2017-2018 BYU hoops........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Davies plays for the top Lithuanian team and they actually play in Euroleague. Which outside the NBA is the top league in the world. They play Euroleague games during the week and then their own league games on weekends. Future #1 pick Luka Doncic plays for Real Madrid in the Euroleague. The team the Ball bros are playing on plays in the LKL which is a respectable league, however the Ball bros won't play for them during LKL games. They are playing for them during Baltic league games. To bring this thread back to BYU... The Baltic league MVP in 2011-12 was BYUs own Rashaun Broadus. Rashaun had career averages of 8 points and 3 assists at BYU, but was the best player in the Baltic league for several years. He left the Baltic League for a more lucrative offer playing for the national basketball league of Canada.

My point is the Ball Brothers are essentially playing in the YMCA of Lithuania.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      I agree and don't think they'll last a month, but JV disagrees. Also, calling it now: one the Balls ends up on the Utes roster (with some kind of waiver) before it's all said and done.

Last edited by tooblue; 12-13-2017, 06:48 AM.

Comment

• The way that Lavarr has destroyed his kids' future is unforgivable. I used to hate the whole bunch of them, but now I feel sorry for the boys. Someday they are going to hate him, if they don't already.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Interesting turn of events. It makes sense, logically, for a guy like their youngest who is on possible track to be NBA star and is so far advanced past his peers. He'll get better training, coaching, and game experience in the 16-19 year old time range. But at a big emotional cost. I wonder if we'll see this more often. Or maybe, the US will developer clubs/schools/leagues like the Euro's have.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            Interesting turn of events. It makes sense, logically, for a guy like their youngest who is on possible track to be NBA star and is so far advanced past his peers. He'll get better training, coaching, and game experience in the 16-19 year old time range. But at a big emotional cost. I wonder if we'll see this more often. Or maybe, the US will developer clubs/schools/leagues like the Euro's have.
            This is a joke, right?
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              This is a joke, right?
              uh, no. why?

Comment

• That's what they do for hockey as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_ice_hockey

Comment

uh, no. why?
                  Let's see:

Lavar messes up Lonzo's chance at a real sneaker contract in the NBA and is meddling to badly that the coaching staff had to bring him in and tell him to back off. That will most likely pull Lonzo's market value way down when his contract is up.

Lavar pulls son #2 out of UCLA where he had a full-ride scholarship at a world-class university. This kid is not as good as Lonzo and his path to the NBA is in even greater doubt now. What NBA team would take a chance on a kid with that much baggage?

Son #3 is not very good. Skinny little kid who only put up those numbers because Lavar got the coach to game the system so his kid could put up a million shots. His shooting percentage was not good. Now he does not have an opportunity for a college scholarship and he is playing for peanuts in Lithuania.

This is not clever or innovative, nor is it in their best interest. Lavar is single-handedly destroying his kids' futures.

Comment

• 2017-2018 BYU hoops........

https://twitter.com/foxsportsradio/s...96974026817536

Comment

Let's see:

Lavar messes up Lonzo's chance at a real sneaker contract in the NBA and is meddling to badly that the coaching staff had to bring him in and tell him to back off. That will most likely pull Lonzo's market value way down when his contract is up.

Lavar pulls son #2 out of UCLA where he had a full-ride scholarship at a world-class university. This kid is not as good as Lonzo and his path to the NBA is in even greater doubt now. What NBA team would take a chance on a kid with that much baggage?

Son #3 is not very good. Skinny little kid who only put up those numbers because Lavar got the coach to game the system so his kid could put up a million shots. His shooting percentage was not good. Now he does not have an opportunity for a college scholarship and he is playing for peanuts in Lithuania.

This is not clever or innovative, nor is it in their best interest. Lavar is single-handedly destroying his kids' futures.
                      OK. I was talking more in theory about the concept of taking a 16 year old NBA prospect out of the US system and into the Euro system, where they could arguably have accelerated basketball training during that time period that would cover a kid's high school and college career. My comment is that it might be a better basketball decision, but it would come with mental and emotional cost.

As for the specific application here to the Balls. For son #2, I agree. For son #3, I was assuming he was the best prospect of the three and was considered a safe bet as future lottery pick. I guess I'm wrong. Haven't paid that much attention.

Comment

OK. I was talking more in theory about the concept of taking a 16 year old NBA prospect out of the US system and into the Euro system, where they could arguably have accelerated basketball training during that time period that would cover a kid's high school and college career. My comment is that it might be a better basketball decision, but it would come with mental and emotional cost.

As for the specific application here to the Balls. For son #2, I agree. For son #3, I was assuming he was the best prospect of the three and was considered a safe bet as future lottery pick. I guess I'm wrong. Haven't paid that much attention.
                        Yeah the third Ball boy (LaMelo) is a legit star (ranked #7 in ESPN's rankings of 2019 recruits).

The second Ball boy (LiAngelo), the shoplifter, is the one who is not an NBA prospect: Utah and BYU routinely sign higher ranked prospects than LiAngelo. The decision to pull him out of UCLA to get training for a future basketball career was stupid.

The first Ball boy (Lonzo) was also highly rated coming out of high school: the 4th rated prospect by ESPN.

Comment

Let's see:

Agree except about Lonzo’s future contract. His play for the Lakers will largely set his value in the NBA. His daddy issues will only affect the minor margins after a couple of
                          years.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• RPI is around 50. BYU is being mentioned as being a bubble team. BYU is on a six game win streak and should go into the St Mary's game with it at 9. Get a good win over the Gaels at home and BYU is likely moved itself off the bubble and into the dance in most prognostications until BYU loses again - which could not come until BYU goes to St Mary's. BYU has played itself into contention by being consistent and taking care of business. It has yet to get a really good win, only Gonzaga offers that for them the rest of the year, but it has yet to have a bad loss and has beaten some decent teams. Beating St Mary's is as solid a win as beating Utah and is definitely a resume builder. Without a win over Gonzaga I think it will come down to the WCC tourney for both St Mary's and BYU with the winner of the semi-final 2 vs 3 matchup getting an at large bid. The other will be on the bubble on selection Sunday and could go dancing or to the NIT. The game I worry most about BYU losing is at San Diego. I think BYU's resume can afford to lose at both Gonzaga and St Mary's, but I am not sure they can absorb a loss to anyone else and San Diego can be pretty decent and winning there will be tough.
                            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                            -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                            -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                              RPI is around 50. BYU is being mentioned as being a bubble team. BYU is on a six game win streak and should go into the St Mary's game with it at 9. Get a good win over the Gaels at home and BYU is likely moved itself off the bubble and into the dance in most prognostications until BYU loses again - which could not come until BYU goes to St Mary's. BYU has played itself into contention by being consistent and taking care of business. It has yet to get a really good win, only Gonzaga offers that for them the rest of the year, but it has yet to have a bad loss and has beaten some decent teams. Beating St Mary's is as solid a win as beating Utah and is definitely a resume builder. Without a win over Gonzaga I think it will come down to the WCC tourney for both St Mary's and BYU with the winner of the semi-final 2 vs 3 matchup getting an at large bid. The other will be on the bubble on selection Sunday and could go dancing or to the NIT. The game I worry most about BYU losing is at San Diego. I think BYU's resume can afford to lose at both Gonzaga and St Mary's, but I am not sure they can absorb a loss to anyone else and San Diego can be pretty decent and winning there will be tough.
                              You only worry about San Diego?

BYU is 3-8 the last 4 years against Pepperdine including 4 consecutive losses in Malibu.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                                You only worry about San Diego?

BYU is 3-8 the last 4 years against Pepperdine including 4 consecutive losses in Malibu.
                                Yes but this team doesn't have the feel of past teams and plays a more controlled style which was susceptible to teams slowing it down in their gyms. I won't say "oops" losses are over but BYU seems to win games it should.
                                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X