No announcement yet.

What's your favorite Hymn and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Praise to the Man is one of those hymns that seems normal to lifelong Mormons — then if you bring a non-LDS person to church and they analyze those lyrics you know they have to think “Ok this is actually a violent cult that worships Joseph Smith.”

Wonder if they could figure out a way to save it but get rid of the creepiest lyrics.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
      Praise to the Man is one of those hymns that seems normal to lifelong Mormons — then if you bring a non-LDS person to church and they analyze those lyrics you know they have to think “Ok this is actually a violent cult that worships Joseph Smith.”

Wonder if they could figure out a way to save it but get rid of the creepiest lyrics.
      We sang that in sacrament once and the chorister had us stand up. The topic was Jospeh smith and the talks all focused on him. There was an entire family there investigating the church. They never came back, but to be honest, most investigators never come back. But it felt like a really weird sacrament meeting.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

The survey also asks about primary songs. In my survey I said Follow the Prophet should be taken out of the primary songbook. I hope they keep He Sent His Son. That is my favorite.

Comment

In our lovely Deseret we will smoke a cigarette.

Good times as a deacon. Trying to sing just loud enough from the front row deacon box so sister Schwantees could hear us and give us a piece of stink eye.
          Last edited by Brian; 06-19-2018, 09:25 AM.
          I intend to live forever.
          So far, so good.
          --Steven Wright

Comment

It is all creepy lyrics and that is the logical conclusion of the lyrics of the song. I'm not saying the LDS church is a violent cult that worships Joseph Smith, just that it is the logical conclusion of that song.
            Last edited by MartyFunkhouser; 06-19-2018, 08:42 AM.
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
              I hope Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing gets reinstated.
              Amen. Along with that, Amazing Grace, The Garden, and the original version of Away in a Manger. Nice additions with no chance in Hell would be The Old Rugged Cross, Softly and Tenderly, I'll Fly Away, and Rock of Ages. It's not a hymn, my favorite of all gospel songs is Why Me Lord. The folks at the nursing home sing along without missing a word every time it's played. That's saying something when you consider some of them don't even know their own family members.
              sigpic
              "Outlined against a blue, gray
              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                any guesses on which ones get the boot? does "If you could hie to Kolob" make it in?
                I don't think the Adam-God hymn will make it...

Sons of Michael, He Approaches

Boldly
                1. Sons of Michael, he approaches!
                Rise, the ancient father greet.
                Bow, ye thousands, low before him;
                Minister before his feet.
                Hail the patriarch’s glad reign,
                Spreading over sea and main.

2. Sons of Michael, ’tis his chariot
                Rolls its burning wheels along!
                Raise aloft your voices million
                In a torrent pow’r of song.
                Hail our head with music soft!
                Raise sweet melodies aloft!

3. Mother of our generations,
                Glorious by great Michael’s side,
                Take thy children’s adoration;
                Endless with thy seed abide.
                Lo! to greet thee now advance
                Thousands in the glorious dance!

4. Raise a chorus, sons of Michael,
                Like old ocean’s roaring swell,
                Till the mighty acclamation
                Thru rebounding space doth tell
                That the ancient one doth reign
                In his Father’s house again!
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Agreed. It's a creepy song. I have never liked it.

The hymn "Onward,Christian Soldiers" also needs to go. When we attended SacMtg at BYU Jerusalem some years ago, for some reason that song was selected as the opening hymn. Imagine sitting in the congregation looking out over the vista behind the chorister to see the golden Dome of the Rock and singing that song. Super awkward.
                  You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                  Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                  You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                    Agreed. It's a creepy song. I have never liked it.

The hymn "Onward,Christian Soldiers" also needs to go. When we attended SacMtg at BYU Jerusalem some years ago, for some reason that song was selected as the opening hymn. Imagine sitting in the congregation looking out over the vista behind the chorister to see the golden Dome of the Rock and singing that song. Super awkward.
                    Ha. That's funny.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

whatever the closing hymn is
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

My expectation is that any hymns that require a licensing agreement will be out. How Great Thou Art & Because I Have Been Given Much are two that will be axed, although they should be kept. They will be replaced by member-generated hymns for which the Church will be granted a "nonexclusive, perpetual license for unlimited use."

After being hacked up in the 1985 hymnal, "Up Awake Ye Defenders of Zion" will be eliminated altogether.

Comment

If those two are taken out, there will be much grumbling and dissension. HGTA is my favorite hymn.
                          sigpic
                          "Outlined against a blue, gray
                          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                            If those two are taken out, there will be much grumbling and dissension. HGTA is my favorite hymn.
                            Not a fan. I think it leads to too much over-singing.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              Not a fan. I think it leads to too much over-singing.
                              Yep. I don’t like it for that and other reasons. I hope it gets the ax.

Anyone know where Copelius is? I haven’t seen him chime in on this. I hope he’s writing the next great song of the restoration.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                                In our lovely Deseret we will smoke a cigarette.

Good times as a deacon. Trying to sing just loud enough from the front row deacon box so sister Schwantees could hear us and give us a piece of stink eye.
                                HA! We used to sing, "In our lovely Deseret you look just like Bobafet."

Comment

Working...
                                X