Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BYU's baseball now ranked 22 after a rocky start to the season

Finally back in the NCAA tournament after 16 years. Coming back to win the conference tournament after the opening loss was exactly what this program needed. Hopefully they will do some damage in the regional.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Finally back in the NCAA tournament after 16 years. Coming back to win the conference tournament after the opening loss was exactly what this program needed. Hopefully they will do some damage in the regional.
    The regional and super regional are filled with good, but not great teams. BYU should not be in awe of any of them, though one should not expect BYU to win. In any event, I don't see any team BYU can't beat, especially if the bats stay alive.

Who will pitch for BYU and what do we know about the starting pitcher for the Titans?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    The regional and super regional are filled with good, but not great teams. BYU should not be in awe of any of them, though one should not expect BYU to win. In any event, I don't see any team BYU can't beat, especially if the bats stay alive.

Who will pitch for BYU and what do we know about the starting pitcher for the Titans?
    I am sure BYU will start Corless first. Buffo had been the #1 but late in the season and in the tournament, Corless over took him.
    *Banned*

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    I am sure BYU will start Corless first. Buffo had been the #1 but late in the season and in the tournament, Corless over took him.
    Btw, Pac or Creekster, are any of you going to the Regional at Stanford?

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Corless was good in the conference tournament. The offense just deserted him in that first game.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Corless was good in the conference tournament. The offense just deserted him in that first game.
    What do you know about the Titans? I know they didn't win the WAC as Long Beach State did, but they have experience and first rate coach. Do you know if they are an all around team, or based on pitching and defense, or offense?

So when is the first game?
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    So when is the first game?
    I had a nightmare out bats didn't show up and we got clobbered.
    Last edited by Omaha 680; 06-01-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I had a nightmare out bats didn't show up and we got clobbered.
    I know. I'm was being sarcastic. I watched until the bitter end though. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    I know. I'm was being sarcastic. I watched until the bitter end though. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.
    I watched what I could at work. Every time I glanced over was another CSF hit.

Pre-Historic Man

That was better today but tomorrow is most likely the end.

That was better today but tomorrow is most likely the end.

Pre-Historic Man

It has been a successful season, and I would be delighted for it to be extended, but that drubbing at the hands of the Titans makes me believe BYU has another gap to become a Super Regional type team. Prove me wrong Cougs.

It has been a successful season, and I would be delighted for it to be extended, but that drubbing at the hands of the Titans makes me believe BYU has another gap to become a Super Regional type team. Prove me wrong Cougs.
    Great point. BYU has never been drubbed by a team and then turned around and beaten (even drubbed) that same team. Never could that happen. One game always tells the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Great point. BYU has never been drubbed by a team and then turned around and beaten (even drubbed) that same team. Never could that happen. One game always tells the whole story.
    Exactly! BYU has now won 5 elimination games in a row. Why not 3 more?

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Of course, it can happen. But in the WCC Tourney, BYU lost a close one to LMU, and then defeated St. Mary's but still held on to defeat LMU.

You are referring to the GU drubbing that drubbed BYU the week before.

I wouldn't bet on it, but there is a billion to one chance.

Of course, it can happen. But in the WCC Tourney, BYU lost a close one to LMU, and then defeated St. Mary's but still held on to defeat LMU.

You are referring to the GU drubbing that drubbed BYU the week before.

I wouldn't bet on it, but there is a billion to one chance.
    They pounded Gonzaga twice in one day (both elimination games). But who's counting?

Pre-Historic Man

They pounded Gonzaga twice in one day (both elimination games). But who's counting?
    My bad, it is very probable. Bet on it.

Pre-Historic Man

BYU against Stanford. Fullerton is a good team.

It's a tight, scoreless game through 4+ innings. Buffo has done well and has gotten out of a couple of jams, but his pitch count is getting up there. The bats are cold, so hopefully that changes.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Shaver!

Buffo falling apart.

Pre-Historic Man

Buffo throws it away.

Nice season, but too bad it had to end this way.

Buffo throws it away.

LOL

Buffo throws it away.

He threw around 120 pitches and had a pretty nice game. We live and die by our bats this season, and BYU just isn't hitting Stanford's pitcher today.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    He threw around 120 pitches and had a pretty nice game. We live and die by our bats this season, and BYU just isn't hitting Stanford's pitcher today.
    We need better pitching is the bottom line, if BYU wants to compete with the big boys. BYU also doesn't do the little things well such as fielding fly balls and pop flies.

We need better pitching is the bottom line, if BYU wants to compete with the big boys. BYU also doesn't do the little things well such as fielding fly balls and pop flies.
    BYU is never going to get elite pitchers like the big boys. It's much easier to find bats than arms.

Hayden Rogers went 9-2 with a 3.63 era
    Brady Corless 6-2 with a 4.8 era

Those are both very respectable considering where BYU plays, starting your first 10 games on the road of every season, and the conference they play is very offense heavy.

Last year they had Rucker who was 11-1 with 2.73, Rogers 6-2 with 3.40 and Buffo 6-2 with 3.62 before hurting his elbow. A team era of 4.09 (compared to 4.76 this season) Yet they had a better year this year.
    *Banned*

BYU is never going to get elite pitchers like the big boys. It's much easier to find bats than arms.

Hayden Rogers went 9-2 with a 3.63 era
    Brady Corless 6-2 with a 4.8 era

Those are both very respectable considering where BYU plays, starting your first 10 games on the road of every season, and the conference they play is very offense heavy.

Last year they had Rucker who was 11-1 with 2.73, Rogers 6-2 with 3.40 and Buffo 6-2 with 3.62 before hurting his elbow. A team era of 4.09 (compared to 4.76 this season) Yet they had a better year this year.
    They have some arms committed. We'll see if they make it to BYU after the draft.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Buffo throws it away.

Mav was pitching like a Greg Maddux in his prime for 5 innings. Great location, throwing the nasty slow curve for strikes over and over. Dude got himself out of runner in scoring position with no outs 3 times I think.

Great run and a great season. Things are looking up for BYU baseball.

The thing you see in college baseball that cracks me up because it has thankfully disappeared from MLB is the early inning sacrifice bunt by a good hitter.

Somebody needs to let these college coaches know that people have done the math and you should let hitters swing away rather than give the other team a free out.