconds. Then I passed a pair of dogs that looked like half pit bull and half something friendlier. One of them barked and started chasing me along the trail. As long as they don't get too close, I believe in letting the dogs have a little fun, but as I got to a steeper section, this dog was getting closer. I finally hopped off of the bike, prepared to use it as a weapon if necessary until the owner caught up to it. I don't think I was in danger of getting bitten by the dog, but how can you tell before it happens? The dog definitely wasn't paying attention to the owner at all.

When the guy finally caught up to the dog he gave a lame excuse of the dog being scared of bikes. Yeah, right! That's why he chased me for nearly 100 yards.

Anybody else had dog issues while out riding?

Actually, dogs are required to be on a leash, and the owner is liable if anything happens. I had a friend who, when riding road bikes, would throw her water bottle at any aggressive dog. She was a good shot, too, and quicker than I would have been, and it always got the dog to stop. But then she would always circle back and get her bottle. I didn't see any cases where the dog continued after her when she stopped to get her bottle, but it seemed like a problematic thing to do.

Comment

I have been bitten by a dog three times. All in Argentina, and never when riding a bike.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

If you see a dog coming after you the first thing to do is yell at it, this will stop 90% of them. I've had a couple of run ins with dog owners over yelling at their dogs but that's another story. Next the top end speed for most dogs is right around 20 mph, if you can hold 22 or 23 mph for about a hundred yards you should be good. The only real danger with dogs is when they see you coming and they get the angle on you. Dogs and stupid drivers are my enemy when I ride.

Comment

I get chased quite a bit while riding my bike. I take some country roads and dogs seem to always be around and unleashed. But, being on a road bike and on smooth pavement, I can just speed up and out pace them. If I'm in a bad mood I'll sometimes go just fast enough for the dog to stay close enough that it just keeps on running, although they usually run out of steam after a quarter mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
            Next the top end speed for most dogs is right around 20 mph, if you can hold 22 or 23 mph for about a hundred yards you should be good.
            I'm lucky to hit 15 on the flat - with a tail wind.

I ride a mountain bike and am not exactly a serious rider. I'm lucky to be able to ride 15 miles before my knees start bothering me. But I still ride regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
              Actually, dogs are required to be on a leash, and the owner is liable if anything happens. I had a friend who, when riding road bikes, would throw her water bottle at any aggressive dog. She was a good shot, too, and quicker than I would have been, and it always got the dog to stop. But then she would always circle back and get her bottle. I didn't see any cases where the dog continued after her when she stopped to get her bottle, but it seemed like a problematic thing to do.
              what do you mean by that comment? in what locations or terrain are they required to be on a leash?
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                If you see a dog coming after you the first thing to do is yell at it, this will stop 90% of them. I've had a couple of run ins with dog owners over yelling at their dogs but that's another story. Next the top end speed for most dogs is right around 20 mph, if you can hold 22 or 23 mph for about a hundred yards you should be good. The only real danger with dogs is when they see you coming and they get the angle on you. Dogs and stupid drivers are my enemy when I ride.
                don't Olympic sprinters reach about 27-28 mph? are you saying the average 65-75 lb dog couldn't take Bolt in a 100m sprint?
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  don't Olympic sprinters reach about 27-28 mph? are you saying the average 65-75 lb dog couldn't take Bolt in a 100m sprint?
                  i would probably watch that if it was on tv
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Do you own a handgun?

Comment

Hot dogs soaked in anti-freeze. You can thank me later.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        i would probably watch that if it was on tv if my wife isn't watching the bachelor
                        FIFY

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                        Do you own a handgun?
                        Pepper spray might be a more practical option.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                          FIFY
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                            FIFY

Pepper spray might be a more practical option.
                            Guns work better on critters and off-leash attack dogs.

I actually do pack in certain areas when on the trails. Corner Canyon being one of those.

Comment

Like RCV, most dogs I see leave you alone after you yell at them. If that doesn't work and they keep coming I usually just spray some water from my bottle on the ground next to me. Dogs are usually pretty dumb and will forget about the chase to see what you just sprayed.

Comment

Working...
                              X