What's your favorite Hymn and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favorite Hymn and why?

I did a search and didn't see a topic like this started. So I figured why not.

I have a few that I like quite a bit. My favorite is Come Thou Font, but it has been removed from the Hymnal. There is something about it, especially the MoTab rendition, that just stirs my soul.

I would venture to guess that my other favorite is Abide with me; 'Tis Eventide. Whenever I'm struggling with anything, this is one of my go to hymns. Just helps me right my ship as it were.

How about you?

Looking forward to this one. I know we have some talented folks here on the board.

Tick

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
    I did a search and didn't see a topic like this started. So I figured why not.

I have a few that I like quite a bit. My favorite is Come Thou Font, but it has been removed from the Hymnal. There is something about it, especially the MoTab rendition, that just stirs my soul.

I would venture to guess that my other favorite is Abide with me; 'Tis Eventide. Whenever I'm struggling with anything, this is one of my go to hymns. Just helps me right my ship as it were.

How about you?

Looking forward to this one. I know we have some talented folks here on the board.

Tick
    I'm with you on your second pick. My siblings and I sang that in church in '96. I'm the only member left of the five of us, and it's a special memory for me.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

It is hard to pick a favorite with so many great ones out there, both in and out of the LDS Hymnal.

I like How Firm a Foundation, but not he melody that is common in the hymnal. Murray Boren, who was a professor at BYU when I was there composed a new setting for the words that is usually my go to when asked to sing somewhere that has not heard me before. It is a wonderful setting with some powerful tone painting and is in the original volume of Sabbath Song that was compiled by my voice teacher.

And Come Thou Font: ever since first singing Mack's arrangement in the Hymns of Thanksgiving production back in 94, I have loved that piece. I am glad we do it often.
      “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

I love Come Thou Font. I've told my daughter she has to play that on the violin at my funeral some day as the price for buying it for her.

I also really like Brightly Beams our Father's Mercy - particularly for a men's chorus.

I love the words to Lord, I Would Follow Thee.

Favorite Sacrament Hymn has to be In Humility, Our Savior.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
          I love Come Thou Font. I've told my daughter she has to play that on the violin at my funeral some day as the price for buying it for her.

I also really like Brightly Beams our Father's Mercy - particularly for a men's chorus.

I love the words to Lord, I Would Follow Thee.

Favorite Sacrament Hymn has to be In Humility, Our Savior.
          Too funny...that's the song that is playing on my ipad right now. MoTab version. Love it.

Comment

Lead, Kindly Light
            Come, Follow Me
            If You Could Hie to Kolob

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Be Still My Soul
              Where Can I Turn for Peace
              Come, Come Ye Saints. Classic LDS, pioneer heritage hymn.
              Abide with me Tis Eventide. Love the Walk to Emaus passage.
              How Firm a Foundation. Dig the verses it's based on in the OT.

Comment

My favorite hymn is The Lord is My Shepherd, by James Montgomery. It's based on the 23rd Psalm. This is how I think about Jesus. The longer I live and the more I experience, this seems to fit me more perfectly. No matter what I've gone through, what danger I've been in, how far I've wandered, he's always taken care of me, and I believe he always will.

The Lord is my Shepherd, no want shall I know;
                I feed in green pastures, safe folded I rest;
                He leadeth my soul where the still waters flow,
                Restores me when wand’ring, redeems when oppressed.

Through valley and shadow of death though I stray,
                Since Thou art my Guardian, no evil I fear;
                Thy rod shall defend me, Thy staff be my stay;
                No harm can befall, with my Comforter near.

In midst of affliction my table is spread;
                With blessings unmeasured my cup runneth o’er;
                With perfume and oil Thou anointest my head;
                O what shall I ask of Thy providence more?

Let goodness and mercy, my bountiful God,
                Still follow my steps till I meet Thee above;
                I seek, by the path which my forefathers trod,
                Through land of their sojourn, Thy Kingdom of love.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                  My favorite hymn is The Lord is My Shepherd, by James Montgomery. It's based on the 23rd Psalm. This is how I think about Jesus. The longer I live and the more I experience, this seems to fit me more perfectly. No matter what I've gone through, what danger I've been in, how far I've wandered, he's always taken care of me, and I believe he always will.

The Lord is my Shepherd, no want shall I know;
                  I feed in green pastures, safe folded I rest;
                  He leadeth my soul where the still waters flow,
                  Restores me when wand’ring, redeems when oppressed.

Through valley and shadow of death though I stray,
                  Since Thou art my Guardian, no evil I fear;
                  Thy rod shall defend me, Thy staff be my stay;
                  No harm can befall, with my Comforter near.

In midst of affliction my table is spread;
                  With blessings unmeasured my cup runneth o’er;
                  With perfume and oil Thou anointest my head;
                  O what shall I ask of Thy providence more?

Let goodness and mercy, my bountiful God,
                  Still follow my steps till I meet Thee above;
                  I seek, by the path which my forefathers trod,
                  Through land of their sojourn, Thy Kingdom of love.
                  That's awesome. It's why I ask folks to share the "why". I'd have never have looked at it like that.

Comment

Favorite: Hark All Ye Nations.

Sang it in the MTC choir with so much zeal I had a strong spiritual experience. It was awesome.

I like hymns that are peppy. Slow sappy ones I puke one. Someone should start a "what is your least-favorite hymn?" thread. Or just add least favorites into this discussion.

Least favorites:
                    Because I have Been Given Much (too overused)
                    I Believe in Christ (too long)
                    Anything that's played/sung under tempo

Comment

what's that schlocky song about the crucifixion they're using to guilt primary kids recently? gethsemane? hate that one
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

While not technically a hymn, I love A Child's Prayer. It's a simple song with a beautiful melody and resembles many similar prayers that I've given over the years.

Out of the French hymn book, I really like Souviens-toi. It not only has a beautiful melody (thanks Dvorak!) but it's about the veil and a parent trying to get information about the other side from their child.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                          what's that schlocky song about the crucifixion they're using to guilt primary kids recently? gethsemane? hate that one
                          You have no soul.

Jesus, Lover of my Soul is a good one, even though the title always makes me giggle.
                          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

Least favorites:
                            Because I have Been Given Much (too overused)
                            I Believe in Christ (too long)
                            Anything that's played/sung under tempo
                            Focusing on the negative, which is my wont, I agree strongly with the above, esp. the endless I Believe in Christ, which has eight verses that McConkie deviously turned into four by simply bridging pairs of verses together. When it's used as the horribly misnamed "rest hymn" between speakers, I being contemplating my exit from the Church, or at least the meeting, while singing about my faith.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                              Focusing on the negative, which is my wont, I agree strongly with the above, esp. the endless I Believe in Christ, which has eight verses that McConkie deviously turned into four by simply bridging pairs of verses together. When it's used as the horribly misnamed "rest hymn" between speakers, I being contemplating my exit from the Church, or at least the meeting, while singing about my faith.
                              I'm with you and BFM. I always find a way to get up and walk around when they sing "I Believe in Christ" because I don't want to wind up in a straight jacket.

My favorite is Lead Kindly Light.

Comment

Working...
                              X