Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite Hymn and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Stand your ground Clark. I agree with you. Not a fan of BIHBGM.

You like harmony? Then you probably love the best gosh dang hymn in the book (outside of the Christmas songs), which is... Truth Reflects Upon Our Senses! If TRUOS doesn't make the cut, then I'm out!
    Just looking for ways out now.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Stand your ground Clark. I agree with you. Not a fan of BIHBGM.

You like harmony? Then you probably love the best gosh dang hymn in the book (outside of the Christmas songs), which is... Truth Reflects Upon Our Senses! If TRUOS doesn't make the cut, then I'm out!
    TRUOS is the #1 favorite song of the Hong Kong LDS community. I have sung that song more than 99% of Mormons.

We sang BIHBGM at my father in law's funeral because it was one of his favorites. Of course he was tone deaf, so singing parts was the least of his musical concerns.

I could probably classify it as a favorite of mine. It's a beautiful message that teaches us how to be more Christ-like.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    TRUOS is the #1 favorite song of the Hong Kong LDS community. I have sung that song more than 99% of Mormons.
    Ha ha! I served in Taiwan... and can confidently state I am a member of your 1%.

In one little branch where I served, we sang TRUOS as the closing hymn every Sac Mtg. One week the branch pres (who was a bit of nut) selected TRUOS as both the opening and closing hymn!
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

In a little branch I served in outside of quebec city the French members there loved --LOVED-- the hymn called Dans L'Eglise Ici Bas. It had been in the hymnal back in the 70s in English, but I don't recall its name. Its music was written by Mozart, if I recall correctly. I recall one week the song was performed by the "choir" in the branch as the special musical number and then again as the closing song (This may have had something to do with the limited repertoire of the pianist). I also became very fond of the song and wish it would go in to the next worldwide edition.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Yep. I don’t like it for that and other reasons. I hope it gets the ax.

Anyone know where Copelius is? I haven’t seen him chime in on this. I hope he’s writing the next great song of the restoration.
    On a bus to San Francisco with the choir. We sang in Costa Mesa Tuesday and LA last night. I really don't have much opinion on the hymns, but it's a safe bet that Pres. Nelson's hymn that was published in the Ensign a few years back is in. I don't write music. I tried arranging a piece when i directed the ward choir and out didn't turn out well. I just hope they keep enough cowboy poetry so I can keep bugging my wife in sacrament meeting. I also hope go tell aunt rhody still makes the cut.
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Copelius View Post
    On a bus to San Francisco with the choir. We sang in Costa Mesa Tuesday and LA last night. I really don't have much opinion on the hymns, but it's a safe bet that Pres. Nelson's hymn that was published in the Ensign a few years back is in. I don't write music. I tried arranging a piece when i directed the ward choir and out didn't turn out well. I just hope they keep enough cowboy poetry so I can keep bugging my wife in sacrament meeting. I also hope go tell aunt rhody still makes the cut.
    I am planning on being at your concert! Can you wave a hanky or something to say hello to me?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

We did a great arrangement of BIHBGM in BYU Singers when I was in law school that I got to drop down to a F1. Lowest I've ever sang in performance. But I agree that the version in the current hymn book leaves something to be desired.
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    I am planning on being at your concert! Can you wave a hanky or something to say hello to me?
    Which one?

Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    The Jason Thirsk tribute version.
    of course
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Which one?
    He probably doesn't care; any old white one should do the job.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

In a little branch I served in outside of quebec city the French members there loved --LOVED-- the hymn called Dans L'Eglise Ici Bas. It had been in the hymnal back in the 70s in English, but I don't recall its name. Its music was written by Mozart, if I recall correctly. I recall one week the song was performed by the "choir" in the branch as the special musical number and then again as the closing song (This may have had something to do with the limited repertoire of the pianist). I also became very fond of the song and wish it would go in to the next worldwide edition.
    "Though in the Outward Church Below" was one of my favorites in the old hymnbook, becoming such while I served in Mozart's birthplace. So yeah, add it back. It may have been dropped because of the challenging bass line in the chorus that I enjoyed belting out.

I should also mention that I'd like "How Great Thou Art" to remain, for selfish reasons. When my sister died in '89 at the age of 45, a soloist sang that song very movingly, including the line, "I hear the rolling thunder." The night of my sis's death, there were several thunderclaps in our area, which was esp. strange as lightning/thunder in the Bay Area is pretty rare, esp. in August. Each time I hear that song I have some pretty strong, bittersweet feelings.

Which one?
    I suspect creek is going to the Greek on Saturday, as that's much closer to his casa. I'd attend Monday's performance at the Mountain View Shoreline, but I'll be visiting Ben & Jerry in Vermont that day and won't get back in time.

Which one?
    Sat at the Greek. A royal blue hanky.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Sat at the Greek. A royal blue hanky.
    Great. My sweat towel is gray though. Come say hi after the concert. I'll slow walk to the bus.

Great. My sweat towel is gray though. Come say hi after the concert. I'll slow walk to the bus.
    Walk? I imagined you'd be hoisted on shoulders and carried to the bus.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

What a great line... I've got to figure out how to incorporate that into my life.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    "Though in the Outward Church Below" was one of my favorites in the old hymnbook, becoming such while I served in Mozart's birthplace. So yeah, add it back. It may have been dropped because of the challenging bass line in the chorus that I enjoyed belting out.

I suspect creek is going to the Greek on Saturday, as that's much closer to his casa. I'd attend Monday's performance at the Mountain View Shoreline, but I'll be visiting Ben & Jerry in Vermont that day and won't get back in time.
    YEs, that is correct! I couldn't remember the name but that is the hymn. Still one of my favorites.

I am looking forward to seeing the tab at the Greek. The last time I was there it was to see Wilco, so this should be a bit of a changeup.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Walk? I imagined you'd be hoisted on shoulders and carried to the bus.
    I'm just one of the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    What a great line... I've got to figure out how to incorporate that into my life.
    I was thinking it was a great line as well. Seems kind of pimp.

My wife's high school friend posted that he'd like to see this one included in the new hymnbook. Think it's got a chance?
    https://www.facebook.com/heehawroadh...510127987/?t=0

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    My wife's high school friend posted that he'd like to see this one included in the new hymnbook. Think it's got a chance?
    Sadly, probably has more of a chance than any of mine.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    The bass part is better than 95% of current hymns.

Default What's your favorite Hymn and why?

Man, how did Misty Rowe not have a more pronounced career? She is resplendent. Oh and that song’s fun too (though I wonder if Misty had to have a little talk with Jesus after she posed in Playboy).
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Man, how did Misty Rowe not have a more pronounced career? She is resplendent. Oh and that song’s fun too.
    Hee Haw was my dad’s 2nd favorite musical show every week. Lawrence Welk was his favorite. He was a man of diverse tastes

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    ...I should also mention that I'd like "How Great Thou Art" to remain, for selfish reasons. When my sister died in '89 at the age of 45, a soloist sang that song very movingly, including the line, "I hear the rolling thunder." The night of my sis's death, there were several thunderclaps in our area, which was esp. strange as lightning/thunder in the Bay Area is pretty rare, esp. in August. Each time I hear that song I have some pretty strong, bittersweet feelings...
    Good story. I love the song because it resonates with me, though for different reasons. I spend much of my life in a postcard, and the song always reminds me that I won the lottery in life. I always feel very grateful when I hear it. I'll admit that I prefer hearing it sung by the southern gospel groups like Hee Haw's gospel quartet over a typical ward choir. But I also love Have a Little Talk with Jesus, I saw the Light, and Fourth Man in the Fire. I'm kind of a hick.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    Good story. I love the song because it resonates with me, though for different reasons. I spend much of my life in a postcard, and the song always reminds me that I won the lottery in life. I always feel very grateful when I hear it. I'll admit that I prefer hearing it sung by the southern gospel groups like Hee Haw's gospel quartet over a typical ward choir. But I also love Have a Little Talk with Jesus, I saw the Light, and Fourth Man in the Fire. I'm kind of a hick.
    Softly and Tenderly?

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    Softly and Tenderly?
    I mentioned it in my first post in this thread, so I'm not sure if you didn't see it or if you're asking why I like it. If the latter, I am fond of both the melody and the message.

In some respects, I believe the standard born again philosophy reflected by the hymns is healthier spiritually than our obedience-centric culture. I think we often see our faults, lack faith in the atonement, doubt we're going to make it to the post mortal executive's club, and we are motivated to work harder at obedience out of fear. By contrast, good-hearted, born again Christians see their faults, have faith in his forgiveness, sincerely appreciate and love Him for it, and are motivated to be better by that appreciation and love. The latter leads to happier, less stressful lives and a closer relationship with God because we are constantly trying to please him out of gratitude but aren't too hard on ourselves when we screw up.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    I mentioned it in my first post in this thread, so I'm not sure if you didn't see it or if you're asking why I like it. If the latter, I am fond of both the melody and the message.
    I missed or forgot that you had said that. I thought it fit in with the other songs you liked. I like it too.

We need a more modern church...

Last edited by clackamascoug; 06-23-2018 at 06:26 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream