Impeaching Trump: Make America Sane Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
    At this point he and his cronies have no choice but to move on to the asking other countries to help him politically is perfectly great behavior defense.
    Speaking of cronies... here is a new article for you to read: https://nypost.com/2019/09/26/wherev...ter-cashed-in/
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      Speaking of cronies... here is a new article for you to read: https://nypost.com/2019/09/26/wherev...ter-cashed-in/
      Yeah, too bad Hunter Biden can't be impeached. I guess we have to settle for those who are abusing their power while in office instead.

Comment

Yeah, too bad Hunter Biden can't be impeached. I guess we have to settle for those who are abusing their power while in office instead.
        Actually Joe Biden can still be impeached... he would lose his fat VP pension.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Actually Joe Biden can still be impeached... he would lose his fat VP pension.
          they can impeach someone who is no longer in office? Do you have a reference for that? it would be fun to read about.

Comment

they can impeach someone who is no longer in office? Do you have a reference for that? it would be fun to read about.
            Hell yeah- remember all those calls to impeach Hillary after Trump won?
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Section 4. The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.

Biden doesn't currently have an office to be removed from, so for impeachment I'm afraid Ted is going to have to wait until he wins the next election.

Comment

Section 4. The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.

Biden doesn't currently have an office to be removed from, so for impeachment I'm afraid Ted is going to have to wait until he wins the next election.
                Can't believe you fell for that.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Can't believe you fell for that.
                  I didn't. I was making fun, which is also why I jabbed with "after he wins the next election." Ok, part of it was also hoping he'd post some fun citation from an obscure dark web alt-right source that actually believes it, since he rarely throws out an idea that doesn't come from somewhere like that. I couldn't really believe Ted himself is that dumb.
                  Last edited by BlueK; 09-27-2019, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                    1000%. And it is just going to get worse.

I'm a fan of term limits for all government officials. I am also a huge fan of providing no retirement or stipend after service to the country.

I also would like to see the rules made that a politician can't enforce a policy that they themselves are excluded from.
                    I’d like to point out that corrupt conduct by someone in his first term, and who has no prior political experience whatsoever, won’t get solved by term limits.
                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                      Trump puts ketchup on well done steak. That’s f*cked up, bro.
                      #whataboutism
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Nothing I'd like better than to see someone other than Trump in the oval office. He's corrupt, dishonest, incompetent, and unqualified. He's an embarrassment to the country and honest people in public service (to the extent there are any).

With that said, I'm still not persuaded that impeachment is justified here. I've read the case for why "high crimes and misdemeanors" means something other than actual crimes, and I'm not convinced. I think impeachment should be reserved for actual crimes, and pretty serious ones at that. If mere "abuse of power" were enough, there would probably be grounds to impeach every President in history. So what crime was actually committed here?

I've seen people point to the Whistleblower Act. The Whistleblower Act imposes restrictions on government agencies to protect whistle blowers from retaliatory personnel action. Supposedly, there is also a requirement that some (if not all) whistle blower complaints be forwarded to Congress. But it isn't a crime to not comply with the Whistleblower Act. And there is no evidence, as a far as I know, that Trump himself directed anyone to hide the complaint. Moreover, this wouldn't be the first time an executive agency fails to follow a legal requirement. Is impeachment on the table every time it happens? In the end, this is pretty much a moot issue so I don't see how it, by itself, supports impeachment.

I've also seen people claim that if Trump offered a "quid pro quo" to Ukraine to investigate Trump, that would be a crime worthy of impeachment. This argument has largely been abandoned since Biden has bragged about using the "quid pro quo" tactic with Ukraine in the past. The truth is, "quid pro quo" is the life blood of foreign policy. It isn't a crime and there is nothing particularly wrong with it. It is how foreign policy works.

There are a few people pushing the "campaign contribution" angle. This is probably the best argument from a legal standpoint, but overall not that great. If benefiting from a foreign country's internal investigation of corruption is considered a "campaign contribution," then what wouldn't be? I find it hard to believe that that theory would hold up in any court with an honest judge.

The best argument for impeachment, which seems to be carrying the day for now, it that the "quo" part of the quid pro quo Trump proposed on the call (e.g., initiating a foreign investigation of a domestic political rival) is evidence of gross corruption. I completely agree with that. Trump's actions here were incredibly corrupt and would completely disqualify him from being reelected, in my eyes, if he hadn't already disqualified himself with all his prior actions. But ... is it a crime? Most Democrats have been careful not to label it as such and I have yet to see anyone make a case for why it is.

If there is a case for Trump's actions being criminal, I would love to see it. Because, in my opinion, impeachment without a crime would not be justified.
                        Last edited by UVACoug; 09-27-2019, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Section 4. The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.

Here is your altright source...

Can Congress Impeach Bill Clinton Again?

Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., has suggested that Bill Clinton, though now out of office, could be impeached for his pardon of fugitive Marc Rich (although probably not for grabbing a couple of coffee tables). Can a former president be impeached?

Apparently, yes. Obviously a former president would not be subject to removal from office, but scholars say that Article I, Section 3 of the Constitution, which says that impeachment may result in “disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States,” could apply. In practical terms, an impeachment would mean Clinton could not serve in any other federal elective or appointive office. Clinton would not have automatic protection against such a proceeding because he was exercising his constitutionally given pardon power. Scholars say abuse of such power can be grounds for congressional action. It is less clear whether a conviction could mean the removal of his pension, government-funded office, and other perks.
                          [...]
                          https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...ton-again.html

Yes, so let's impeach Biden and Hillary... They are both unfit for public office.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I didn't. I was making fun, which is also why I jabbed with "after he wins the next election." Ok, part of it was also hoping he'd post some fun citation from an obscure dark web alt-right source that actually believes it, since he rarely throws out an idea that doesn't come from somewhere like that. I couldn't really believe Ted himself is that dumb.
                            LOL.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Here is your altright source...

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...ton-again.html

Yes, so let's impeach Biden and Hillary... They are both unfit for public office.
                              #whataboutclinton!
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                                Trump puts ketchup on well done steak. That’s f*cked up, bro.
                                If it's already well done, does it really matter what he puts on it?
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X