Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 1151

Thread: 2017-2018 BYU hoops........

  1. #61
    Peanut Gallery Asshat HBCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    BYU's offensive ranking by Ken Pomeroy year by year since 2012:

    2012: 111
    2013: 50
    2014: 31
    2015: 10
    2016: 48
    2017: 87

    Curiously perhaps, the two worst BY FAR offensive teams in the post-Jimmer era have been on our two teams with the strongest inside presence -- 2012 with Davies and Hartsock, and this year with Mika and Childs. Most of the other years have had notoriously weak/thin inside talent. BYU just does better with guard-focused offenses. Actually, I recently read this is true for most college teams. No one would argue Mika wouldn't be a loss. But it would be best to change up the offense even if he comes back. An open shot from outside is probably better than a contested turn-around, fading, mid range shot by one of the bigs.
    Conceivably, a dominant big can free up a lot of open looks on the perimeter, but Mika struggles pretty badly with the ability to recognize or adapt to where the double team is coming from. St Mary's sent the double from the weak side as soon as Eric put the ball on the floor, and he didn't pick up on it for an entire half. That type of tunnel vision kills any kind of fluid ball movement, and guys tend to stand around instead of cutting or adjusting their spacing to an open lane. BYU tried to implement a little high/low dump to Yo late it the year, but you could tell they never got really comfortable with it. Think back to the type of ball movement the early Duncan Spurs teams had with him either at the high post or moving the ball inside-out. It can be done, but I'm not sure it can be done with Mika.

  2. #62
    a.k.a. K-dog KillerDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HBCoug View Post
    Conceivably, a dominant big can free up a lot of open looks on the perimeter, but Mika struggles pretty badly with the ability to recognize or adapt to where the double team is coming from. St Mary's sent the double from the weak side as soon as Eric put the ball on the floor, and he didn't pick up on it for an entire half. That type of tunnel vision kills any kind of fluid ball movement, and guys tend to stand around instead of cutting or adjusting their spacing to an open lane. BYU tried to implement a little high/low dump to Yo late it the year, but you could tell they never got really comfortable with it. Think back to the type of ball movement the early Duncan Spurs teams had with him either at the high post or moving the ball inside-out. It can be done, but I'm not sure it can be done with Mika.
    He struggled with passing all year. They worked on the high low starting early because of Davis' skills but the younger guys had trouble reading and reacting.

  3. #63
    Senior Member BigFatMeanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Jordan, UT
    Posts
    2,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    He struggled with passing all year. They worked on the high low starting early because of Davis' skills but the younger guys had trouble reading and reacting.
    Can't pass when you're holding the ball down by your nuts.

  4. #64
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,760

    Default

    I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen Davis pass out of the post...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  5. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen Davis pass out of the post...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you are not double teamed, they shouldn't pass out of the post. They should take their man one on one and try to score. No reason for our big men as skilled as they are, to not attack down low. With that being said when the double comes (which they didn't always see) they should find the open shooter.
    *Banned*

  6. #66

    Default

    In other news; looks like Guinn, Aytes, and Kaufusi have all been shown the door.

    That opens up 4 scholarships with the Davis and LJ graduating. (Kaufusi was on football schollie I believe)

    I would expect the 4 go to:

    Seljaas
    Andrus
    Nixon
    Late Signee (preferably a point guard)

    If Harding stays I don't think we sign anyone or Andrus finishes his career at UVU. I am also not sure we have a spot for Luke when he gets back.
    Last edited by cougjunkie; 04-13-2017 at 08:49 AM.
    *Banned*

  7. #67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    In other news; looks like Guinn, Aytes, and Kaufusi have all been shown the door.

    That opens up 4 scholarships with the Davis and LJ graduating. (Kaufusi was on football schollie I believe)

    I would expect the 4 go to:

    Seljaas
    Andrus
    Nixon
    Late Signee (preferably a point guard)

    If Harding stays I don't think we sign anyone or Andrus finishes his career at UVU. I am also not sure we have a spot for Luke when he gets back.
    Aytes and Guinn are graduating from school as of June. Guinn I read is going to pursue a JD/MBA. He was supposed to be a walkon anyway. Aytes is also getting his degree in June, and basketball at the next level isn't realistic, so it makes sense for him to move on as well. Kaufusi was probably even better than expected last year on the football team, so like his brother, it makes sense for him to go football only. And yes, he was on football scholarship, per NCAA rules around multi-sport scholarship athletes: the sport played earliest in the school year is the one that gets charged the scholarship.

  8. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Aytes and Guinn are graduating from school as of June. Guinn I read is going to pursue a JD/MBA. He was supposed to be a walkon anyway. Aytes is also getting his degree in June, and basketball at the next level isn't realistic, so it makes sense for him to move on as well. Kaufusi was probably even better than expected last year on the football team, so like his brother, it makes sense for him to go football only. And yes, he was on football scholarship, per NCAA rules around multi-sport scholarship athletes: the sport played earliest in the school year is the one that gets charged the scholarship.
    Guinn is going to law school so my guess is the Chatman rule applies. He was on schollie last year per Jay Drew.
    *Banned*

  9. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Guinn is going to law school so my guess is the Chatman rule applies. He was on schollie last year per Jay Drew.
    Correct, Guinn was on a scholarship. But what I meant was that he originally wasn't and wouldn't have been last year either. He (and Beo) got scholarships last year after other players unexpectedly transferred out. There is the popular narrative out there that Rose pushed everyone out that transferred, but that only applies to Neilson.

  10. #70
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    In other news; looks like Guinn, Aytes, and Kaufusi have all been shown the door.
    Is Kaufusi getting the boot or deciding to focus on football? Or is Dave Rose deciding that Kaufusi should focus on football?

    That loss stings, if only because how much the Zags fans loathe Kaufusi.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  11. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Is Kaufusi getting the boot or deciding to focus on football? Or is Dave Rose deciding that Kaufusi should focus on football?

    That loss stings, if only because how much the Zags fans loathe Kaufusi.
    Kaufusi is on football scholarship, but I think Rose talked to him about his role a bit moving forward. I know they have a formal meeting this week. But it sounds like Corbin wants to focus on football and make a run at the NFL.
    *Banned*

  12. #72

    Default

    Nashif fired.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *Banned*

  13. #73
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Nashif fired.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoa. That ought to make Moliere happy.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  14. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Whoa. That ought to make Moliere happy.
    I should clarify, BYU is letting him save face. He is "pursuing other business interests".
    *Banned*

  15. #75
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Whoa. That ought to make Moliere happy.


    I'll admit I'm not a Nashif super fan, but I really don't know enough to decide if he's a good coach or not. But hey, Rose needed to fire someone so why not Nashif


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  16. #76
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    I should clarify, BYU is letting him save face. He is "pursuing other business interests".
    As in "Go mind your own business; you're done here. "
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  17. #77
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,254

    Default

    I am going to miss his fashion sense on the bench. He always looked sharp.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  18. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I am going to miss his fashion sense on the bench. He always looked sharp.
    he looked like a chinese exchange student in those dumb glasses
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  19. #79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    In other news; looks like Guinn, Aytes, and Kaufusi have all been shown the door.

    That opens up 4 scholarships with the Davis and LJ graduating. (Kaufusi was on football schollie I believe)

    I would expect the 4 go to:

    Seljaas
    Andrus
    Nixon
    Late Signee (preferably a point guard)

    If Harding stays I don't think we sign anyone or Andrus finishes his career at UVU. I am also not sure we have a spot for Luke when he gets back.
    Leifson is going on a mission, so that opens a 5th scholarship.

  20. #80
    Peanut Gallery Asshat HBCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    he looked like a chinese exchange student in those dumb glasses
    Are we sure Nashif isn't just pissed at all the times coach Rose sent him off to find a bowl of Lucky Charms with heavy whipping cream?

  21. #81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HBCoug View Post
    Are we sure Nashif isn't just pissed at all the times coach Rose sent him off to find a bowl of Lucky Charms with heavy whipping cream?
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  22. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HBCoug View Post
    Are we sure Nashif isn't just pissed at all the times coach Rose sent him off to find a bowl of Lucky Charms with heavy whipping cream?
    Nashif is Dabrockster? That explains a lot.
    *Banned*

  23. #83
    a.k.a. K-dog KillerDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Nashif fired.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Terry's a good coach but it's a hard business. He could have moved on earlier but is BYU to his bones. I expect he will do well.

  24. #84

    Default

    This Bergerson signing looks interesting. Had some interest from LSU and some SEC schools. Good size. Good shooter. Seems like he'll be better than the guys leaving the program. The core is still solid. It was the role players and bench that was a huge liability last year I thought.

  25. #85
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    This Bergerson signing looks interesting. Had some interest from LSU and some SEC schools. Good size. Good shooter. Seems like he'll be better than the guys leaving the program. The core is still solid. It was the role players and bench that was a huge liability last year I thought.
    You don't think he's a lot like Davin Guinn?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  26. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    You don't think he's a lot like Davin Guinn?
    Even if they are the same player right now, he is a freshman, Guinn is a senior. So you hope he can develop.
    *Banned*

  27. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    You don't think he's a lot like Davin Guinn?
    I think it's reasonable to assume he's better. Wasn't Guinn a walkon at the low-major school he went to before BYU? Or am I thinking of someone else?

  28. #88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    I think it's reasonable to assume he's better. Wasn't Guinn a walkon at the low-major school he went to before BYU? Or am I thinking of someone else?
    Guinn was on scholarship at UC Riverside before transferring to BYU post-mission.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

  29. #89
    a.k.a. K-dog KillerDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,070

    Default

    Guinness is a better athlete but a worse shooter. Bergerson's got slow feet. Losing Davin wasn't expected but it's best for him. He is smart, talented and driven. Someone should talk him out of the JD though.

  30. #90

    Default

    I would think Mika's name should need to be showing up on some mock draft lists in the next 2-3 weeks for it to make any sense to come out early. Still nowhere to be found on those.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •