Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=44358841&nid=1016

President Thomas S. Monson, leader of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, will no longer come to the church offices to attend meetings on a regular basis "because of limitations incident to his age," LDS Church officials said Tuesday.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

President Eyring to take over his responsibilities.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Something tells me that one of the meetings he missed was the one where they decided to dump some of the BSA programs.

Comment

How much time will Hal and Dieter go over to his residence to get a yes no answer? Is he able to give very many? Spencer and Ezra, Gordon would make many trips to the apartment with the here secretaries hoping for yes no answer. That and Thursday temple meeting occasionally only time they did much. Little day to day interaction. His days are numbered. Don,t know if he has dementia. Seems like camera shied away from support behind him last Confernces so could not see what was going on. Howard was mentally alert tell he crossed the veil, just in lots and lots of pain.

Comment

As a young Aaronic Priesthood holder, President Monson was my favorite conference speaker. I remember being really flattered when a member in one of the wards I served in on my mission told me that my talks reminded her of President Monson. As I grew more cynical, the unique inflection of his voice, and the Dunn-esque license I presumed he took with his widow stories soured me on him a bit.

The last four years have been good for my soul. I'm sorry to see President Monson in poor health. When Elder Haight died, I remember being sad that I would never hear him speak of Ruby (those were my favorite anecdotes). Likewise, I'll miss the way President Monson playfully referred to himself as "Tommy" and his positive messages.
            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
              Likewise, I'll miss the way President Monson playfully referred to himself as "Tommy" and his positive messages.
              What's to miss? His talks will soon be canonized in a "Teaching of the Presidents" book whose lessons you will likely sleep through or ignore during EQ in a few years. Can't wait!
              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                What's to miss? His talks will soon be canonized in a "Teaching of the Presidents" book whose lessons you will likely sleep through or ignore during EQ in a few years. Can't wait!
                Like Her Majesty's Death Script, I'm sure that book is already written, it's publication now a mere formality.
                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

and the Dunn-esque license I presumed he took with his widow stories soured me on him a bit.
                  Is there any truth to him Dunning up those stories?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I don't know. It just seemed there were so many of them, all with happy endings centered on Tommy's good deeds, that the cynic in me wondered if he wasn't taking some license with the facts.

Comment

I don't know. It just seemed there were so many of them, all with happy endings centered on Tommy's good deeds, that the cynic in me wondered if he wasn't taking some license with the facts.
                      He was bishop of a ward that had over 80 widows. That's a lot and would provide a lot of stories to tell. We have two widows in my ward and the service opportunities to them are sometimes limitless. I can also see why he dosent share the bad stories as that would be weird in a faith promoting setting like GC. I also always rememberer his stories more being around his failure to act at first and then the spirit promoting him to finally act. I guess I view them as making him more human and similar to me with my procrastination and the rewards that come from finally acting on the promoting or call.

Comment

He was bishop of a ward that had over 80 widows. That's a lot and would provide a lot of stories to tell. We have two widows in my ward and the service opportunities to them are sometimes limitless.
                        Agreed. Between the widows and the single moms in our ward we never have a shortage of service opportunities for the YM/YW/RS/Bishopric. Especially for those that don't have much family in the area. Every week it seems like we have someone in the hospital. We currently have 4 people in the ward at varying stages of cancer treatment/hospice. We have two people in jail. We have a couple of single moms struggling to keep their kids out of foster care. I don't know what President Monson was doing for work at the time, but for someone that is heavily involved with the ward members it could easily consume at least a part of every day of the week.

Comment

That's been a rumor? Huh, I never heard it. I just assumed he really did have 80-ish widows in his ward.

Now that I think of it, that does seem like a lot of widows for one ward.
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            That's been a rumor? Huh, I never heard it. I just assumed he really did have 80-ish widows in his ward.

No. It was my cynical presumption.

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

Honestly I doubt he has exaggerated much, if at all. Proof that he had lied or even exaggerated would be gold, GOLD JERRY, for the ex-mo crowd. Now maybe they do assert it and I don't know because I'm not on those sites nor do I move in those circles, but my guess is if there was some proof it would be spread widely throughout the land.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                Honestly I doubt he has exaggerated much, if at all. Proof that he had lied or even exaggerated would be gold, GOLD JERRY, for the ex-mo crowd. Now maybe they do assert it and I don't know because I'm not on those sites nor do I move in those circles, but my guess is if there was some proof it would be spread widely throughout the land.
                                Yeah I have no reason to doubt him. He seems like the type of guy who wouldn't mind taking care of 80 widows. Make that 81 widows, if you count his church widow wife
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X