The Washington Hypothesis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Sorry, I misspoke earlier. My buddy lives in South Jordan, not Sandy. Not far from the temple. Everybody in his ward is talking about it.
    Probably one of those creeps that lives in Daybreak. Bunch of weirdos, they are.

Comment

Sorry, I misspoke earlier. My buddy lives in South Jordan, not Sandy. Not far from the temple. Everybody in his ward is talking about it.
      This thread was first I heard of it. We have a few God and 'Merica types in the ward, so I'm sure it will come up.

Comment

My wife and I have donated to OUR. It seems like an outstanding organization that does amazing work from everything we have read. I hadn't heard of Timothy's books before and do not plan to read them.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
          Crazy things aren't exclusive to Utah, but crazy things almost always have their beginning there. (And Texas; Texas is it's own brand of crazy)
          I think you are confusing the People's Republic of Austin with Texas...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I saw Parshell's response before I'd ever heard about the book, but one of my early-morning seminary teachers was pretty mad at her husband when he posted this to her FB timeline.
            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
              I haven't read any of the guy's books but I have met him and talked with him a bit. He heads up this charity group called "Operation Underground Railroad" which helps set up sting operations for sex traffickers. He use to work for the DHS as a special agent and saw this stuff going on but due to the government regulations couldn't do anything about it. Finally he quite the DHS and help set up this non-profit that trains and helps foreign governments set up stings to catch sex traffickers. Seems like a reasonable guy to me.
              Yeah, same dude. I can't help but wonder if he distorts the truth about his organization also. Kind of like that Three Cups of Tea guy that made up all those stories about building schools in Nepal.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                I saw Parshell's response before I'd ever heard about the book, but one of my early-morning seminary teachers was pretty mad at her husband when he posted this to her FB timeline.
                Posted what? The Parshall article?
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                  I have never heard of this totally plausible theory. But I'm not in Utah county or high priest group, so I'm sure that I miss lots of valuable hypotheses.
                  Maybe if you went to GD you would be a high priest.
                  A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Two more articles/blog posts by Ardis Parshall debunking Washington's Vision:

http://www.keepapitchinin.org/2016/0...ge-washington/

http://www.keepapitchinin.org/2008/0...iety-magazine/

Comment

And another essay by a different LDS historian on the BCC blog.

https://bycommonconsent.com/2016/04/...he-mormon-god/

To say these “hypotheses” lack credibility would be an understatement. They frankly misinterpret sources and evidences, ignore literally centuries of scholarship, and make a mush of the historian’s craft. What’s especially egregious is that Washington and Lincoln have probably received more attention than anyone else in American history, and to think that a hobbyist found evidence that not only everyone else overlooked, but evidence that completely contradicts everything else that has been written and is available, is more than a tad jejune. As a historian, this kind of thing makes me cringe. These types of books severely hurt Deseret Book’s credibility and stagnate the development of the Mormon community’s historical consciousness.
                      1000 amens to this part:

But more important than being offended as a historian, I’m offended as a Mormon. More than just a mistaken jaunt into historical malfeasance, these books embody a certain strain of cultural parochialism that still plagues certain spheres of my faith tradition: we are unable to recognize good done outside of the Mormon faith. We’ve been so entrenched on the belief that we have a monopoly on truth and goodness, that progress is only achieved through our form of divine assistance and revelation, that the accomplishments of other individuals, whether contemporary or antecedent to the restoration, pose a profound theological problem. Sure, we talk about the “light of Christ” tinging all of humanity, but then follow that up by reaffirming that such is not enough. When we posit our faith as the pinnacle of civilization, we must find ways to maintain that civilizational chain of being. So we make these figures Mormon, both through our proxy rituals and our mental gymnastics. And more than just retaining a form of spiritual adolescence, this mindset has practical implications: it precludes our ability to look externally for assistance and inspiration.

Our community needs to learn how to appreciate historical actors without first having to baptize them.

Comment

Posted what? The Parshall article?
                        Yeah. it was sort of a "I told you so"
                        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Yeah, same dude. I can't help but wonder if he distorts the truth about his organization also. Kind of like that Three Cups of Tea guy that made up all those stories about building schools in Nepal.
                          Yeah, I was invited (by a friend) to a charity event where this guy was speaking. He gave some very interesting stories about the sting operations he has done. Given that he was featured on various MSM news reports, some which went under cover with him, I suspect he was telling the truth. Of course, one of those was featured on CNN so you never know.

The guy seems like one of those ultra conservative types. His wife didn't want him to do the undercover sex trafficking sting stuff because of the types of people he would be exposed too. But after describing the children he met with his DHS work they agreed he had to do it (i.e., "I have to do it for the children").

I never ended up donating even though he said donors are sometimes invited to go on the sting missions. I asked if they would let me carry a gun on one of the stings and when I was told no I guess I stopped listening.
                          Last edited by Uncle Ted; 07-10-2017, 09:04 AM.
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Comment

A great clip from a great movie.

Comment

my faith tradition
                                The use of that phrase usually makes me want to

Comment

Working...
                                X