Impeaching Trump: Make America Sane Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    We can't attack Turkey and help protect our allies in Syria because Turkey is a NATO country. So maybe NATO should get off their collective asses and do something about this.
    This is an interesting discussion, but I am not sure about your point. You are highlighting the idiocy of Trump's decision. Before he moved the troops, there was no need to even consider what to do about Turkish attacks on our allies in Syria because they were never going to attack as long as we were there.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
      This is an interesting discussion, but I am not sure about your point. You are highlighting the idiocy of Trump's decision. Before he moved the troops, there was no need to even consider what to do about Turkish attacks on our allies in Syria because they were never going to attack as long as we were there.
      Maybe NATO (i.e., not just US) troops should be there.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...onship/599890/

Here is a recent article about Turkey's role in NATO.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Maybe NATO (i.e., not just US) troops should be there.
          That's irrelevant to the issue. We were not there as a peacekeeping force, and NATO is not a good peacekeeping entity.

One can argue we should not have been in Syria. One can argue we should not have used the Kurds as proxies. But, given the reality of the facts on the ground, there does not seem to be any plausibly reasonable argument to support or explain Trump's decision, except he got rolled by erdogan in a phone call. Really, that's it.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Turkey was a roadblock during the Iraq invasion. We were supposed to come down through Turkey with the 101st, but came up with everyone else through Kuwait instead. It was a real logjam.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
              That's irrelevant to the issue. We were not there as a peacekeeping force, and NATO is not a good peacekeeping entity.

One can argue we should not have been in Syria. One can argue we should not have used the Kurds as proxies. But, given the reality of the facts on the ground, there does not seem to be any plausibly reasonable argument to support or explain Trump's decision, except he got rolled by erdogan in a phone call. Really, that's it.
              I think this has more to do with realigning with the Saudi's over Iran. Obama used Iran and Iran acceptable proxies to deal with ISIS. Trump is shifting to a Saudi centric anti Iran middle east policies.

I don't like either side on this, but I have a big problem selling out those who fought on our behalf now. The US chose to use the Syrian Kurds. They deserve better than this. Why would anyone want work with the US in the middle east? We love you today, but after the next election...
              One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
              SU

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                Turkey was a roadblock during the Iraq invasion. We were supposed to come down through Turkey with the 101st, but came up with everyone else through Kuwait instead. It was a real logjam.
                Turkey doesn't seem like much of an ally.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

We can't attack Turkey and help protect our allies in Syria because Turkey is a NATO country. So maybe NATO should get off their collective asses and do something about this.
                  Who is talking about attacking Turkey? Our mere presence there was enough to mostly stop either side from attacking the other. No way is Turkey going to attack US soldiers to get at the Kurds.

I think there may have be good reasons to pull all ground forces out of Syria, but the way it was executed is horrendous. He knew that Turkey wanted the US out so they could kill Kurds, and he knew that by leaving abruptly he was leaving the Kurds as sitting ducks with no real time for the anticipate the Turkish advance. At a minimum, the withdrawal should have been announced ahead of time to let the Kurds prepare.

This is a big deal to me. Far more impeachment worthy than the stupid Ukraine or Russia stuff, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                    Who is talking about attacking Turkey? Our mere presence there was enough to mostly stop either side from attacking the other. No way is Turkey going to attack US soldiers to get at the Kurds.

I think there may have be good reasons to pull all ground forces out of Syria, but the way it was executed is horrendous. He knew that Turkey wanted the US out so they could kill Kurds, and he knew that by leaving abruptly he was leaving the Kurds as sitting ducks with no real time for the anticipate the Turkish advance. At a minimum, the withdrawal should have been announced ahead of time to let the Kurds prepare.

This is a big deal to me. Far more impeachment worthy than the stupid Ukraine or Russia stuff, IMO.
                    Sure it's a bigger deal. But more impeachment worthy? Absolutely not. I'm speaking academically here, because I will in no way defend what Trump has done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                      Sure it's a bigger deal. But more impeachment worthy? Absolutely not. I'm speaking academically here, because I will in no way defend what Trump has done.
                      Agree on both counts.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• so funny

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• so classic

Live updates: Trump tells reporters he doesn’t know if Giuliani is still his attorney
                          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post

I’m not disagreeing with you, but it’s worth noting we don’t know the extent of the Russia situation. Mueller’s mandate was quite narrow. Trump’s people refused to cooperate with probe several instances. Mueller also talked about electronic communications being destroyed or made unavailable. Presently, Trump is hiding the details of his conversations with Putin.

But with all we know, you’re correct. Trump betrayed our most reliable ally (no, that was not Israel) in the Middle East, destroyed important intelligence source and made us all unsafer while green lighting the slaughter of women and children.

Comment

Turkey doesn't seem like much of an ally.
                              In many ways they aren’t, and it’s getting worse under Erdogan, but Turkey’s geographic location make them such a strategic member of NATO and they are also home to some of our nukes. But they are a shitty ally in practical terms.

Comment

• This is kind of historic, no? Isn't this the first time Trump has admitted that he doesn't know something?

I mean - sometimes in his rants speculating about what other people say or do, he says he doesn't know for sure what they're thinking.

But this time he is actually admitting to not knowing something.

Mark it down!

Comment

Working...
                                X