• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
    We need a more modern church...

Oh, you can't get to heaven in the bishop's car
    'cause the bishop's car stops at every bar

And the wheels just fell off this thread.

Comment

• Abide with Me, 'Tis Eventide

The last time my siblings and I were all at church together, we sang this hymn for my childhood ward.

They've all left the church, and I'm the last man standing. Two weeks ago, I was at the hospital with three of my sisters tending to one of them (her esophagus ruptured), and we all sang the hymn. it was awesome.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• I really hope they trim the hymn book down to abou 100 songs for sacrament meeting use. I enjoy the hymns when the congregation sings. When you sing two hymns nobody knows and one that is kinda of known it ruins the vibe of sacrament. Keep all the other hymns for special numbers or choirs, but treat the songs we actually sing as a congregation the same way you want to see a classic rock concert, just the hits! No B sides or new stuff.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
          I really hope they trim the hymn book down to abou 100 songs for sacrament meeting use. I enjoy the gyms when the congregation sings. When you sing two hymns nobody knows and one that is kinda of known it ruins the vibe of sacrament. Keep all the other hymns for special numbers or choirs, but treat the songs we actually sing as a congregation the same way you want to see a classic rock concert, just the hits! No B sides or new stuff.
          Totally agree
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I'd like Come Thou Fount of Ev'ry Blessing to makes its way back into the hymnal.
            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
              I really hope they trim the hymn book down to abou 100 songs for sacrament meeting use. I enjoy the hymns when the congregation sings. When you sing two hymns nobody knows and one that is kinda of known it ruins the vibe of sacrament. Keep all the other hymns for special numbers or choirs, but treat the songs we actually sing as a congregation the same way you want to see a classic rock concert, just the hits! No B sides or new stuff.
              No way — I like the unusual hymns. I hope they add a bunch of new ones — it’s so boring to play/sing the same ones for the past 30+ years.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                No way — I like the unusual hymns. I hope they add a bunch of new ones — it’s so boring to play/sing the same ones for the past 30+ years.
                I generally agree, but some of the lesser sung hymns are not often sung because they are not very good. I would like some new hymns that are decent or interesting, but also want to keep all the old reliables and would vote to get rid of some of the truly bad/boring ones.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• I'm not thrilled about the single hymnbook idea. As has been noted, certain hymns that don't get a lot of play here are beloved in certain countries overseas, an indicator of how musical tastes are driven considerably by culture. "The Church is the same no matter where you go around the world," is a good thing from a doctrinal perspective, but I wish we weren't trying to achieve that musically or culturally.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    I'm not thrilled about the single hymnbook idea. As has been noted, certain hymns that don't get a lot of play here are beloved in certain countries overseas, an indicator of how musical tastes are driven considerably by culture. "The Church is the same no matter where you go around the world," is a good thing from a doctrinal perspective, but I wish we weren't trying to achieve that musically or culturally.
                    It's basically correlation of the hymnbook, which isn't a good thing IMO for the reasons you state. But I'll be honest that I really don't care one way or the other. I've never been musically inclined and while I sing, I'd prefer to just listen or enjoy a good choir.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                      Most of the unusual ones are terrible. Time to go. Let's see some new hymns.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• We sang Onward Christian Soldiers this past Sunday... everyone joined and we sounded wonderful. Really set a good tone for the meeting.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                          We sang Onward Christian Soldiers this past Sunday... everyone joined and we sounded wonderful. Really set a good tone for the meeting.
                          That's a favorite at army sacrament meetings. My favorite hymn in one of these meetings was Ye Elders of Israel our last Sunday in Iraq. It had a very literal meaning that was quite poignant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                            Abide with Me, 'Tis Eventide

The last time my siblings and I were all at church together, we sang this hymn for my childhood ward.

They've all left the church, and I'm the last man standing. Two weeks ago, I was at the hospital with three of my sisters tending to one of them (her esophagus ruptured), and we all sang the hymn. it was awesome.
                            One of my favorites and one of the few I can play on the piano consistently without messing up.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• This Is the Christ has become one of my favorites thanks to the TabCATS singing this at GC this last go around. It touches my heart in a profound way.

They heard His voice, a voice so mild.
                              It pierced them through and made their souls to quake.
                              They saw Him come, a man in white,
                              The Savior, who had suffered for their sake.
                              They felt the wounds in hands and side,
                              And each could testify:

This is the Christ.
                              This is the Christ, the holy Son of God,
                              Our Savior, Lord, Redeemer of mankind.
                              This is the Christ, the Healer of our souls,
                              Who ransomed us with love divine.

I read His words, the words He prayed
                              While bearing sorrow in Gethsemane.
                              I feel His love, the price He paid.
                              How many drops of blood were spilled for me?
                              With Saints of old in joyful cry
                              I too can testify:

This is the Christ.
                              This is the Christ, the holy Son of God,
                              Our Savior, Lord, Redeemer of mankind.
                              This is the Christ, the Healer of our souls,
                              Who ransomed us with love divine.

Comment

• That’s a good one for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X