Barbecue Restaurant Reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbecue Restaurant Reviews

You can find some great recommendations scattered throughout several threads, but I thought it would be good to have a place for reviews.

I'm in KC tonight, and I'm hitting up Q39. Review to come.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

My house. Best BBQ I've ever had. Better than franklins, but barely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
      You can find some great recommendations scattered throughout several threads, but I thought it would be good to have a place for reviews.

What are your thoughts on San Antonio BBQ joints? I know SA isn't know for BBQ, but have you hit up any good ones? The only one I hear about that is actually quality is Two Bros, but I've never been.

We've done Rudys (which I think is just fine, but not out of this world) and coopers in New braunfels. My favorite so far (outside of Austin and Lockhart joints) has actually been Hays County BBQ in San Marcos

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
        What are your thoughts on San Antonio BBQ joints? I know SA isn't know for BBQ, but have you hit up any good ones? The only one I hear about that is actually quality is Two Bros, but I've never been.

We've done Rudys (which I think is just fine, but not out of this world) and coopers in New braunfels. My favorite so far (outside of Austin and Lockhart joints) has actually been Hays County BBQ in San Marcos
        Never had it there because I always hit up Boudros for the prime rib. Ridiculously good.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post

Q39 in Kansas City was awesome.

In opened in 2014 (5 years after the "Where to Eat in KC" thread started). The service was excellent and fast. The restaurant was packed, but their layout use of modular tables allowed them to seat our party of 8 within a few minutes of checking in.

The service was awesome, and the food came quickly.

My son and I wanted to get a good feel for the menu, so we split a 3-meat plate. The spare ribs may have been the best ribs I've ever had. They're definitely the best restaurant spare ribs I've eaten. The rub had a nice little kick, was not overly sweet, and complimented their sauce very well. The brisket also had good flavor, good smoke, and passed the pull test with flying colors. My son and I both agreed that the pulled pork got the bronze medal. It was mixed with sauce, and the smoke flavor was gone. The baked beans were well cooked with just a touch of smoke.

My wife got their signature dish "the Burnt End Burger," which as near as I could tell is a patty composed of roughly 1/2 sliced point and 12/ ground beef compressed to a patty. The server hyped it up, so I was pretty excited. It was good, but not great. the burnt ends were diluted by the ground beef. Their sauce goes well with the burger. Had the server not told us it was the best burger I'd ever eat, I may have a more positive review. It paled in comparison to the ribs.

Unfortunately, my stay at the restaurant was cut short by a gnarly migraine headache that came on fast and furious, but I'd highly recommend this joint for anyone who in in KC. In my opinion, better food than Oklahoma Joe's (or whatever it's called these days). Not a knock on Joe's, it's just that these folks are the complete package: great service, awesome barbecue, with a nice atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post

I've been mostly disappointed with the barbecue so far in San Antonio. I actually think the Rudy's franchise/chains are better than the original Rudy's in Leon Springs.

I will say that I'm a huge fan of Bill Miller's brisket tacos (just brisket and a flour tortilla), but that's the only thing I've eaten there.

In Boerne, there's a Smokin' Mo's chain. It's hit and miss, and an old local joint called Fritze's that I want to be good, but just isn't. Probably the top place in Boerne is Texas Meat Company. It's not worth the drive over, but if you're in the area and hungry, I'd suggest it. I'd avoid the pork ribs, but They have good sauce, decent flavors, and some of the locals like some of their non-traditional meals (nachos, and a few other items).

If I find a place I like, I'll definitely let you know.

Comment

May as well mention the ones I like in Northern California.

There was a great local barbecue restaurant called Big Al's in Elk Grove, in the "rural community" area that they call Sheldon, but they went out of business. Rats. When my wife and I we were even passing that one traveling somewhere else we would either stop for a meal or get takeout to bring home.

My favorite place is Back Forty Texas Barbecue in Shingle Springs, half-way between Folsom and Placerville. I stumbled onto it accidentally, but have gone back a bunch of times. Everything they serve is wonderful. The last time my wife and I went there on the way back from some national park or other, the whole meal we kept repeating "wow this is good". I didn't mind the 20 mile trip when I lived up that way, but it's harder to justify going 120 miles from my current home.

I have yet to find an exceptional barbecue place around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                May as well mention the ones I like in Northern California.

There was a great local barbecue restaurant called Big Al's in Elk Grove, in the "rural community" area that they call Sheldon, but they went out of business. Rats. When my wife and I we were even passing that one traveling somewhere else we would either stop for a meal or get takeout to bring home.

My favorite place is Back Forty Texas Barbecue in Shingle Springs, half-way between Folsom and Placerville. I stumbled onto it accidentally, but have gone back a bunch of times. Everything they serve is wonderful. The last time my wife and I went there on the way back from some national park or other, the whole meal we kept repeating "wow this is good". I didn't mind the 20 mile trip when I lived up that way, but it's harder to justify going 120 miles from my current home.

I have yet to find an exceptional barbecue place around here.
                I can't remember exactly where you are in NorCal. There is a Back Forty Barbecue restaraunt in Pleasant Hill 100 Coggins Dr). Not sure if it is the same, but I eat there when I visit work in the East Bay and enjoy it. I'm not a BBQ connoisseur, but it seemed really good to me.

The other place in the East Bay I tried was Slow Hand BBQ in Pleasant Hill (1941 Oak Park Blvd). Kind of a hole--in-the-stripmall place, but I really liked it, better than Back Forty. I need to go back there.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                  I can't remember exactly where you are in NorCal. There is a Back Forty Barbecue restaraunt in Pleasant Hill 100 Coggins Dr). Not sure if it is the same, but I eat there when I visit work in the East Bay and enjoy it. I'm not a BBQ connoisseur, but it seemed really good to me.

The other place in the East Bay I tried was Slow Hand BBQ in Pleasant Hill (1941 Oak Park Blvd). Kind of a hole--in-the-stripmall place, but I really liked it, better than Back Forty. I need to go back there.
                  Thanks for the recommendations. Pleasant Hill isn't that far from Pleasanton. I'll have to run up there and try both of these.

Comment

Any Vegas BBQ recommendations?
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      Any Vegas BBQ recommendations?
                      TIG ('Til It's Gone) BBQ or Annie's Kitchen are both solid.

Comment

Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
                        TIG ('Til It's Gone) BBQ or Annie's Kitchen are both solid.
                        Rollin' Smoke.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          Rollin' Smoke.
                          D-hole's backyard.

Comment

Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
                            D-hole's backyard.
                            Have you not seen my waistline? I can handle two BBQ places.
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                              Have you not seen my waistline? I can handle two BBQ places.
                              http://www.hark.com/clips/dpvzvjfdcm...led-eggs-again

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
                              "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Working...
                              X