What's your favorite Hymn and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Topper View Post
    ... and not exactly a hymn but a quite moving "hymn-like" song, "Hallelujah":...
    I like various versions of the song (Pentatonix, not so much--the pain of a single male performer usually works better). I enjoy the idea of MoTab performing it, including the verses relating to sexual dysfunction.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      I like various versions of the song (Pentatonix, not so much--the pain of a single male performer usually works better). I enjoy the idea of MoTab performing it, including the verses relating to sexual dysfunction.
      I would pay to see the day that happens.

Try this version.

"Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        While not technically a hymn, I love A Child's Prayer. It's a simple song with a beautiful melody and resembles many similar prayers that I've given over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Our YM and YW have been practicing this for a stake musical fireside being held this Sunday. As I sing along and listen to the words I swear I tear up every single time. Janice Kapp Perry's best work right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
          Our YM and YW have been practicing this for a stake musical fireside being held this Sunday. As I sing along and listen to the words I swear I tear up every single time. Janice Kapp Perry's best work right there.
          My daughter and I did a version of this when we moved into our ward. She sang the 1st first, and then I sang the 2nd verse. We then sang the 3rd verse as a duet, with the twist that we switched versus. Most people loved it. I liked it because it showed me as a parent as the one "comforting" the child. Then in the 3rd verse is was me asking the Lord if he was there.

I cried. That's what I do.

Comment

Better hope your favorite hymns stay in!

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/artic...ngbook-revised
            "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
              Better hope your favorite hymns stay in!

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/artic...ngbook-revised
              Interesting. What are the odds Byron Marchant will submit a new hymn?

"Perhaps the most meaningful hymns and songs of the Restoration have not yet been written," remarked Elder LeGrand R. Curtis Jr. of the Seventy. "We encourage our talented members to prayerfully consider what they might add to the body of music already known and loved by the Church."
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Out of the French hymn book, I really like Souviens-toi. It not only has a beautiful melody (thanks Dvorak!) but it's about the veil and a parent trying to get information about the other side from their child.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Hope this is included. My favorite.

Comment

Will Mack Wilberg have a hand in the addition on new hymns?

I've actually been thinking quite a bit lately that our hymnal could use an update.

Comment

Brightly Beams... our priesthood sings it about once a month in opening of priesthood meeting... everyone loves it and we all sing heartily. Our Bishop even gave a two minute talk once about the lower lights and the higher lights, and how the positioning of those lights helped seamen find their way home in the night.

A Child's Prayer and Love is Spoken Here... I was a primary teacher back in 1988... and I had 5 young ladies that would sing with all their heart to these songs. I too used to tear up listening to them the way they were meant to be sung.
                    Last edited by clackamascoug; 06-18-2018, 11:13 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

I hope Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing gets reinstated.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                        I hope Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing gets reinstated.
                        Seconded. That's my favorite. Can't imagine why such a lovely song was removed when there are so many stinkers that were kept in.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

any guesses on which ones get the boot? does "If you could hie to Kolob" make it in?
                          Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

how great thou art is a goner!
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                              any guesses on which ones get the boot? does "If you could hie to Kolob" make it in?
                              Anything that Gladys doesn't like.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                                Seconded. That's my favorite. Can't imagine why such a lovely song was removed when there are so many stinkers that were kept in.
                                I'm certain Wilberg's arrangement will make it in.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X