Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 780 of 1151

Thread: 2017-2018 BYU hoops........

  1. #751

    Default

    The last two games Haws is 6/10 from three and 9/18 overall. He has had some sets of games before this one where he shot better only to slump back. On December 21st and 23rd against Idaho State and Texas Southern he combined for 9/17 from the field, and December 6th and 9th against Illinois State and Weber State he combined for 15/28 from the field. Hopefully this time his shooting stays good.

    A few others have mentioned, but Haws has clearly improved his game in pretty much everything other than shooting this year. If his better shooting of the last couple of games can stick and he can be a more reliable scorer the rest of the season, it bodes well for what this team can do from here on out. I know it "feels" perhaps like they haven't lived up to where some of us would like them to be right now, but 16-4 is not bad. We haven't had a record that good after 20 games since 2012. 2 of those losses were on the very last play. Yes, I know maybe the expected response to that is to look for how many wins could have gone the other way, but UMass is about the only one where you can really go there. And that was pretty early in the year. It was a nice win because the team needed to play great for the last five or six minutes to pull that one out. I think there was some pretty wide variation among the fans as to what to expect this year, but 16-4 is not anywhere near the dumpster fire category a few fans were fearing.

    Also, SMC gutting it out to win at Gonzaga last night was impressive. But they actually came closer to losing to us than to the Zags. The Pacific game of course sucks, but they've at least been playing very well since that game. They may actually be emerging as the 4th team in the league. We'll see how it goes. USD is struggling of late, but if we see a strong performance tomorrow, I like where this team can still go, especially if Nixon can come back soon.
    Last edited by BlueK; 01-19-2018 at 01:26 PM.

  2. #752

    Default

    I've been down on Haws. I honestly think he's been a bit of a head case. Last night he played well. I'm hoping it's a sign that he's working through whatever issues he needs to, be that team dynamics or whatever else.

  3. #753
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I've been down on Haws. I honestly think he's been a bit of a head case. Last night he played well. I'm hoping it's a sign that he's working through whatever issues he needs to, be that team dynamics or whatever else.
    He seems to be taking better shots, for starters. Not forcing it quite so much.

    I hope he keeps it up. We need him.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  4. #754

    Default

    It seems like he used to get a lot of calls on his drives last year that he's not getting this year.

  5. #755

    Default

    I had no idea Dastrup could get up like he did on thunder jam toward the end of the first half.

  6. #756
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    I had no idea Dastrup could get up like he did on thunder jam toward the end of the first half.
    He has more spring than I would have imagined.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  7. #757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    It was an uninspired second half.
    ? Isn't that what I already said?

  8. #758
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    ? Isn't that what I already said?
    Great minds think alike?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  9. #759
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,860

    Default

    Saint Mary's followed up their win in the Kennel on Thursday by surviving in a 3 point win at Pacific last night.

  10. #760
    a.k.a. K-dog KillerDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Saint Mary's followed up their win in the Kennel on Thursday by surviving in a 3 point win at Pacific last night.
    Pacific is better than people thought.

  11. #761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    Pacific is better than people thought.
    They're playing well now and establishing themselves as the 4th team this year. It's just too bad they got off to a slow start which means their overall numbers are not going to be as good as their team actually is at the end of the season.

  12. #762
    вот так штука CardiacCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The SLC
    Posts
    10,114

    Default

    Seljaas was so horrible tonight. He has been a major disappointment this season/

  13. #763
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,687

    Default

    That was a nice win. Wonderful atmosphere in the MC tonight.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  14. #764
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,757

    Default

    Even though we benefitted from the officials in the second half, they were still terrible.

    I’ve always liked Stoudamire. Seems like a players coach.

    I love it when Rose gets pissed.

    TJ needs to be sharp. Dude is such a wild card.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  15. #765
    вот так штука CardiacCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The SLC
    Posts
    10,114

    Default

    UT-Arlington has actually turned out to be a mediocre team with a 166 RPI and sitting at 6th place in their conference after another loss tonight. BYU is by far their best win this season.

    So those are the 2 bad losses for the Cougs this season: Pacific and UTA.

  16. #766
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Even though we benefitted from the officials in the second half, they were still terrible.
    I haven't seen many WCC games (10pm start times!!!) but I watched most fo the game tonight. The refs are beyond horrible. I see better reffing at my son's high school bball games.

    Eli is the man.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  17. #767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    UT-Arlington has actually turned out to be a mediocre team with a 166 RPI and sitting at 6th place in their conference after another loss tonight. BYU is by far their best win this season.

    So those are the 2 bad losses for the Cougs this season: Pacific and UTA.
    To go along with no real good wins. Not a good recipe for an at large bid

  18. #768
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I haven't seen many WCC games (10pm start times!!!) but I watched most fo the game tonight. The refs are beyond horrible. I see better reffing at my son's high school bball games.

    Eli is the man.
    Eli is the man and the refs indeed suck. I feel like they would reward him with more free throws if he wasn't so strong. He plays through body contact going to the hoop so well that the WCC officials won't give him the calls. Has to be frustrating.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  19. #769
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    9,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Eli is the man and the refs indeed suck. I feel like they would reward him with more free throws if he wasn't so strong. He plays through body contact going to the hoop so well that the WCC officials won't give him the calls. Has to be frustrating.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Not necessarily. TJ, who isn't nearly as strong as Eli, shows the counter example. Doesn't seem to get any calls on the drive. To be fair, he did get a couple of obvious calls last night. First, when he was attacked in the open court. The other was when the UoP player was attempting to prevent TJ from ever having children.
    Last edited by Pelado; 01-28-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  20. #770
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    To go along with no real good wins. Not a good recipe for an at large bid
    Let's just hope BYU hopes several NIT games before making it to the NIT Final Four. Nothing to be proud of, but maybe enough to build for a possible play-in game for the 2019 season.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  21. #771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    UT-Arlington has actually turned out to be a mediocre team with a 166 RPI and sitting at 6th place in their conference after another loss tonight. BYU is by far their best win this season.

    So those are the 2 bad losses for the Cougs this season: Pacific and UTA.
    UTA is a huge disappointment. They were a very good team last year and start all seniors. Not sure if they've had injury issues. That would be the only thing that might explain it.

  22. #772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Let's just hope BYU hopes several NIT games before making it to the NIT Final Four. Nothing to be proud of, but maybe enough to build for a possible play-in game for the 2019 season.
    I think we can do much better than a play in game next year if we can hold the team together for next year. We've been wiping out most of the roster every year for the last four or five years, and it's killed us.

  23. #773
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Let's just hope BYU hopes several NIT games before making it to the NIT Final Four. Nothing to be proud of, but maybe enough to build for a possible play-in game for the 2019 season.
    Why are you so manic-depressive?

    I think the Lone Peak 3/big time recruits BYU has had the past few years have underwhelmed to some extent. But saying that if Mika had not gone pro this team would likely be in the NCAA tourney this year and if Mika played at BYU his senior year I think BYU would be likely to win at least one game in the tourney next year. The drum that BlueK keeps beating about roster destruction is salient. I don't know why all the kids transferred but it didn't help and BYU is underperforming the expectations but the frustrating reality is it isn't as bad as one might think. While a black and white analysis has us not making the tourney for the third straight year this team is better than last year by a fairly decent amount and everyone returns next year. Further, they get Nick Emery back and I don't think it odd to think we get a Nick Emery who will be better than the freshman Emery. Everybody should improve a bit with perhaps TJ Haws making a big jump from this year to next. I don't see a Fredette or Ainge type of player, and it might take somebody that good to get BYU to the 2nd weekend so if you wanna be a whining pussie there is always the angle of BYU never doing anything "significant" and by "significant" you can mean sweet 16 or move the goalposts elsewhere if you are a really, really whining pussie, but I think BYU will be experienced and good. If they play a good OOC schedule they should overperform their real capacity because they should not have the growing pains in November and December that less experienced, albeit more talented, teams will endure. Chin up and don't let the fact that your son elected to go to a pussie academy affect your testicular fortitude. The future is pretty bright.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  24. #774
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Eli is the man and the refs indeed suck. I feel like they would reward him with more free throws if he wasn't so strong. He plays through body contact going to the hoop so well that the WCC officials won't give him the calls. Has to be frustrating.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I went to the Pacific game and it was fun. I still can't understand why those two skinny black fellows thought a high concentration of mormons in one place exposed them to the Swine Flu. Elijah Bryant is a good college basketball player. I overestimated Childs this year and bought into too much of the hype going into the year - as I am prone to do. I do think that next year he will be the player I was expecting this year as he isn't far but he must increase his range a bit, he has hit some threes this year so it is something he improved upon from his FR to SO year and if he can show similar improvement I would expect him to be improved enough that there will be a need to consistently defend him out to the arc, and I expect his offensive efficiency to improve. If there is anyone who can make a big jump I think it should be TJ although his slight frame and fear of contact, to the point it seems he is trying to create it sometimes, might get in the way. But I think the rest will show a gradual improvement and with the return of Emery and a very experienced team I expect a good year.

    Good year = good enough that BYU is not on the bubble on selection sunday.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  25. #775
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    I went to the Pacific game and it was fun. I still can't understand why those two skinny black fellows thought a high concentration of mormons in one place exposed them to the Swine Flu. Elijah Bryant is a good college basketball player. I overestimated Childs this year and bought into too much of the hype going into the year - as I am prone to do. I do think that next year he will be the player I was expecting this year as he isn't far but he must increase his range a bit, he has hit some threes this year so it is something he improved upon from his FR to SO year and if he can show similar improvement I would expect him to be improved enough that there will be a need to consistently defend him out to the arc, and I expect his offensive efficiency to improve. If there is anyone who can make a big jump I think it should be TJ although his slight frame and fear of contact, to the point it seems he is trying to create it sometimes, might get in the way. But I think the rest will show a gradual improvement and with the return of Emery and a very experienced team I expect a good year.

    Good year = good enough that BYU is not on the bubble on selection sunday.
    I can't figure out why PDas doesn't see more time on the floor. What am I missing?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  26. #776
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I can't figure out why PDas doesn't see more time on the floor. What am I missing?
    I am not sure either. I do think I can tell that he is the worst defender in the post of the 4 that play, but I would think his better offensive game than all save Yoeli would get him some minutes. He does appear to loaf a bit to me and that likely infuriates his coaches especially when it results in missed assignments or exposing others to fouls etc.

    I would like to think he will earn more minutes more consistently but given how long Nixon was out with an injury and the fact that all are returning for next year I just don't see it anymore. I jumped on his bandwagon earlier this year but I have consigned myself to the reality that if he didn't seize the opportunity while Nixon was injured, he isn't gonna be given a good chance until the year after Worthington is gone. My real complaint with Dastrup is I cannot figure out for the life of me why he wasn't redshirted last year. I don't understand some of those decisions.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  27. #777

    Default

    I don't think Eli gets the credit for the season he is having. 51% from the floor, 45% from 3 and 90% from the foul line. His shot selection is damn near perfect, he has done it all within the rhythm of the offense. He is also an absolute bully in the post on that baseline drive.

    YO has some stuff to work on, I thought he would struggle against bigger centers this year, but he has remained consistent offensively. Defensively he really should be playing the 4.

    Seljaas has been a disappointment because he is asked to play out of position this year. He is playing the 4 and its not his game. Zac is still shooting 48% from the floor and 36% from 3. If TJ had those numbers we would be praising him.

    Instead TJ is now shooting under 40%. He is really struggling to find his spot in this offense.

    I think our best offensive lineup is TJ, Eli, Zac, Yo, P-Das. Unfortunately that is by far our worst defensive lineup. The best defensive lineup is Jashire, (plug in a subpar defender here whether its TJ or Zac), Eli, Yo and Luke.

    Either way we are much better than last year, with the return of Connor Harding (another shooter), and Kolby Lee (another post player) next year should be great.
    *Banned*

  28. #778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    I don't think Eli gets the credit for the season he is having. 51% from the floor, 45% from 3 and 90% from the foul line. His shot selection is damn near perfect, he has done it all within the rhythm of the offense. He is also an absolute bully in the post on that baseline drive.

    YO has some stuff to work on, I thought he would struggle against bigger centers this year, but he has remained consistent offensively. Defensively he really should be playing the 4.

    Seljaas has been a disappointment because he is asked to play out of position this year. He is playing the 4 and its not his game. Zac is still shooting 48% from the floor and 36% from 3. If TJ had those numbers we would be praising him.

    Instead TJ is now shooting under 40%. He is really struggling to find his spot in this offense.

    I think our best offensive lineup is TJ, Eli, Zac, Yo, P-Das. Unfortunately that is by far our worst defensive lineup. The best defensive lineup is Jashire, (plug in a subpar defender here whether its TJ or Zac), Eli, Yo and Luke.

    Either way we are much better than last year, with the return of Connor Harding (another shooter), and Kolby Lee (another post player) next year should be great.
    If you take TJ's numbers from the last five games, he has gotten better offensively than he was earlier in the season.

  29. #779

    Default

    Bryant has been incredible.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  30. #780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    Bryant has been incredible.
    He came from Elon, so he can't be that great. At least that's how the story went when he transferred here and until he got over the injuries.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •