Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did you last visit a national park?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did you last visit a national park?

I've been a big fan of visiting national parks since about 2001 when I drove to a dozen of them during a two-week road trip. Then I did another road trip in 2003 to get to more of the local parks in California and Oregon, although I still didn't get to all of the ones in California.

In 2015 I had a four-week sabbatical and was trying to figure out something big to do. My wife and I decided to see how many national parks we could get to that month and made it to 28 of the 30 national parks in the western states. We spent enough time in each of them for my wife to earn the Junior Ranger badge - except Zion, but she got two badges at Grand Canyon, one south rim and one north rim. The two southern-most national parks were just too far away for the time available. But we made it to those less than a year later.

Whenever we're driving anywhere, we check the maps for nearby national parks and go through them if we can. We have specifically done this for Yosemite, Death Valley, and Joshua Tree multiple times.

We're currently living at a location where we can visit Yosemite as a day trip. It's a very long day, but it takes less than four hours to get there. Some of the Utah national parks are less than four hours from Salt Lake City. You could do it.

It's easier now that I have the National Park Senior Pass, which is good for my lifetime. I was in Death Valley the day before my birthday when I would be officially old enough to buy one. It was less than 12 hours away and the ranger there wouldn't bend the rules even that much to let me get it early. I had to wait until the next trip that sent us through a national park. Back then, the passes were just ten bucks. The price is supposed to go up to $80 sometime soon, but you still only have to buy one once you're old enough. The one-year pass is also $80 for those of you who are younger but will be visiting multiple national parks.

There are a few national parks that don't charge a fee: Redwood, Capitol Reef, and Death Valley (they might want you to pay, but they don't check). I think North Cascades might also be on that list.

So, what is the last national park that you visited?
    What will be the next one?
    How soon?

For me it was Redwood a few weeks ago and Yosemite will be the next one I visit. We'll probably get to Kings Canyon and Sequoia before the end of the year.

GTNP. Last week.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Yellowstone and GTNP last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Despite the proximity to Lebowksi's extended family, I had a great time at Capitol Reef last year.

One thing I really like was the medallions they sold there for $1 or $2. Do they do those at all of the NPs? I know they have some for places like the Smithsonian.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          Yellowstone and GTNP last week.

Fishing wasn't any good there either.
          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

When did you last visit a national park?

Great Falls Park about a month ago.
            "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Yellowstone, summer 2016.
              Somewhere cool this summer, not sure where yet.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                Somewhere cool this summer, not sure where yet.
                How about Glacier National Park? I doubt that it gets very hot there.

Comment

I'll be just a mile outside of Sequoia tonight. If things go well, I'll hike about three miles in the park tomorrow while climbing My Langley.

Comment

Zion.
                    Last week.

Hopefully Yellowstone next summer. I'll likely hit Arches sometime between now and then when I'm in Moab for work and have some extra time.

Comment

Ranier. One week ago.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Do NPs in other countries count? I was at one of those, along with a UNESCO world heritage site in the last two weeks.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          Do NPs in other countries count? I was at one of those, along with a UNESCO world heritage site in the last two weeks.
                          Not sure if they're in the same league. I went to a national park in the Bahamas and it wouldn't even qualify to be a state park around here. But some of the ones in Costa Rica are good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                            Not sure if they're in the same league. I went to a national park in the Bahamas and it wouldn't even qualify to be a state park around here. But some of the ones in Costa Rica are good enough.
                            I felt like these counted:

Torres-del-Paine.jpg
                            shutterstock_371959666.jpg
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                              How about Glacier National Park? I doubt that it gets very hot there.
                              We will actually be a couple hours north of there this summer, visiting my wife's family. It is beautiful, but we won't be able to make the trip this year.

But now that I think of it, do Canadian national parks count? If so, we'll probably be driving through one or two.

Edit: forget about the foreign parks. Creek shouldn't be allowed to participate. Unfair!
                              Last edited by Northwestcoug; 06-29-2017, 11:17 AM.
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                              X