Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 BYU hoops........

Don't worry, dudes. This guy is almost back!

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    It sounds like he is gone.

Elijah Bryant will be medically retired. Mika goes pro. Nick Emery is not exactly developing the way we had hoped.

Well, the Dave Rose tenure should still end better than Roger Reid's.
    He is saying the right things for NBA scouts. He wants them to know he has the confidence to play in the NBA and he believes he is ready. But the reality is, if he gets a second round or undrafted grade, his ass will be back. He is expecting to go in to these workouts and do well, he thinks that will raise his stock. I am expecting him to go in to these workouts and be told he needs to develop more range, and learn to defend NBA 4s. He was absolutely abused against UT-Arlington.
    *Banned*

silver linings...
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Elijah Bryant will be medically retired. Mika goes pro. Nick Emery is not exactly developing the way we had hoped.

I'm hoping this turns out like your election and conference realignment predictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    Does this say anything about a possible negative team dynamic right now and doubt about prospects for the team to be better next year?
    Other players have done this in recent years and come back. Tyler Haws and Collinsworth both did it.

There is a date by when he must remove his name from consideration.
    And by putting his name in he can attend pre-draft camps and talk to NBA scouts and teams. If he hires an agent to coordinate this for him he loses his NCAA eligibility. Doing it without hiring an agent would indicate he's leaving his options open but wants to take advantage of what the NBA folks can tell him about his game and what he needs to work on. In these cases usually the college coach acts as his agent. Tyler Haws did this and as a result lost some weight to get quicker, as a result of the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Tyler Haws did this and as a result lost some weight to get quicker, as a result of the advice.
    Any chance Dastrup could follow also declare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Pre-Historic Man

Elijah Bryant will be medically retired.
    Mika goes pro. Nick Emery is not exactly developing the way we had hoped.

EB? Is that speculation or do you have inside information?

Mika? It seems unlikely if his draft grade doesn't improve or sky rocket. And that seems unlikely because he is not athletic by NBA standards.

Emery? Maybe he will retire too.

Rose would go down in flames if all those things happen.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Any chance Dastrup could follow also declare?

No, but Luke Worthington will.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Serious question, who makes the most layups in 30 seconds? Funk (not talking about his posts) or Worthington? I think they both miss a couple. It would
    Be close

*Banned*

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Serious question, who makes the most layups in 30 seconds? Funk (not talking about his posts) or Worthington? I think they both miss a couple. It would
    Be close

Funk. Quicker hands.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Be close...
    I'd pay to attend and observe. I'd like to see Funk put one in and then run past Luke, as Luke did to Karnowski.
    Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 03-22-2017 at 05:23 PM.

Be close

Reminds me of one of the halftime contests this past weekend at the NCAA games. They had a student from st Mary's and Arizona compete. 30 seconds to score as many points with layups worth 1, Free throws 2, 3-point 5, and half court 10. The St Mary's student went first. He made his first couple shots and went cold. Ended up with 11. The Arizona student was in the band. I figured he would easily cover the 11 points until he attempted his first layup. I can't remember seeing something so awkward and uncoordinated. He was lucky to hit the rim with his layups. Jump shots didn't come close. After 25 seconds by some miracle he had made 2 layups and had 2 points. Everyone figures it's over. He was able to dribble to the half court without tripping over his feet. He throws up a contorted shot that swishes in. 10 points. Wins by 1. Part of me thinks he was sandbagging the whole time.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

And what becomes of the GHG? Is he cast aside like the red-headed stepchild??

A foundation built upon the sand, my friends.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Reminds me of one of the halftime contests this past weekend at the NCAA games. They had a student from st Mary's and Arizona compete. 30 seconds to score as many points with layups worth 1, Free throws 2, 3-point 5, and half court 10. The St Mary's student went first. He made his first couple shots and went cold. Ended up with 11. The Arizona student was in the band. I figured he would easily cover the 11 points until he attempted his first layup. I can't remember seeing something so awkward and uncoordinated. He was lucky to hit the rim with his layups. Jump shots didn't come close. After 25 seconds by some miracle he had made 2 layups and had 2 points. Everyone figures it's over. He was able to dribble to the half court without tripping over his feet. He throws up a contorted shot that swishes in. 10 points. Wins by 1. Part of me thinks he was sandbagging the whole time.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

He is saying the right things for NBA scouts. He wants them to know he has the confidence to play in the NBA and he believes he is ready. But the reality is, if he gets a second round or undrafted grade, his ass will be back. He is expecting to go in to these workouts and do well, he thinks that will raise his stock. I am expecting him to go in to these workouts and be told he needs to develop more range, and learn to defend NBA 4s. He was absolutely abused against UT-Arlington.
    First hand knowledge supports this analysis.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    First hand knowledge supports this analysis.
    It is the most rational approach, despite what we learn on CB.

If I were an NBA scout, I would tell Mika to quit holding the dang ball down low by his belly, where guards can swipe at it and where you can't easily pass it. One of the reasons Mika sucks so bad at passing out of the post is because it's hard to pass the ball when you're holding it down by your effing nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    It is the most rational approach, despite what we learn on CB.
    Cougarboard is the opposite of learning anything. It's where you go to get dumber without getting drunk.
    Last edited by BlueK; 03-23-2017 at 02:08 PM.

part of me wonders if the high volume post/inside-out game was never comfortable for our guards this year.

part of me wonders if the high volume post/inside-out game was never comfortable for our guards this year.
    No doubt. The perimeter game suffered with the inside out/post focus. If Mika doesn't pull his name out I fully expect the team to still win 20+ games as they go back to what we saw last year with KC, Nick and Fisch except with Bryant, Nick and TJ.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Welcome back Zac Seljaas!

Bring on the snide conspiratorial whinings of aggies and ALUF's about BYU bringing him home early from his mission.
    Last edited by BlueK; 03-30-2017 at 11:03 AM.

I still haven't seen anyone report if his shoulder surgery is on his shooting arm or not. Isn't that kind of important?

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I still haven't seen anyone report if his shoulder surgery is on his shooting arm or not. Isn't that kind of important?
    Sure, if it doesn't heal right or the surgery wasn't able to fix whatever was wrong with it.

Bring on the snide conspiratorial whinings of aggies and ALUF's about BYU bringing him home early from his mission.
    Cha-ching.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Cha-ching.

So predictable. Seriously, anyone who would whine about that is pathetic.

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Cha-ching.

Harry Palmdale!

Gotta be something about serving in Iowa. Must be a pretty tough mission.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    According to Rose, no surgery at this point. Just rehab.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    No doubt. The perimeter game suffered with the inside out/post focus. If Mika doesn't pull his name out I fully expect the team to still win 20+ games as they go back to what we saw last year with KC, Nick and Fisch except with Bryant, Nick and TJ.
    BYU's offensive ranking by Ken Pomeroy year by year since 2012:

2012: 111
    2013: 50
    2014: 31
    2015: 10
    2016: 48
    2017: 87

Curiously perhaps, the two worst BY FAR offensive teams in the post-Jimmer era have been on our two teams with the strongest inside presence -- 2012 with Davies and Hartsock, and this year with Mika and Childs. Most of the other years have had notoriously weak/thin inside talent. BYU just does better with guard-focused offenses. Actually, I recently read this is true for most college teams. No one would argue Mika wouldn't be a loss. But it would be best to change up the offense even if he comes back. An open shot from outside is probably better than a contested turn-around, fading, mid range shot by one of the bigs.
    Last edited by BlueK; 04-07-2017 at 11:06 AM.