No announcement yet.

2017-2018 BYU hoops........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So apparently Dave Rose in a radio interview yesterday expressed some optimism about the upcoming season.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
      So apparently Dave Rose in a radio interview yesterday expressed some optimism about the upcoming season.
      You mean the Mekeli Wesley interview on Criddle's show?

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
        So apparently Dave Rose in a radio interview yesterday expressed some optimism about the upcoming season.
        Optimism is good coming from a coach in the offseason. I'd be really worried if he said we were going to stink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
          You mean the Mekeli Wesley interview on Criddle's show?
          Yeah, I guess so. I didn't hear it, but I guess it was Wesley relating what Rose said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            Optimism is good coming from a coach in the offseason. I'd be really worried if he said we were going to stink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I actually remember Rose saying things last year to temper expectations based on the lack of experience of the team as a whole. The pitchfork crowd on cougarboard of course won't/chooses not to remember that. Now they're angry he dares to say something positive in private to a former player. It wasn't even a public statement, but they're up in arms. Morons. I actually think they'll have a decent year with the new players adding an element of athleticism we didn't have last year. I think Childs and Haws will also improve their games noticeably.
            Last edited by BlueK; 09-20-2017, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• I have a few concerns. In the last few years BYU has run around 60 set plays and actions in its play book. Of those about 5 with three variables each have been on inbound plays. The new coaching staff is looking to slow the tempo and run into a continuity offense. This will look like St Mary's for those who like their offense but it is a major departure from the Dave Rose teams of the past. We will need to penetrate the ball off the bounce or we will be in big trouble. In other words, we are trading 45 plays for one play.

The other major concern is BYU seems to be going away from positions. Nick, Eli, Teej, and Jahshire will all start the offense. We will also see lots of 5 out no low stuff and two man actions in the motion based continuity offense. This could mean lots of bigs shooting and guards fighting for the ball and shots. I hope not. I like our players but I'm looking forward to seeing the coaches overcoming these issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                I have a few concerns. In the last few years BYU has run around 60 set plays and actions in its play book. Of those about 5 with three variables each have been on inbound plays. The new coaching staff is looking to slow the tempo and run into a continuity offense. This will look like St Mary's for those who like their offense but it is a major departure from the Dave Rose teams of the past. We will need to penetrate the ball off the bounce or we will be in big trouble. In other words, we are trading 45 plays for one play.

The other major concern is BYU seems to be going away from positions. Nick, Eli, Teej, and Jahshire will all start the offense. We will also see lots of 5 out no low stuff and two man actions in the motion based continuity offense. This could mean lots of bigs shooting and guards fighting for the ball and shots. I hope not. I like our players but I'm looking forward to seeing the coaches overcoming these issues.
                The transition to a new system could be bumpy as well.
                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                  The transition to a new system could be bumpy as well.
                  True. Hopefully the return to an effort based focus will help. I'm worried about penetration. Continuity based offenses need you to penetrate the ball.

Comment

True. Hopefully the return to an effort based focus will help. I'm worried about penetration. Continuity based offenses need you to penetrate the ball.
                    That requires two skills, off the ball movement and the ability to dribble drive. The latter not being a strength of BYU historically.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I'm worried about penetration.
                      It definitely impacted the 2011 tournament run.
                      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                          lol. Probably all BYU coaches' biggest concern.
                          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Another point I forgot to mention. Our defensive philosophy has changed considerably. Should help our ability to contest 3s. It will give us trouble against major programs but very few people on the schedule.

Comment

Another point I forgot to mention. Our defensive philosophy has changed considerably. Should help our ability to contest 3s. It will give us trouble against major programs but very few people on the schedule.
                              How has it changed?

How will it hurt us against major programs?

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                                How has it changed?

How will it hurt us against major programs?
                                It is less focused on preventing penetration and more focused on closing out the three pointer. Even if you have athletes, you have to give up something on D. Last year we ran two defenses, the first for major teams and Gonzaga, the second for our conference foes not named Gonzaga. The players struggled to transition to the second D and we gave up a lot of looks. We are going farther along the spectrum found in the second D we ran and helping less on dribble penetration.

Comment

Working...
                                X