Photography Post Processing--Before and Afters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Cool! I prefer this one. But I'm an art neanderthal so, you know...
    Also, I just PMed you some details about Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom...

Comment

Here's the sandpiper before and afters.

First the original RAW:

1C2A4211
      , on Flickr

First round of processing as posted in the photography thread:

1C2A4211-2
      , on Flickr

And this one given the next level of treatment, photoshop and selective NIK processing the processing here is subtle, clicking and viewing the flickr images will facilitate seeing changes:

1C2A4211-Edit
      , on Flickr

Comment

Original (not sure why not rotated. it is on flickr)
        DSC_3030 by copelius, on Flickr
        processed with PS Elements 14
        I appreciate the comments already on the ISO and shutter speed. Since these are the majority of what I shoot, it is very helpful.
        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Flaming Gorge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Copelius View Post
            Original (not sure why not rotated. it is on flickr)
            processed with PS Elements 14
            I appreciate the comments already on the ISO and shutter speed. Since these are the majority of what I shoot, it is very helpful.
            There are a couple of green spots near the white spot bottom center frame. Not sure if they are left over from processing?

Comment

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
              There are a couple of green spots near the white spot bottom center frame. Not sure if they are left over from processing?
              Took me a while but I saw them. Looking at the original and zooming in, it appears that when I adjusted the color and exposure in processing some interspersed flowers over developed. They are the same flowers as the ones to above and to the right of the white, which is the end of a log.
              “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Full on dramatification for this one.

Before:

1C2A5680
                , on Flickr

After:

1C2A5680-Edit
                , on Flickr

Comment

Full on dramatification for this one.

Before:

1C2A5680
                  , on Flickr

After:

1C2A5680-Edit
                  , on Flickr
                  HDR, or other techniques ... also, are you shooting with a filter? I quite like the dramatification. There is so much more depth to the clouds and the sky.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                    HDR, or other techniques ... also, are you shooting with a filter? I quite like the dramatification. There is so much more depth to the clouds and the sky.
                    Not HDR on this one, though others I did that morning (bracketed shots for later HDR conversion). 90% Lightroom to enhance contrast in the shadowy dark areas, boost overall contrast/brightness, and some brush work to enhance the greens and highlight some lines. Then to Photoshop to apply the smart sharpen filter (for depth) and noise reduction and also do some cleanup work.

Comment

Really digging deep into the noise for these eclipse exposures. Even with the severe banding in the noise, an interesting image emerges.

Before:

1C2A8742.jpg
                      , on Flickr

After:

1C2A8742-Edit.jpg
                      , on Flickr

Comment

Really digging deep into the noise for these eclipse exposures. Even with the severe banding in the noise, an interesting image emerges.
                        What is banding?

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                          What is banding?
                          When raising the shadows or lightening a digital shot, you get a lot of noise, you also tend to get exposed to sensor weaknesses. Banding is a pattern of color noise that gets exposed when increasing the exposure of really dark areas of the photo. Sometimes this manifests as lines or bands of slight red or green. Sensors are not equal in picking up distinct colors, but generally you don't see this is in a normally exposed image. In this case it's a bit of a red band just outside of the yellow, and a slightly green band just before it goes black. I subdued most of it in Photoshop, but it's still visible. When trying to bring back detail that was captured in the really deep shadows, you get interesting artifacts that take extra work in processing to clean up--or at least make less intrusive. The newer sensors (especially Sony's) are getting much better at capturing this data more evenly.

Comment

I don't usually do this kind of thing with wildlife, but in this case is seemed warranted.

Original

After processing

Comment

Thought about doing this for awhile. Instead of just posting in the regular thread, this one is to see what the original looks like compared to a final version. Also post processing tips, tricks, and techniques. You can click on the pictures to go to the full resolution versions.

Start it off with a morning at the Osprey nest.

OspreyBefore

OspreyAfter
                              That is exquisite.
                              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Another look at processing. Even an overcast, low visibility image can be made into something interesting. Click on an image to go to the original website and view at different resolutions.

Before (Original)

After

Comment

Working...
                                X