Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 BYU hoops........

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    He came from Elon, so he can't be that great. At least that's how the story went when he transferred here and until he got over the injuries.
    I was skeptical, not because of Elon, but because his shooting was bad at Elon. there was hope because he was just a frosh, but improvement (or lack of) is always a wildcard.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Trump-hating snowflake Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    He came from Elon, so he can't be that great. At least that's how the story went when he transferred here and until he got over the injuries.
    Some of us saw his potential right away.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Some of us saw his potential right away.
    The fact he was also heavily recruited by some very good programs besides us during his transfer should have said something. (Butler, Miami, Dayton, Texas A&M)

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    I went to the Pacific game and it was fun. I still can't understand why those two skinny black fellows thought a high concentration of mormons in one place exposed them to the Swine Flu. Elijah Bryant is a good college basketball player. I overestimated Childs this year and bought into too much of the hype going into the year - as I am prone to do. I do think that next year he will be the player I was expecting this year as he isn't far but he must increase his range a bit, he has hit some threes this year so it is something he improved upon from his FR to SO year and if he can show similar improvement I would expect him to be improved enough that there will be a need to consistently defend him out to the arc, and I expect his offensive efficiency to improve. If there is anyone who can make a big jump I think it should be TJ although his slight frame and fear of contact, to the point it seems he is trying to create it sometimes, might get in the way. But I think the rest will show a gradual improvement and with the return of Emery and a very experienced team I expect a good year.

Good year = good enough that BYU is not on the bubble on selection sunday.
    I agree with the bolded statement, whenever BYU is a virtual lock for the Tourney with a chance to win one or two on the first weekend, that's a very good year for BYU. Second weekend appearances would require an exceptional talent, not on the current team.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    I don't think Eli gets the credit for the season he is having. 51% from the floor, 45% from 3 and 90% from the foul line. His shot selection is damn near perfect, he has done it all within the rhythm of the offense. He is also an absolute bully in the post on that baseline drive.

YO has some stuff to work on, I thought he would struggle against bigger centers this year, but he has remained consistent offensively. Defensively he really should be playing the 4.

Seljaas has been a disappointment because he is asked to play out of position this year. He is playing the 4 and its not his game. Zac is still shooting 48% from the floor and 36% from 3. If TJ had those numbers we would be praising him.

Instead TJ is now shooting under 40%. He is really struggling to find his spot in this offense.

I think our best offensive lineup is TJ, Eli, Zac, Yo, P-Das. Unfortunately that is by far our worst defensive lineup. The best defensive lineup is Jashire, (plug in a subpar defender here whether its TJ or Zac), Eli, Yo and Luke.

Either way we are much better than last year, with the return of Connor Harding (another shooter), and Kolby Lee (another post player) next year should be great.
    Connor Harding will not be back for next year. Next year's FR are Kolby Lee and Gavin Baxter. I don't think either will play very much and I would like to see Baxter redshirt to work on his body and game.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Pre-Historic Man

Connor Harding will not be back for next year. Next year's FR are Kolby Lee and Gavin Baxter. I don't think either will play very much and I would like to see Baxter redshirt to work on his body and game.
    You don't believe Baxter can add the little something extra?

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    You don't believe Baxter can add the little something extra?
    I think that with Childs, Worthington, Seljaas ( remember that Emery returns so the perimeter returns everyone and picks up a previous two year starter so I am thinking Seljaas sees more time next year at the 4 than the 3) and Nixon there won't be the minutes to justify using a year of eligibility. This is how I felt about Dastrup playing last year - total waste. Especially because he isn't playing a great deal this year. I think Dastrup could provide BYU something significant as a RS Senior in 2020-2021 but his eligibility will be exhausted after 19-20. I just don't see what Baxter could possibly provide next year that justifies wasting a year of eligibility on sparse-no minutes.

There have been a lot of kids I would prefer to see redshirted so it is safe to assume Coach Rose and the athletes likely have a different perspective than I do. Hence, I expect the kid to play and then 3 years later I will whine about the wasted year.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Pre-Historic Man

I think that with Childs, Worthington, Seljaas ( remember that Emery returns so the perimeter returns everyone and picks up a previous two year starter so I am thinking Seljaas sees more time next year at the 4 than the 3) and Nixon there won't be the minutes to justify using a year of eligibility. This is how I felt about Dastrup playing last year - total waste. Especially because he isn't playing a great deal this year. I think Dastrup could provide BYU something significant as a RS Senior in 2020-2021 but his eligibility will be exhausted after 19-20. I just don't see what Baxter could possibly provide next year that justifies wasting a year of eligibility on sparse-no minutes.

There have been a lot of kids I would prefer to see redshirted so it is safe to assume Coach Rose and the athletes likely have a different perspective than I do. Hence, I expect the kid to play and then 3 years later I will whine about the wasted year.
    Speaking of string-pulling pussies .....

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barst...ad-of-byu-game

NY Post- Be creative, not insulting.

That’s the request from the Gonzaga administration to its students before the Zags play host to BYU on Saturday night.

According to the Gonzaga Bulletin, school higher-ups are requesting that students don’t dress up as Mormon missionaries, as they have in the past when the two rivals meet in Spokane.

“[Those costumes don’t] really represent who we are as a university and it shines bad on us and doesn’t show a welcoming community that supports everybody,” said Colleen Vandenboom…

Great. Another one bites the dust. Another fantastic expression of creative fandom is snuffed out by an overly sensitive school board. Are Mormons really offended by a couple guys dressing up in a shirt and tie? The bike helmets might be a little too on-the-nose, but they tie the whole outfit together. Look at those guys. Hysterical. Would I be offended if I were a Mormon? Perhaps, for a second. Then I’d go back to my wives and alcohol-free beer, I’d turn on the Jazz game, and I’d remember that the dudes who make South Park created one of the most successful musicals of all time that mocks my religion WAY more than a couple college basketball fans.

Mormons also seem to have thick skin. They are the butt of a lot of jokes, yet you don’t see them protesting in the streets too often. Mostly, they show up at your door looking like government agents who need to take a sample of something you found in your basement. As far as BYU goes, if you’re going to expel college students for having premarital sex, you need to be able to handle a little ribbing. And I’m not referring to condoms, since those are probably frowned upon as well.

Willie brought up the concept of “soaking” on the radio the other day. If you’re not familiar, this is the Mormon solution to satisfying one’s sexual urges without having “sex.” Apparently, you just put your penis in and let it marinade for a while, but you can’t move around. No humping, bumping, thrusting, wobbling, or shivering allowed. This sounds like my nightmare. Call me old-fashioned but I need to hump. Lying perfectly still, as though you just heard your parents come home, sounds like a miserable time. What’s more, I don’t understand how this is a suitable workaround, but I’m not familiar with the sexual bylaws within the Book of Mormon. “Thou shall insert and soak up the juices for as long as thee pleases. However, if an earthquake begins, thou shalt immediately vacate the tunnel, place thine member back within thy robes, and retire to separate rooms. Pre-marital friction is strictly prohibited!”
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    WTH?!? No way this "soaking" is an actual thing. This is the modern tennis racket, oral is moral, anal-only, murban legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    WTH?!? No way this "soaking" is an actual thing. This is the modern tennis racket, oral is moral, anal-only, murban legend.
    He is off target. He is referring to the "Provo Soak". He has part of it right...but it's oral. Lol.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Oh no. Eli down.

Not a knee, hit in the face.

Well we knew they were NIT unless they won the tourney. This is just confirmation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Trump-hating snowflake Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Here is that second horrible loss. Every damn year.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

So bad.

Outsider looking in Blueintheface's Avatar

Wow. I don’t recognize the players but the results appear the same as last year. This is one messed up team. Sorry, guys. Not fun times in BYU athletics.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Holy shit! That really sucked.

I mean, come on.

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

How can stats like this not come back on the one consistent for the last 6 years - Dave Rose? Rose seems like a good guy, and good (not great) coach. I donít know if there is a better alternative (Iím not sure Pope is ready for the jump yet). Take away Jimmer and the Dave rose era is more defined by underachieving.

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Haws. smh
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Who'd a thought three years ago this season we'd only have one of the LP three, and TJ would be a below average shooter. At least he got his assist to TO ratio up. Is he lazy? What's his problem? In high school he seemed like a can't miss prospect. More talented than his brother that was near superstar status.

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Who'd a thought three years ago this season we'd only have one of the LP three, and TJ would be a below average shooter. At least he got his assist to TO ratio up. Is he lazy? What's his problem? In high school he seemed like a can't miss prospect. More talented than his brother that was near superstar status.
    I think one explanation - not the entire explanation is that they've taken the ball out of his hands. he's simply not as good off the ball.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

https://www.deseretnews.com/top/2121...ll-future.html

Still gonna win the Big 12, but lose the conf tourney on a buzzer beater to Baylor, and go to the Final Four. Next year though, national champs!
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    https://www.deseretnews.com/top/2121...ll-future.html

Still gonna win the Big 12, but lose the conf tourney on a buzzer beater to Baylor, and go to the Final Four. Next year though, national champs!
    Sweet. Utes are winning the PAC this year.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Scoring is apparently very hard.

Bryant’s not gonna be able to walk tomorrow morning.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Bummer. Thought the magic was going to happen again, but alas.

Oh well.