Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boise ID or Highland UT - Where would you rather live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boise ID or Highland UT - Where would you rather live?

Next year I'm planning to sell my California house, extract a few hundred grand from its value, and move somewhere a little less crowded and less expensive. I don't want to discuss the options within California right now, but we're also considering moving either to the Boise Idaho area or to Highland Utah.

My wife is originally from Boise and I'm originally from Utah, so we both have family in the two areas. We've looked around a bit in both areas and have determined a few areas where we think we could happily live.

In Boise, we're considering south of I-84 around the Meridian/Boise border. We know that we like those neighborhoods. Southeast Boise also looks good, northeast of the Boise River. If you know much about the area, I would appreciate hearing what you think is good or bad about living there.

As for Highland, it's the only town anywhere near Salt Lake that I happen to like. There is no place in the Salt Lake Valley where I would really want to live, nor in Davis County. I was originally considering both Highland and Alpine, but Alpine seems to be either huge mansions or smaller older homes. If I could find the right house in Alpine, I would consider it. But I've looked around Highland quite a bit and they seem to have quite a few neighborhoods that I like. Again, all opinions welcome on what would be good or bad about living there.

Bishop, CA!

Comment

Born and raised in Boise and we still like it here.

Are there any types of outdoor activities you enjoy? Southeast Boise gets you close to the river and Greenbelt for fishing, biking, walking, birdwatching, etc. Also gets you close to the foothills for hiking, mountain biking, etc. Close to Lucky Peak for boating, sailing, etc.

Southwest Boise/Southeast Meridian is a nice central location in the valley. You can get anywhere from East Boise to Eagle to Nampa relatively quickly. Not as easy to access the river or foothills as Southeast Boise. Also tends to be more affordable than Southeast Boise.

Either Boise location will get you all four seasons, and, being at a lower elevation, it tends toward milder winters than SLC.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

boise is great if truck stops are your thing. highland has you at les and the marriott center in 20 mins
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
          Next year I'm planning to sell my California house, extract a few hundred grand from its value, and move somewhere a little less crowded and less expensive. I don't want to discuss the options within California right now, but we're also considering moving either to the Boise Idaho area or to Highland Utah.

My wife is originally from Boise and I'm originally from Utah, so we both have family in the two areas. We've looked around a bit in both areas and have determined a few areas where we think we could happily live.

In Boise, we're considering south of I-84 around the Meridian/Boise border. We know that we like those neighborhoods. Southeast Boise also looks good, northeast of the Boise River. If you know much about the area, I would appreciate hearing what you think is good or bad about living there.

As for Highland, it's the only town anywhere near Salt Lake that I happen to like. There is no place in the Salt Lake Valley where I would really want to live, nor in Davis County. I was originally considering both Highland and Alpine, but Alpine seems to be either huge mansions or smaller older homes. If I could find the right house in Alpine, I would consider it. But I've looked around Highland quite a bit and they seem to have quite a few neighborhoods that I like. Again, all opinions welcome on what would be good or bad about living there.
          Option C, Rock Springs, WY!

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            Are there any types of outdoor activities you enjoy? Southeast Boise gets you close to the river and Greenbelt for fishing, biking, walking, birdwatching, etc. Also gets you close to the foothills for hiking, mountain biking, etc. Close to Lucky Peak for boating, sailing, etc.
            Easy bicycle riding is one thing that is important to me. Riding 10-15 miles. The greenbelt along the Boise River would be great for that and I like Southeast Boise because it's fairly close to the river.

Having decent motorcycle riding available is also important, both paved mountain roads and dirt roads, but I've already checked out that part. Boise beats Highland a little bit for that.

Comment

Boise: I know a decent parking spot for football games that allows for easy access to the freeway after the game. Also, Gowen Field. A story for another time.

Highland: Mrs. Diddley is from there. Too much wind for my tastes, but it does have easy access to the Murdoch Canal trail that you can ride you bike on.

Comment

Also, Southeast Boise is closer to Yellowstone, Southwest Boise is closer to Crater Lake.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Jerome
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    Jerome
                    LOL.

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      LOL.

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
                      That sticker is on one of my guitar cases.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I'd advise fasting and prayer, I think you will find HF has a plan for you.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post

This statement strikes me as odd, although I do agree with you about the Davis County part. There are many places in SL County with great neighborhoods. Highland is creepy with how LDS it is. I mean, South Jordan where I live is also very heavily LDS but it's not as creepy as Highland/Alpine. Highland/Alpine is ultra-right wing, tea party, everything closed on Sunday, nazi-Mormon heaven. Gayle Ruzicka lives in Highland; 'nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                            I do agree with you about the Davis County part.
                            , says the resident of south jordan without irony
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Yup Highland/Alpine would not be my first choice in Utah unless you like driving a long way to get anywhere you would need to go. You're not close to BYU, not close to skiing/airport/SLC amenities. Doesn't seem ideal to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X