2017-2018 BYU hoops........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
    The last 5 minutes or so he did. But Princeton and UT Arlington are top 100 and maybe even borderline top 50 teams, which makes these hugely important games for us. UTA could be even better than that. They just beat Oklahoma on the road by 15 points in an exhibition. I'm sure he wants the main rotation players playing together as much as possible now since both of these games are in the next ten days. With the conference we play in and the rest of our schedule, we just don't have the luxury of not being ready to play anyone who can be counted as a good win come March.
    There really weren't any scrubs to play other than Troy, I was being goofy. Wrubell seems to think BYU will have an 8 or 9 man rotation. That sounds about right for a team that could struggle at times to find some consistency.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
      There really weren't any scrubs to play other than Troy, I was being goofy. Wrubell seems to think BYU will have an 8 or 9 man rotation. That sounds about right for a team that could struggle at times to find some consistency.
      That's true. But at least in playing style this team already looks different than last year's.

Comment

After the next game we can say we would dominate the SWAC. CC is actually D2. They're picked to finish ahead of Westminster in the same conference. It's hard to conclude much from an exhibition, but we do look a lot better in this game against a similar opponent.
        Nope, they are DIII. Not same conference as Westminster

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
          I can confirm that Dastrup is not very good at basketball.
          But KDog said he is going to be one of the best bigs ever at BYU!
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

That's true. But at least in playing style this team already looks different than last year's.
            Agreed. The playing style is different, but I imagine that is mostly due to the absence of Mika, and ultimately, maybe that's a good thing. If they keep up this style of play it's hard to imagine them worse than third place in the WCC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              But KDog said he is going to be one of the best bigs ever at BYU!
              I'm buying Dastrup. Yes, he is not playing well, but it is clear he has the most upside of all the bigs. His timidness and indecisiveness are puzzling. It almost reminds me of Mangum in a way. But the tools are there, as compared to Worthington and Shaw.

Comment

• kinda love Seljaas ability to pull up from 3 and make shots. really missed that last year. thanks, Lee Cummard, for leading the way!
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  kinda love Seljaas ability to pull up from 3 and make shots. really missed that last year. thanks, Lee Cummard, for leading the way!
                  What I like most about Seljaas is his effort on defense. For him, it's clear defense precedes offense. There was a sequence where he showed good skill at moving his feet and positioning himself on the defensive end that directly resulted in a transition 3. It was beautiful to watch.

Comment

• Probably not a great defensive strategy for CC, play a packed 2-3 and hope BYU doesn't make 3's at home, but maybe that was their only chance.

I watched the first half. I might actually like this team. Keep Emery on the bench. Love Child, love Seljaas. Don't mind Worthington playing D and rebounding and letting Childs operate inside and the rest of the team shoot 3's. This team can shoot.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                      Nope, they are DIII. Not same conference as Westminster
                      You're right, my bad, I must have heard wrong during the broadcast of the Westminster game when I thought I heard them say they were in the same conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                        Agreed. The playing style is different, but I imagine that is mostly due to the absence of Mika, and ultimately, maybe that's a good thing. If they keep up this style of play it's hard to imagine them worse than third place in the WCC.
                        we've never been worse than 3rd in the WCC, and it won't happen this year either. Some fans probably don't know we've been 2nd a couple of times. I do think we'll be more consistent and more efficient on both sides. Not sure where the ceiling is, but I'd be surprised if we're not a better team.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                          Probably not a great defensive strategy for CC, play a packed 2-3 and hope BYU doesn't make 3's at home, but maybe that was their only chance.

I watched the first half. I might actually like this team. Keep Emery on the bench. Love Child, love Seljaas. Don't mind Worthington playing D and rebounding and letting Childs operate inside and the rest of the team shoot 3's. This team can shoot.
                          During halftime Dave Rose mentioned in his quick sideline interview that CC plays zone about 90% of the time. They probably didn't have anything else to throw out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                            Probably not a great defensive strategy for CC, play a packed 2-3 and hope BYU doesn't make 3's at home, but maybe that was their only chance.

Yep. And any BYU team that can shoot has a chance to do some damage. Lack of long range reliability has killed us the past two years and made our other problems so much worse. I'm cautiously optimistic that we have a shot at a tourney bid. We'll see how they look now that the games are real.

Comment

we've never been worse than 3rd in the WCC, and it won't happen this year either. Some fans probably don't know we've been 2nd a couple of times. I do think we'll be more consistent and more efficient on both sides. Not sure where the ceiling is, but I'd be surprised if we're not a better team.
                              Yeah, that was a funny post. We would have to be terrible to finish below 3rd place.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I watch every game I can, and haven't missed many in the past ten years. I know what they finished last season, the year before that and the year before that etc. going back to Mountain West days and beyond. I am on record as stating a third place finish again this season sounds about right. I think their ceiling is a first round (play in) game in the tournament. The lack of production at the five will hurt them this season. There is also the potential they could revert to their old ways defensively, but I am inclined to believe that will not happen, not due exclusively to the addition of Schroyer and presence of Cummard, but due to a culture change which seems to be happening.

Beating St. Mary's and Gonzaga is a tough hill to climb, but hopefully they can surprise. I officiate and coach high school basketball. I watch a lot of basketball and have immediate family who played or are playing D1 sports.

Comment

Working...
                                X