Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: President Monson passed away (FAKE!)

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    That is a terrifying thought.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Not for you.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    The world will have changed so much by then that I think it is nearly impossible to project how he would be in that position. Plus, I think the weight of the position tends to change people. I've had a similar thought about Oaks...he's 80 and very likely to be in the big chair at some point...but I don't see the sense in horibilizing what might be (which, I'm not saying you are doing - but some do).
    Bednar has a mellowed quite a bit.

Either way, not sure why this would terrify our beer-guzzling funk.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    The world will have changed so much by then that I think it is nearly impossible to project how he would be in that position. Plus, I think the weight of the position tends to change people. I've had a similar thought about Oaks...he's 80 and very likely to be in the big chair at some point...but I don't see the sense in horibilizing what might be (which, I'm not saying you are doing - but some do).
    Not only that, but Bednar is a pretty mixed bag. His tender mercies talk is still one of my all-time favorites. I was in Rexburg with him, and I didn't like a lot of the stuff he did up there, but in my only personal interaction, he and Sis. Bednar were very nice. I do wish he'd cut his hair a little less often, however.

Oaks is 84, and although 8 years Nelson's junior, it would not surprise me if Elder Nelson were president for a few years, which would cut into Oaks' time.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Not for you.
    It is for him. As a SJW, Funk feels and experiences the pain of any and all that are impacted by Mormon bigotry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Bednar has a mellowed quite a bit.

Either way, not sure why this would terrify our beer-guzzling funk.
    Here is a concept that you may not be aware of: empathy.

I do have people that I'm close to that are part of the LGBTQ community. I have seen the way that bigotry from the LDS church has affected these people. I realize that you want to ignore it. I realize that you want to use the change happens slowly line to de-legitimize the damage that is being caused now. However, I'm not willing to take that approach.

Why is it terrifying, because even the slow change would come to a halt with Bednar as President.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    It is for him. As a SJW, Funk feels and experiences the pain of any and all that are impacted by Mormon bigotry.

Empathy is actually not a bad thing. It is bad when it is taken to an extreme, but there is value in empathy.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

However, I'm not willing to take that approach.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Would be funny if TSM outlives DS so he never lives to see that day.

Unlike most of people on here, I actually like Moliere. I found his comment funny. Although, I did also up my life insurance policy, just in case.

In all of my Twittering trying to vindicate my fake news, I came across a post about some guy in a chastising rant directed at whomever started the rumor for making him look foolish for openly sobbing on the bus. The comment made me laugh. I mean, from what I saw on conference, one really should be a bit more prepared for such news.

Although, I hope people sob for me on the bus when my fake news death gets leaked.

From what I've been able to gather, this stupid rumor started on ex-mo Reddit. Which makes me feel three times dumber for falling victim. I offer my deepest apologies.

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Here is a concept that you may not be aware of: empathy.

I do have people that I'm close to that are part of the LGBTQ community. I have seen the way that bigotry from the LDS church has affected these people. I realize that you want to ignore it. I realize that you want to use the change happens slowly line to de-legitimize the damage that is being caused now. However, I'm not willing to take that approach.

Why is it terrifying, because even the slow change would come to a halt with Bednar as President.

Empathy is actually not a bad thing. It is bad when it is taken to an extreme, but there is value in empathy.
    Haha. Funk yet again a perfect example of our new national pastime.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Unlike most of people on here, I actually like Moliere. I found his comment funny. Although, I did also up my life insurance policy, just in case.

In all of my Twittering trying to vindicate my fake news, I came across a post about some guy in a chastising rant directed at whomever started the rumor for making him look foolish for openly sobbing on the bus. The comment made me laugh. I mean, from what I saw on conference, one really should be a bit more prepared for such news.

Although, I hope people sob for me on the bus when my fake news death gets leaked.

From what I've been able to gather, this stupid rumor started on ex-mo Reddit. Which makes me feel three times dumber for falling victim. I offer my deepest apologies.
    Dang it, don't apologize! You will eventually be right.

FTR: I may not be a on a bus, but I will sob for you, amigo.

Haha. Funk yet again a perfect example of our new national pastime.
    Funk feels your pain.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Funk feels your pain.
    With zero basis in fact, he declares that I have no empathy for LGBT people and then contrasts that with his deeply sensitive and enlightened thinking. SJW 101. Very hip right now on social media.
    Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 04-07-2017 at 12:08 PM.

Without zero basis in fact, he declares that I have no empathy for LGBT people and then contrasts that with his deeply sensitive and enlightened thinking. SJW 101. Very hip right now on social media.
    So you're admitting he has some basis in fact. Noted.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    So you're admitting he has some basis in fact. Noted.
    Haha. Good catch. Fixed.

He suffers so they don't have to. Types and shadows.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Unlike most of people on here, I actually like Moliere.
    This can't just pass without pointing out.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Bump

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44358841&nid=1016

President Thomas S. Monson, leader of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, will no longer come to the church offices to attend meetings on a regular basis "because of limitations incident to his age," LDS Church officials said Tuesday.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

President Eyring to take over his responsibilities.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Something tells me that one of the meetings he missed was the one where they decided to dump some of the BSA programs.

How much time will Hal and Dieter go over to his residence to get a yes no answer? Is he able to give very many? Spencer and Ezra, Gordon would make many trips to the apartment with the here secretaries hoping for yes no answer. That and Thursday temple meeting occasionally only time they did much. Little day to day interaction. His days are numbered. Don,t know if he has dementia. Seems like camera shied away from support behind him last Confernces so could not see what was going on. Howard was mentally alert tell he crossed the veil, just in lots and lots of pain.

As a young Aaronic Priesthood holder, President Monson was my favorite conference speaker. I remember being really flattered when a member in one of the wards I served in on my mission told me that my talks reminded her of President Monson. As I grew more cynical, the unique inflection of his voice, and the Dunn-esque license I presumed he took with his widow stories soured me on him a bit.

The last four years have been good for my soul. I'm sorry to see President Monson in poor health. When Elder Haight died, I remember being sad that I would never hear him speak of Ruby (those were my favorite anecdotes). Likewise, I'll miss the way President Monson playfully referred to himself as "Tommy" and his positive messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Likewise, I'll miss the way President Monson playfully referred to himself as "Tommy" and his positive messages.
    What's to miss? His talks will soon be canonized in a "Teaching of the Presidents" book whose lessons you will likely sleep through or ignore during EQ in a few years. Can't wait!
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    What's to miss? His talks will soon be canonized in a "Teaching of the Presidents" book whose lessons you will likely sleep through or ignore during EQ in a few years. Can't wait!
    Like Her Majesty's Death Script, I'm sure that book is already written, it's publication now a mere formality.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

and the Dunn-esque license I presumed he took with his widow stories soured me on him a bit.
    Is there any truth to him Dunning up those stories?

I don't know. It just seemed there were so many of them, all with happy endings centered on Tommy's good deeds, that the cynic in me wondered if he wasn't taking some license with the facts.

I don't know. It just seemed there were so many of them, all with happy endings centered on Tommy's good deeds, that the cynic in me wondered if he wasn't taking some license with the facts.
    He was bishop of a ward that had over 80 widows. That's a lot and would provide a lot of stories to tell. We have two widows in my ward and the service opportunities to them are sometimes limitless. I can also see why he dosent share the bad stories as that would be weird in a faith promoting setting like GC. I also always rememberer his stories more being around his failure to act at first and then the spirit promoting him to finally act. I guess I view them as making him more human and similar to me with my procrastination and the rewards that come from finally acting on the promoting or call.

He was bishop of a ward that had over 80 widows. That's a lot and would provide a lot of stories to tell. We have two widows in my ward and the service opportunities to them are sometimes limitless.
    Agreed. Between the widows and the single moms in our ward we never have a shortage of service opportunities for the YM/YW/RS/Bishopric. Especially for those that don't have much family in the area. Every week it seems like we have someone in the hospital. We currently have 4 people in the ward at varying stages of cancer treatment/hospice. We have two people in jail. We have a couple of single moms struggling to keep their kids out of foster care. I don't know what President Monson was doing for work at the time, but for someone that is heavily involved with the ward members it could easily consume at least a part of every day of the week.

That's been a rumor? Huh, I never heard it. I just assumed he really did have 80-ish widows in his ward.

Now that I think of it, that does seem like a lot of widows for one ward.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    That's been a rumor? Huh, I never heard it. I just assumed he really did have 80-ish widows in his ward.

No. It was my cynical presumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post

Honestly I doubt he has exaggerated much, if at all. Proof that he had lied or even exaggerated would be gold, GOLD JERRY, for the ex-mo crowd. Now maybe they do assert it and I don't know because I'm not on those sites nor do I move in those circles, but my guess is if there was some proof it would be spread widely throughout the land.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Honestly I doubt he has exaggerated much, if at all. Proof that he had lied or even exaggerated would be gold, GOLD JERRY, for the ex-mo crowd. Now maybe they do assert it and I don't know because I'm not on those sites nor do I move in those circles, but my guess is if there was some proof it would be spread widely throughout the land.
    Yeah I have no reason to doubt him. He seems like the type of guy who wouldn't mind taking care of 80 widows. Make that 81 widows, if you count his church widow wife