What's your favorite Hymn and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
    Great. My sweat towel is gray though. Come say hi after the concert. I'll slow walk to the bus.
    Walk? I imagined you'd be hoisted on shoulders and carried to the bus.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
      Great. My sweat towel is gray though. Come say hi after the concert. I'll slow walk to the bus.
      What a great line... I've got to figure out how to incorporate that into my life.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        "Though in the Outward Church Below" was one of my favorites in the old hymnbook, becoming such while I served in Mozart's birthplace. So yeah, add it back. It may have been dropped because of the challenging bass line in the chorus that I enjoyed belting out.

I suspect creek is going to the Greek on Saturday, as that's much closer to his casa. I'd attend Monday's performance at the Mountain View Shoreline, but I'll be visiting Ben & Jerry in Vermont that day and won't get back in time.
        YEs, that is correct! I couldn't remember the name but that is the hymn. Still one of my favorites.

I am looking forward to seeing the tab at the Greek. The last time I was there it was to see Wilco, so this should be a bit of a changeup.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
          Walk? I imagined you'd be hoisted on shoulders and carried to the bus.
          I'm just one of the crowd.
          “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
            What a great line... I've got to figure out how to incorporate that into my life.
            I was thinking it was a great line as well. Seems kind of pimp.

Comment

• My wife's high school friend posted that he'd like to see this one included in the new hymnbook. Think it's got a chance?
              https://www.facebook.com/heehawroadh...510127987/?t=0

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                My wife's high school friend posted that he'd like to see this one included in the new hymnbook. Think it's got a chance?
                Sadly, probably has more of a chance than any of mine.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                  My wife's high school friend posted that he'd like to see this one included in the new hymnbook. Think it's got a chance?
                  The bass part is better than 95% of current hymns.

Comment

• What's your favorite Hymn and why?

Man, how did Misty Rowe not have a more pronounced career? She is resplendent. Oh and that song’s fun too (though I wonder if Misty had to have a little talk with Jesus after she posed in Playboy).
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      Man, how did Misty Rowe not have a more pronounced career? She is resplendent. Oh and that song’s fun too.
                      Hee Haw was my dad’s 2nd favorite musical show every week. Lawrence Welk was his favorite. He was a man of diverse tastes

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                        ...I should also mention that I'd like "How Great Thou Art" to remain, for selfish reasons. When my sister died in '89 at the age of 45, a soloist sang that song very movingly, including the line, "I hear the rolling thunder." The night of my sis's death, there were several thunderclaps in our area, which was esp. strange as lightning/thunder in the Bay Area is pretty rare, esp. in August. Each time I hear that song I have some pretty strong, bittersweet feelings...
                        Good story. I love the song because it resonates with me, though for different reasons. I spend much of my life in a postcard, and the song always reminds me that I won the lottery in life. I always feel very grateful when I hear it. I'll admit that I prefer hearing it sung by the southern gospel groups like Hee Haw's gospel quartet over a typical ward choir. But I also love Have a Little Talk with Jesus, I saw the Light, and Fourth Man in the Fire. I'm kind of a hick.
                        sigpic
                        "Outlined against a blue, gray
                        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                        Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                          Good story. I love the song because it resonates with me, though for different reasons. I spend much of my life in a postcard, and the song always reminds me that I won the lottery in life. I always feel very grateful when I hear it. I'll admit that I prefer hearing it sung by the southern gospel groups like Hee Haw's gospel quartet over a typical ward choir. But I also love Have a Little Talk with Jesus, I saw the Light, and Fourth Man in the Fire. I'm kind of a hick.
                          Softly and Tenderly?

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                            Softly and Tenderly?
                            I mentioned it in my first post in this thread, so I'm not sure if you didn't see it or if you're asking why I like it. If the latter, I am fond of both the melody and the message.

In some respects, I believe the standard born again philosophy reflected by the hymns is healthier spiritually than our obedience-centric culture. I think we often see our faults, lack faith in the atonement, doubt we're going to make it to the post mortal executive's club, and we are motivated to work harder at obedience out of fear. By contrast, good-hearted, born again Christians see their faults, have faith in his forgiveness, sincerely appreciate and love Him for it, and are motivated to be better by that appreciation and love. The latter leads to happier, less stressful lives and a closer relationship with God because we are constantly trying to please him out of gratitude but aren't too hard on ourselves when we screw up.
                            sigpic
                            "Outlined against a blue, gray
                            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                            Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                              I mentioned it in my first post in this thread, so I'm not sure if you didn't see it or if you're asking why I like it. If the latter, I am fond of both the melody and the message.
                              I missed or forgot that you had said that. I thought it fit in with the other songs you liked. I like it too.

Comment

• We need a more modern church...

Last edited by clackamascoug; 06-23-2018, 06:26 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Working...
                                X