Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite Hymn and why?

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    ... and not exactly a hymn but a quite moving "hymn-like" song, "Hallelujah":...
    I like various versions of the song (Pentatonix, not so much--the pain of a single male performer usually works better). I enjoy the idea of MoTab performing it, including the verses relating to sexual dysfunction.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I like various versions of the song (Pentatonix, not so much--the pain of a single male performer usually works better). I enjoy the idea of MoTab performing it, including the verses relating to sexual dysfunction.
    I would pay to see the day that happens.

Try this version.

"Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    While not technically a hymn, I love A Child's Prayer. It's a simple song with a beautiful melody and resembles many similar prayers that I've given over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Our YM and YW have been practicing this for a stake musical fireside being held this Sunday. As I sing along and listen to the words I swear I tear up every single time. Janice Kapp Perry's best work right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Our YM and YW have been practicing this for a stake musical fireside being held this Sunday. As I sing along and listen to the words I swear I tear up every single time. Janice Kapp Perry's best work right there.
    My daughter and I did a version of this when we moved into our ward. She sang the 1st first, and then I sang the 2nd verse. We then sang the 3rd verse as a duet, with the twist that we switched versus. Most people loved it. I liked it because it showed me as a parent as the one "comforting" the child. Then in the 3rd verse is was me asking the Lord if he was there.

I cried. That's what I do.

Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar

Better hope your favorite hymns stay in!

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/artic...ngbook-revised
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Better hope your favorite hymns stay in!

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/artic...ngbook-revised
    Interesting. What are the odds Byron Marchant will submit a new hymn?

"Perhaps the most meaningful hymns and songs of the Restoration have not yet been written," remarked Elder LeGrand R. Curtis Jr. of the Seventy. "We encourage our talented members to prayerfully consider what they might add to the body of music already known and loved by the Church."
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Out of the French hymn book, I really like Souviens-toi. It not only has a beautiful melody (thanks Dvorak!) but it's about the veil and a parent trying to get information about the other side from their child.

Hope this is included. My favorite.

Will Mack Wilberg have a hand in the addition on new hymns?

I've actually been thinking quite a bit lately that our hymnal could use an update.

Brightly Beams... our priesthood sings it about once a month in opening of priesthood meeting... everyone loves it and we all sing heartily. Our Bishop even gave a two minute talk once about the lower lights and the higher lights, and how the positioning of those lights helped seamen find their way home in the night.

A Child's Prayer and Love is Spoken Here... I was a primary teacher back in 1988... and I had 5 young ladies that would sing with all their heart to these songs. I too used to tear up listening to them the way they were meant to be sung.
    Last edited by clackamascoug; 06-18-2018 at 11:13 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

I hope Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing gets reinstated.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Seconded. That's my favorite. Can't imagine why such a lovely song was removed when there are so many stinkers that were kept in.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

any guesses on which ones get the boot? does "If you could hie to Kolob" make it in?
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

how great thou art is a goner!
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    any guesses on which ones get the boot? does "If you could hie to Kolob" make it in?
    Anything that Gladys doesn't like.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Seconded. That's my favorite. Can't imagine why such a lovely song was removed when there are so many stinkers that were kept in.
    I'm certain Wilberg's arrangement will make it in.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

I would wager against that happening. I see it being kept out again for the reason it was taken out in the first place.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    I would wager against that happening. I see it being kept out again for the reason it was taken out in the first place.
    What reason is that?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Because regular people can’t sing it worth crap. They removed it to save it.

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Because regular people can’t sing it worth crap. They removed it to save it.

Yep, and I hope it stays out. I love Souviens-toi but part of me also hopes it doesn’t make it to the English hymnal (I understand there will be just one hymnal so I guess this means it would be taken from the French hymnal) if only to preserve its beauty.

I’d remove How Great Thou Art since I hate the tune. Also, remove the one that is basically the word of wisdom put to song.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Yep, and I hope it stays out. I love Souviens-toi but part of me also hopes it doesn’t make it to the English hymnal (I understand there will be just one hymnal so I guess this means it would be taken from the French hymnal) if only to preserve its beauty.

I’d remove How Great Thou Art since I hate the tune. Also, remove the one that is basically the word of wisdom put to song.
    Crazy talk. There are tons of hymns that should go before that one.

Drives me nuts when a chorister is on a mission to sing all of the hymns in the book. The lesser-known hymns are lesser known for a reason. They are not good!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Drives me nuts when a chorister is on a mission to sing all of the hymns in the book. The lesser-known hymns are lesser known for a reason. They are not good!
    So true! I hope it stays. There is one well-known hymn I wouldn’t mind seeing gone. I’m not a fan of “I Believe in Christ”—just doesn’t do it for me musically.

My ward growing up had a music professor from the U as the chorister for about 20 years (seriously). He made us sing all the crap out of the hymn book. My mom thinks he's incredible for some reason. However, after 20 years, still no one knows the crap songs.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I don't have a dog in this fight anymore, but I'd suggest they keep A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief. I loved that hymn and hated that they rarely sang it in church.

They will never do it, but I'd commit to going to church for a whole month if they would get rid of Praise to the Man. I can't say enough bad things about that hymn. Hated every time they sang it in church.

I'd go to church for 2-weeks if they got rid of We Thank Thee of God for a Prophet. I was never a fan of any of the prophet-worship songs.

They should also keep in the hymnbook In Our Lovely Deseret because it captures the weirdness of Mormons so damn well. I recognize that they weirdness is my heritage as well.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    I don't have a dog in this fight anymore, but I'd suggest they keep A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief. I loved that hymn and hated that they rarely sang it in church.

They will never do it, but I'd commit to going to church for a whole month if they would get rid of Praise to the Man. I can't say enough bad things about that hymn. Hated every time they sang it in church.

I'd go to church for 2-weeks if they got rid of We Thank Thee of God for a Prophet. I was never a fan of any of the prophet-worship songs.

They should also keep in the hymnbook In Our Lovely Deseret because it captures the weirdness of Mormons so damn well. I recognize that they weirdness is my heritage as well.
    I love that one, for the same reason. It is so bad that it's good!

Seriously, you have to keep this in the Hymnbook.

That the children may live long
    And be beautiful and strong,
    Tea and coffee and tobacco they despise,
    Drink no liquor, and they eat
    But a very little meat;
    They are seeking to be great and good and wise.
    To the extent that this is the song that Moliere is advocating for removal, he is so wrong, so wrong.
    --SeattleUte

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    We had a Harp duet of this a couple of weeks ago in Sacrament meeting - absolutely beautiful!

I have no idea what will or will not make it in, but I still think "Come, Come Ye Saints" should be hymn #13 and "We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet" should be #196 (the pre 1980s hymn #s)

I love "Be Still My Soul", music by Jan Sibelius, Finland's greatest composer. It definitely needs to be kept

I think it's interesting they are dropping all patriotic music - what will we sing in July?
    Last edited by happyone; 06-18-2018 at 05:04 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

One that I'd never heard before my mission was "Oh, What Songs of the Heart". One of the branches in Okinawa sang it all the time, and I just followed along in Japanese, without really paying attention to the lyrics. My companion and I just about died laughing when we decided to sing it in English to start off "companion inventory". The 2nd verse includes the following:

As we greet with a kiss
    And with joy we caress
    All our loved ones that passed on before

For a couple of toe-the-line missionaries trying to sing that... yeah, you can incinerate that one.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    One that I'd never heard before my mission was "Oh, What Songs of the Heart". One of the branches in Okinawa sang it all the time, and I just followed along in Japanese, without really paying attention to the lyrics. My companion and I just about died laughing when we decided to sing it in English to start off "companion inventory". The 2nd verse includes the following:

As we greet with a kiss
    And with joy we caress
    All our loved ones that passed on before

For a couple of toe-the-line missionaries trying to sing that... yeah, you can incinerate that one.
    Loved that hymn and honestly never once did I read anything into those lyrics.

Default What's your favorite Hymn and why?

Loved that hymn and honestly never once did I read anything into those lyrics.
    Sure. You probably never giggled during Brightly Beams our Father’s Mercy when you get to the part about poor, struggling semen either.

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Princeps Inter Pares

I filled out their precious survey for the specific purpose of voting against that song.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν