No announcement yet.

Impeaching Trump: Make America Sane Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And now there is a report that we are deploying 2000 troops to Saudia Arabia to assist in their defense against Iran.

So much for avoiding foreign entanglements and ending the endless wars. Well, we will end them if you want to kill Kurds, apparently, but not if you have actually killed journalists, bred the sort of fanaticism that led to 9-11 and sell us oil while buying our bullets. Then we will entangle ourselves at great length.

I am not naive and I realize that consistent moral standards are almost, if not actually, impossible in foreign affairs. National security should come first. It might be that assisting S.A is a good idea long run, but it looks so bad to do this days after stepping aside like a matador so turkey the raging bull can gore the Kurds.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• I recently watch the frontline episode on the crown prince (including his involvement with Jamal Khashoggi):

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/f...-saudi-arabia/

This isn't business as usual in Saudi Arabia. Things have changed in the last 5 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
        I recently watch the frontline episode on the crown prince (including his involvement with Jamal Khashoggi):

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/f...-saudi-arabia/

This isn't business as usual in Saudi Arabia. Things have changed in the last 5 years.
        For better or worse? Don't have time to watch that right now. But curious as to your overall feeling.

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
          Law classmates tell Trump lawyer Cipollone he distorts Constitution by blocking impeachment witnesses

This stench is going to be with this guy forever.

But he did go to University of Chicago Law . . . .
          Yeah, so did the guy from TMZ.
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
            For better or worse? Don't have time to watch that right now. But curious as to your overall feeling.
            Here are the general points from the show.

The power is getting consolidated with the crown prince. The clerics and religion are becoming less important and nationalism and his rule are becoming more important.

He is making life better for younger people with some reforms e.g. females can drive, opening movie theaters and bringing in Western culture.

He is more brazen in establishing Saudi power in the area. He is the one that initiated the attacks on Yemen and tried to cut off Qatar.

Finally he is going after critics and ruling with an iron fist in ways no leader have before him. Jamal Khashoggi is the well known example, but he also rounded up a lot of the Saudi oligarchy (not sure if that is how they are referred to) and set up torture chambers in a Ritz Carlton hotel for them. They were held there under house arrest all under the guise of ending corruption.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
              Here are the general points from the show.

The power is getting consolidated with the crown prince. The clerics and religion are becoming less important and nationalism and his rule are becoming more important.

He is making life better for younger people with some reforms e.g. females can drive, opening movie theaters and bringing in Western culture.

He is more brazen in establishing Saudi power in the area. He is the one that initiated the attacks on Yemen and tried to cut off Qatar.

Finally he is going after critics and ruling with an iron fist in ways no leader have before him. Jamal Khashoggi is the well known example, but he also rounded up a lot of the Saudi oligarchy (not sure if that is how they are referred to) and set up torture chambers in a Ritz Carlton hotel for them. They were held there under house arrest all under the guise of ending corruption.
              Thanks, he seems to be going in opposite directions. Some good, some really bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Really dumb take, Uncle Ted. Your boy Trump has done some stupid things, but this one might be his most indefensible act. Immediately led to deaths of our allies. And of our reputation.
                I am confused... Why are we part of NATO and a NATO country is attacking our allies? I thought NATO was our ally. Maybe we shouldn't be part of NATO?
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  And now there is a report that we are deploying 2000 troops to Saudia Arabia to assist in their defense against Iran.

So much for avoiding foreign entanglements and ending the endless wars. Well, we will end them if you want to kill Kurds, apparently, but not if you have actually killed journalists, bred the sort of fanaticism that led to 9-11 and sell us oil while buying our bullets. Then we will entangle ourselves at great length.

I am not naive and I realize that consistent moral standards are almost, if not actually, impossible in foreign affairs. National security should come first. It might be that assisting S.A is a good idea long run, but it looks so bad to do this days after stepping aside like a matador so turkey the raging bull can gore the Kurds.

Ah, that is the wrong direction for getting out of the middle east.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Another gallant effort to persuade Ted is trying to defend the indefensible. But alas, I'm afraid it will be all for naught. He's got Pobosiec, American Greatness, and a whole army of far right links to throw at any argument you try to pin him down to.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                      Another gallant effort to persuade Ted is trying to defend the indefensible. But alas, I'm afraid it will be all for naught. He's got Pobosiec, American Greatness, and a whole army of far right links to throw at any argument you try to pin him down to.
                      I am just trying to figure out who are allies are... The Kurds or NATO/Turkey? If both then why is Turkey attacking our allies?
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                        I am just trying to figure out who are allies are... The Kurds or NATO/Turkey? If both then why is Turkey attacking our allies?
                        It would seem that Turkey is not acting like our ally. That's an easy call.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

It would seem that Turkey is not acting like our ally. That's an easy call.
                          OK, then we should kick them out of NATO or get out of NATO, right?
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

OK, then we should kick them out of NATO or get out of NATO, right?
                            Is there ever a time when our allies do things that are against our wishes? Or vice versa? Do we scrap treaties and alliances when other countries don't do what we want, a la Trump? Or is diplomacy more nuanced than we all wish it were?

If Turkey continues it's path, then certainly it's NATO membership can be called into question. I don't think we should ever leave NATO though. Unless they don't pay their fair share amirite?
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

Is there ever a time when our allies do things that are against our wishes? Or vice versa? Do we scrap treaties and alliances when other countries don't do what we want, a la Trump? Or is diplomacy more nuanced than we all wish it were?

If Turkey continues it's path, then certainly it's NATO membership can be called into question. I don't think we should ever leave NATO though. Unless they don't pay their fair share amirite?
                              We can't attack Turkey and help protect our allies in Syria because Turkey is a NATO country. So maybe NATO should get off their collective asses and do something about this.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I am confused... Why are we part of NATO and a NATO country is attacking our allies? I thought NATO was our ally. Maybe we shouldn't be part of NATO?
                                Turkey's presence in NATO is problematic, particularly since Erdogan took power as a dictator and began to cozy to the Russians (recently even buying Russian air defense missiloes while they have a USAF base in their country!). Turkey was invited to NATO largely at our urging in the 1950s and was part of a containment approach against the USSR. We also wanted to maintain bases theere, as they allowed east access to the middle east. You may recall how important and useful the Incirlik base was in the Gulf war. More recently, however, it is becoming more difficult to justify Turkey's membership in NATO. Severing that alliance, however, will almost certainly require the US to completely realign and reallocate forces in the middle east.

This is another reason Trump's decision to move the troops in northern Syria was a bad idea; we have limited leverage with Turkey in this area now. ANything we try to do (as opposed to say) will be met with a very serious and problematic response from the Turks. But it may be time to cut that cord.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X