What's your favorite Hymn and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    I hope Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing gets reinstated.
    I would wager against that happening. I see it being kept out again for the reason it was taken out in the first place.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
      I would wager against that happening. I see it being kept out again for the reason it was taken out in the first place.
      What reason is that?
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
        Seconded. That's my favorite. Can't imagine why such a lovely song was removed when there are so many stinkers that were kept in.
        Because regular people can’t sing it worth crap. They removed it to save it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
          Because regular people can’t sing it worth crap. They removed it to save it.

Yep, and I hope it stays out. I love Souviens-toi but part of me also hopes it doesn’t make it to the English hymnal (I understand there will be just one hymnal so I guess this means it would be taken from the French hymnal) if only to preserve its beauty.

I’d remove How Great Thou Art since I hate the tune. Also, remove the one that is basically the word of wisdom put to song.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            Yep, and I hope it stays out. I love Souviens-toi but part of me also hopes it doesn’t make it to the English hymnal (I understand there will be just one hymnal so I guess this means it would be taken from the French hymnal) if only to preserve its beauty.

I’d remove How Great Thou Art since I hate the tune. Also, remove the one that is basically the word of wisdom put to song.
            Crazy talk. There are tons of hymns that should go before that one.

Drives me nuts when a chorister is on a mission to sing all of the hymns in the book. The lesser-known hymns are lesser known for a reason. They are not good!
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Drives me nuts when a chorister is on a mission to sing all of the hymns in the book. The lesser-known hymns are lesser known for a reason. They are not good!
              So true! I hope it stays. There is one well-known hymn I wouldn’t mind seeing gone. I’m not a fan of “I Believe in Christ”—just doesn’t do it for me musically.

Comment

My ward growing up had a music professor from the U as the chorister for about 20 years (seriously). He made us sing all the crap out of the hymn book. My mom thinks he's incredible for some reason. However, after 20 years, still no one knows the crap songs.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I don't have a dog in this fight anymore, but I'd suggest they keep A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief. I loved that hymn and hated that they rarely sang it in church.

They will never do it, but I'd commit to going to church for a whole month if they would get rid of Praise to the Man. I can't say enough bad things about that hymn. Hated every time they sang it in church.

I'd go to church for 2-weeks if they got rid of We Thank Thee of God for a Prophet. I was never a fan of any of the prophet-worship songs.

They should also keep in the hymnbook In Our Lovely Deseret because it captures the weirdness of Mormons so damn well. I recognize that they weirdness is my heritage as well.
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                    I don't have a dog in this fight anymore, but I'd suggest they keep A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief. I loved that hymn and hated that they rarely sang it in church.

They will never do it, but I'd commit to going to church for a whole month if they would get rid of Praise to the Man. I can't say enough bad things about that hymn. Hated every time they sang it in church.

I'd go to church for 2-weeks if they got rid of We Thank Thee of God for a Prophet. I was never a fan of any of the prophet-worship songs.

They should also keep in the hymnbook In Our Lovely Deseret because it captures the weirdness of Mormons so damn well. I recognize that they weirdness is my heritage as well.
                    I love that one, for the same reason. It is so bad that it's good!

Comment

Seriously, you have to keep this in the Hymnbook.

That the children may live long
                      And be beautiful and strong,
                      Tea and coffee and tobacco they despise,
                      Drink no liquor, and they eat
                      But a very little meat;
                      They are seeking to be great and good and wise.
                      To the extent that this is the song that Moliere is advocating for removal, he is so wrong, so wrong.
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                        any guesses on which ones get the boot? does "If you could hie to Kolob" make it in?
                        We had a Harp duet of this a couple of weeks ago in Sacrament meeting - absolutely beautiful!

I have no idea what will or will not make it in, but I still think "Come, Come Ye Saints" should be hymn #13 and "We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet" should be #196 (the pre 1980s hymn #s)

I love "Be Still My Soul", music by Jan Sibelius, Finland's greatest composer. It definitely needs to be kept

I think it's interesting they are dropping all patriotic music - what will we sing in July?
                        Last edited by happyone; 06-18-2018, 05:04 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

One that I'd never heard before my mission was "Oh, What Songs of the Heart". One of the branches in Okinawa sang it all the time, and I just followed along in Japanese, without really paying attention to the lyrics. My companion and I just about died laughing when we decided to sing it in English to start off "companion inventory". The 2nd verse includes the following:

As we greet with a kiss
                          And with joy we caress
                          All our loved ones that passed on before

For a couple of toe-the-line missionaries trying to sing that... yeah, you can incinerate that one.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                            One that I'd never heard before my mission was "Oh, What Songs of the Heart". One of the branches in Okinawa sang it all the time, and I just followed along in Japanese, without really paying attention to the lyrics. My companion and I just about died laughing when we decided to sing it in English to start off "companion inventory". The 2nd verse includes the following:

As we greet with a kiss
                            And with joy we caress
                            All our loved ones that passed on before

For a couple of toe-the-line missionaries trying to sing that... yeah, you can incinerate that one.
                            Loved that hymn and honestly never once did I read anything into those lyrics.

Comment

What's your favorite Hymn and why?

Loved that hymn and honestly never once did I read anything into those lyrics.
                              Sure. You probably never giggled during Brightly Beams our Father’s Mercy when you get to the part about poor, struggling semen either.

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                I hope Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing gets reinstated.
                                I filled out their precious survey for the specific purpose of voting against that song.
                                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Working...
                                X