X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superheroes and Faith

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...-industry.html
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

That was interesting, and consistent with other essays/observations that note a strong correlation between the decline of organized religion and the rise in popularity of comic books/superhero movies, etc. Apparently a good chunk of the populace is replacing traditional worship with the veneration of comics in their various forms.

I've never loved comic books, although during long road trips as a child my parents would ply us with comics to keep us quiet. It's the only time I ever read them, although they consisted primarily of Archie and Classics Illustrated (I'm excluding Mad from this genre, in part because I was a faithful reader for years). I think I'd find most of today's comic books as interesting as Numbers, Deuteronomy and the duller passages of 2 Nephi. But I guess there's a correlation there, too.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      That was interesting, and consistent with other essays/observations that note a strong correlation between the decline of organized religion and the rise in popularity of comic books/superhero movies, etc. Apparently a good chunk of the populace is replacing traditional worship with the veneration of comics in their various forms.

I've never loved comic books, although during long road trips as a child my parents would ply us with comics to keep us quiet. It's the only time I ever read them, although they consisted primarily of Archie and Classics Illustrated (I'm excluding Mad from this genre, in part because I was a faithful reader for years). I think I'd find most of today's comic books as interesting as Numbers, Deuteronomy and the duller passages of 2 Nephi. But I guess there's a correlation there, too.
      Ha, my parents did the same thing on our regular trips to SE Idaho. Somewhere between Tremonton and Malad we would stop and get a comic book at some candy. But never on the way back. #SAD
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Working...
      X