Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 332

Thread: Impeaching Trump: Make America Sane Again

  1. #301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
    Out of curiosity, at what point do you stop excusing Trump:

    Banging a hooker?
    Impregnating a hooker?
    Paying for a hooker's abortion?
    Offing a hooker?
    Dismembering a hooker?
    Dining on a dismembered hooker?

    Just curious.
    Definitely at dismembering a hooker for sure. The preferred method of disposing of a dead hooker is a vat of acid, just ask Craig James, he is an expert at killing hookers.

    I personally think offing a hooker is the line, but reasonable minds can disagree.

    I'd still prefer he isn't impeached, because the man standing in the wings is worse.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  2. #302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

    I'd still prefer he isn't impeached, because the man standing in the wings is worse.
    I know that a lot of people say this on the left, but, honestly, why? Because he doesn't like gays? Because he's a religious kook?

    We've dealt with religious kooks that don't like gays before.

  3. #303
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I know that a lot of people say this on the left, but, honestly, why? Because he doesn't like gays? Because he's a religious kook?

    We've dealt with religious kooks that don't like gays before.
    Yeah that's crazy hyperbole. You may not have one thing in common with Mike Pence, and he may sponsor homophobic, anti-women legislation, but his presidency would not resemble our current disaster in the least. He's not enacting muslim bans, national emergencies to build a wall, and he doesn't even allow Stephen Miller in the f*king building.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  4. #304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Yeah that's crazy hyperbole. You may not have one thing in common with Mike Pence, and he may sponsor homophobic, anti-women legislation, but his presidency would not resemble our current disaster in the least. He's not enacting muslim bans, national emergencies to build a wall, and he doesn't even allow Stephen Miller in the f*king building.
    Saying he is could be worse than Trump is not crazy hyperbole, it is simply looking at his record as it relates to LBGTQ rights and women's rights that makes me and others think this about him. It isn't hyperbole to say that Pence is onboard with the gays being homeless on the streets, considering he has advocated for both housing and employment discrimination based on sexual orientation. He also advocates and supports abusive therapy practices against LGBTQ people to try to "convert" them.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  5. #305
    Board eye candy beefytee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lehi
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Yeah that's crazy hyperbole. You may not have one thing in common with Mike Pence, and he may sponsor homophobic, anti-women legislation, but his presidency would not resemble our current disaster in the least. He's not enacting muslim bans, national emergencies to build a wall, and he doesn't even allow Stephen Miller in the f*king building.
    Where have you been?

    https://blogs.findlaw.com/seventh_ci...fugee-ban.html

  6. #306
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Saying he is could be worse than Trump is not crazy hyperbole, it is simply looking at his record as it relates to LBGTQ rights and women's rights that makes me and others think this about him. It isn't hyperbole to say that Pence is onboard with the gays being homeless on the streets, considering he has advocated for both housing and employment discrimination based on sexual orientation. He also advocates and supports abusive therapy practices against LGBTQ people to try to "convert" them.
    But look at the current state of the law and public opinion. None of those horrors you listed have any real chance of happening today.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  7. #307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Saying he is could be worse than Trump is not crazy hyperbole, it is simply looking at his record as it relates to LBGTQ rights and women's rights that makes me and others think this about him. It isn't hyperbole to say that Pence is onboard with the gays being homeless on the streets, considering he has advocated for both housing and employment discrimination based on sexual orientation. He also advocates and supports abusive therapy practices against LGBTQ people to try to "convert" them.
    and even if true, he'd be able to implement none of that, especially with a democrat House. He at least cares there is a Congress and he'd appoint much more competent people around himself and wouldn't give his daughter and son in law top secret security clearances despite their shady business and international ties and complete and total lack of relevant experience and brains.

  8. #308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    But look at the current state of the law and public opinion. None of those horrors you listed have any real chance of happening today.
    I don't think Trump or Pence changes those horrors from happening or not. Either one if they get another Supreme Court nomination is going to set the stage for legislative discrimination against LGBTQ people. As much as I despise Trump, I'll take him over a President that is as hostile to LGBTQ rights as Pence. Pence makes DHO and Nelson look progressive towards the LGBTQ community.

    The current state of the law is that the Supreme Court completely punted on the level of scrutiny that should be afforded discrimination based on sexual orientation in Obergefell v Hodges. The result in Obergefell is great, the opinion is terrible and may end up hurting LGBTQ rights in the long term.

    It is still completely unsettled what level of scrutiny is going to be afforded discrimination based on sexual orientation at a federal level. If Ginsburg dies while Trump or Pence is in office there is going to be seismic shift. The next case that involves discrimination based on sexual orientation could feasibly end up applying rational basis review to discrimination based on sexual orientation. You already have 4 Justices that will have zero problem putting LGBTQ issues at rational basis review or affording no protections based on sexual orientation. It is certainly not safe right now to say the current state of the law favors LGBTQ protections. The state of the law is unsettled and trending against LGBTQ rights. The dems fuck up with Hillary could end up setting our country back decades.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  9. #309
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    I don't think Trump or Pence changes those horrors from happening or not. Either one if they get another Supreme Court nomination is going to set the stage for legislative discrimination against LGBTQ people. As much as I despise Trump, I'll take him over a President that is as hostile to LGBTQ rights as Pence. Pence makes DHO and Nelson look progressive towards the LGBTQ community.

    The current state of the law is that the Supreme Court completely punted on the level of scrutiny that should be afforded discrimination based on sexual orientation in Obergefell v Hodges. The result in Obergefell is great, the opinion is terrible and may end up hurting LGBTQ rights in the long term.

    It is still completely unsettled what level of scrutiny is going to be afforded discrimination based on sexual orientation at a federal level. If Ginsburg dies while Trump or Pence is in office there is going to be seismic shift. The next case that involves discrimination based on sexual orientation could feasibly end up applying rational basis review to discrimination based on sexual orientation. You already have 4 Justices that will have zero problem putting LGBTQ issues at rational basis review or affording no protections based on sexual orientation. It is certainly not safe right now to say the current state of the law favors LGBTQ protections. The state of the law is unsettled and trending against LGBTQ rights. The dems fuck up with Hillary could end up setting our country back decades.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  10. #310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Fuck you.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  11. #311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    I don't think Trump or Pence changes those horrors from happening or not. Either one if they get another Supreme Court nomination is going to set the stage for legislative discrimination against LGBTQ people. As much as I despise Trump, I'll take him over a President that is as hostile to LGBTQ rights as Pence. Pence makes DHO and Nelson look progressive towards the LGBTQ community.

    The current state of the law is that the Supreme Court completely punted on the level of scrutiny that should be afforded discrimination based on sexual orientation in Obergefell v Hodges. The result in Obergefell is great, the opinion is terrible and may end up hurting LGBTQ rights in the long term.

    It is still completely unsettled what level of scrutiny is going to be afforded discrimination based on sexual orientation at a federal level. If Ginsburg dies while Trump or Pence is in office there is going to be seismic shift. The next case that involves discrimination based on sexual orientation could feasibly end up applying rational basis review to discrimination based on sexual orientation. You already have 4 Justices that will have zero problem putting LGBTQ issues at rational basis review or affording no protections based on sexual orientation. It is certainly not safe right now to say the current state of the law favors LGBTQ protections. The state of the law is unsettled and trending against LGBTQ rights. The dems fuck up with Hillary could end up setting our country back decades.
    Yeah, but that's the point I'm making: Trump OR Pence are nominating the same people to SCOTUS. Basically, whoever the Federalist Society allows them to.

    But, Trump is so much worse than Pence in any number of areas (filling the swamp, declaring national emergencies, dismembering hookers, etc). I don't love Pence, but I would love him a whole lot more than Trump.

  12. #312
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    48,376

    Default

    Pence worse than Trump? That's funny.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  13. #313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Pence worse than Trump? That's funny.
    I hear it a lot (from libtards, mostly). I think it is stupid.

  14. #314
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Saying he is could be worse than Trump is not crazy hyperbole, it is simply looking at his record as it relates to LBGTQ rights and women's rights that makes me and others think this about him. It isn't hyperbole to say that Pence is onboard with the gays being homeless on the streets, considering he has advocated for both housing and employment discrimination based on sexual orientation. He also advocates and supports abusive therapy practices against LGBTQ people to try to "convert" them.
    This is a masterful post as it insists the stated position is not hyperbolic by giving hyperbolic examples.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  15. #315
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,727

    Default

    Funk is demonstrating what I think is the actual long term negative effect of the trump tenure as president. Trump engenders such disgust that people can no longer distinguish between reasoned disagreements and disgusting people. There can be no question that Pence will say and seek to do many things that will upset the left. But he is not a disgusting and vile person. Before Trump, Biden could say Pence is a decent guy and no one would bat an eye. But now everyone is so worked up over everything, so immersed in chaos as the new normal, that they are unable to make that distinction; anyone who disagrees should be shamed, shouted at, ridiculed and treated like, well, like Trump. The long slide of american public discourse from dignity to indecency is seemingly complete.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  16. #316
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    28,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    is seemingly complete.
    I read your post in Emperor Palpatine's voice.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  17. #317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Funk is demonstrating what I think is the actual long term negative effect of the trump tenure as president. Trump engenders such disgust that people can no longer distinguish between reasoned disagreements and disgusting people. There can be no question that Pence will say and seek to do many things that will upset the left. But he is not a disgusting and vile person. Before Trump, Biden could say Pence is a decent guy and no one would bat an eye. But now everyone is so worked up over everything, so immersed in chaos as the new normal, that they are unable to make that distinction; anyone who disagrees should be shamed, shouted at, ridiculed and treated like, well, like Trump. The long slide of american public discourse from dignity to indecency is seemingly complete.
    good post. I agree Pence is a decent guy. I would disagree with him on several political issues, but I think he would at least be a passably competent president at worst.

    But Trump is an evil, disgusting person who is absurdly incompetent for his office on top of that. Forcibly separate young children from parents at the border for the "horrible" act of trying to enter the US in search of a better life? Reverse your previous statement and absolve the dictator of N. Korea of culpability for the horrible torture that led to a young American college student's life just because at the present it seems more politically convenient for you to stay in Kim's good graces because you need a personal foreign policy success? Sorry, that's evil.
    Last edited by BlueK; 03-01-2019 at 12:57 PM.

  18. #318
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    48,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I read your post in Emperor Palpatine's voice.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  19. #319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    good post. I agree Pence is a decent guy. I would disagree with him on several political issues, but I think he would at least be a passably competent president at worst.

    But Trump is an evil, disgusting person who is absurdly incompetent for his office on top of that. Forcibly separate young children from parents at the border for the "horrible" act of trying to enter the US in search of a better life? Reverse your previous statement and absolve the dictator of N. Korea of culpability for the horrible torture that led to a young American college student's life just because at the present it seems more politically convenient for you to stay in Kim's good graces because you need a personal foreign policy success? Sorry, that's evil.
    I agree Trump is an evil person. He is a horrible president. With the things that Pence has supported, I think he is also an evil person. Conversion therapy, the HIV epidemic in Indiana that he was slow to act on, the Syrian ban in Indiana, signing laws and supporting employment discrimination against homosexuals, etc. If Pence just was saying homosexual it is a sin and opposing gay marriage, I wouldn't call him an evil person. I'd disagree with him of course. Pence's record on LGBTQ issues is inconsistent with him being a decent guy.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  20. #320
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I read your post in Emperor Palpatine's voice.
    Crap. That means my posts are as bad as a Lucas script.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  21. #321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    I agree Trump is an evil person. He is a horrible president. With the things that Pence has supported, I think he is also an evil person. Conversion therapy, the HIV epidemic in Indiana that he was slow to act on, the Syrian ban in Indiana, signing laws and supporting employment discrimination against homosexuals, etc. If Pence just was saying homosexual it is a sin and opposing gay marriage, I wouldn't call him an evil person. I'd disagree with him of course. Pence's record on LGBTQ issues is inconsistent with him being a decent guy.
    Pence is less likely to sell out our allies and take instruction from Moscow.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

  22. #322
    Adventurer Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West of House
    Posts
    3,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    OK, what is the over/under on when this happens? I say 12 months into his term. Max.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

    I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

    Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

    You furnish the pictures, and Iíll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

  23. #323
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    48,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Strategy. She probably realizes that Trump is destroying the Republican party so may as well let him hang around and do his damage. Not give him martyr status.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  24. #324
    Adventurer Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West of House
    Posts
    3,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Strategy. She probably realizes that Trump is destroying the Republican party so may as well let him hang around and do his damage. Not give him martyr status.
    An impeachment hearing would require proof of collusion (e.g. treason), which Pelosi wouldn't ignore if she had it. Absent proof, innuendo will continue to keep the Resistance fires burning.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

    I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

    Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

    You furnish the pictures, and Iíll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

  25. #325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    An impeachment hearing would require proof of collusion (e.g. treason).
    no it wouldn’t
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  26. #326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    An impeachment hearing would require proof of collusion (e.g. treason), which Pelosi wouldn't ignore if she had it. Absent proof, innuendo will continue to keep the Resistance fires burning.
    So collusion is the only thing that can impeach Trump? I agree that evidence of collusion would be enough to impeach, but my guess is that there are other impeachment possibilities. Is Pelosi is basing her opinion on Trumps potential impeachment on lack of collusion evidence? Possible I guess, but I don't find that argument overly persuasive. Politicians in general don't love impeachment (at least the self aware ones don't)..."there but for the grace of god go I"
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  27. #327
    Board eye candy beefytee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lehi
    Posts
    4,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Strategy. She probably realizes that Trump is destroying the Republican party so may as well let him hang around and do his damage. Not give him martyr status.
    She pretty much states that right before she's asked about impeachment.

    Do you feel that he has done anything that has been good for America?

    He’s been a great organizer for Democrats, a great fundraiser for Democrats and a great mobilizer at the grass-roots level for Democrats. [Laughs.] And I think that’s good for America.

  28. #328
    Adventurer Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West of House
    Posts
    3,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    So collusion is the only thing that can impeach Trump?
    I guess they could impeach him for lying to Congress about having sex with an intern, but pretty sure that's not the red meat that Maddow, frank, BlueK, et al are looking for.

    Look, I think we need to entertain the very real possibility that Pelosi is working for Putin now.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

    I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

    Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

    You furnish the pictures, and Iíll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

  29. #329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    I guess they could impeach him for lying to Congress about having sex with an intern, but pretty sure that's not the red meat that Maddow, frank, BlueK, et al are looking for.

    Look, I think we need to entertain the very real possibility that Pelosi is working for Putin now.

    I think Pelosi's strategy makes a lot of sense.

    And it doesn't change the fact that Trump is garbage.
    Last edited by BlueK; 03-11-2019 at 08:44 PM.

  30. #330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    I guess they could impeach him for lying to Congress about having sex with an intern, but pretty sure that's not the red meat that Maddow, frank, BlueK, et al are looking for.
    keep going bud
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •