No announcement yet.

2017-2018 BYU hoops........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The addition of Schroyer turned out to be a mixed bag. Our defense did get a little better, but not drastically better when all was said and done. And the offense got less efficient probably in large part due to trading off being more aggressive on the offensive glass in return for getting back faster on defense. They have to figure out how to make the offense better next year without sacrificing much on the defensive end. One good thing I think is that the players individually do have better habits and awareness on defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
      The addition of Schroyer turned out to be a mixed bag. Our defense did get a little better, but not drastically better when all was said and done. And the offense got less efficient probably in large part due to trading off being more aggressive on the offensive glass in return for getting back faster on defense. They have to figure out how to make the offense better next year without sacrificing much on the defensive end. One good thing I think is that the players individually do have better habits and awareness on defense.
      I think there are some legitimate reasons for optimism on offense. With an entire year of seeing Seljaas and Hardnett I am convinced BYU's best 5 will be TJ, Emery, Bryant, Childs and Worthington. I agree with those who think TJ is a better player with the ball in his hands more so I think he will respond well to a situation where Emery's return will allow him to play more with the ball in his hands while Bryant and Emery play off the ball. If Emery has all of his personal issues behind him I think he could be much improved and provide BYU a legitimate consistent 3rd scorer in option who averages double digit points. There could be some issues with him having to let Childs and Bryant be in the spotlight but he should be much more mature and they have proven themselves without much reason to question. TJ can then only be called upon to get 8 ppg to keep teams honest. The other issue facing BYU is whether or not Dastrup can develop which I am expecting him not to do. But if he does then BYU could be legitimately good next year. BYU should return a grundle of experienced players in a top 10 of:

1.) TJ, Hardnett
      2.) Emery, Cannon
      3.) Bryant, Seljaas
      4.) Childs, Nixon
      5.) Worthington, Dastrup

That is 7 guys with starting experience and two more with significant minutes off the bench + Dastrup who wandered between no time and significant minutes off the bench. I think the team should be as good as the pre-Jimmer upperclass BYU teams were and if Dastrup develops and Seljaas rediscovers how to shoot 3's/finds a comfortable role in the offense like he was as a freshman I think they could be good enough to win a game in the tournament. Having to play Worthington 20 mpg is a huge hole to cover so if Dastrup can deliver and knock that down to 10 mpg it would bode will for BYU.

Having good shooters and a consistent offense should help the defense. Emery had developed into a decent on the ball defender his sophomore year and TJ improved significantly last year. With those two and Bryant we should be adequate on the perimeter. I also think other than Dastrup the post guys are fine as well. BYU hoops has a limit but this should be a good BYU team as they are coming at it with two rebuilding years worth of experience. They all are healthy at this point and been around a long time. I think they should hover around the top 25 rankings, secure an NCAA bid before the WCC tourney and be a legitimate threat to get to the round of 32.
      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
        I think there are some legitimate reasons for optimism on offense. With an entire year of seeing Seljaas and Hardnett I am convinced BYU's best 5 will be TJ, Emery, Bryant, Childs and Worthington. I agree with those who think TJ is a better player with the ball in his hands more so I think he will respond well to a situation where Emery's return will allow him to play more with the ball in his hands while Bryant and Emery play off the ball. If Emery has all of his personal issues behind him I think he could be much improved and provide BYU a legitimate consistent 3rd scorer in option who averages double digit points. There could be some issues with him having to let Childs and Bryant be in the spotlight but he should be much more mature and they have proven themselves without much reason to question. TJ can then only be called upon to get 8 ppg to keep teams honest. The other issue facing BYU is whether or not Dastrup can develop which I am expecting him not to do. But if he does then BYU could be legitimately good next year. BYU should return a grundle of experienced players in a top 10 of:

1.) TJ, Hardnett
        2.) Emery, Cannon
        3.) Bryant, Seljaas
        4.) Childs, Nixon
        5.) Worthington, Dastrup

That is 7 guys with starting experience and two more with significant minutes off the bench + Dastrup who wandered between no time and significant minutes off the bench. I think the team should be as good as the pre-Jimmer upperclass BYU teams were and if Dastrup develops and Seljaas rediscovers how to shoot 3's/finds a comfortable role in the offense like he was as a freshman I think they could be good enough to win a game in the tournament. Having to play Worthington 20 mpg is a huge hole to cover so if Dastrup can deliver and knock that down to 10 mpg it would bode will for BYU.

Having good shooters and a consistent offense should help the defense. Emery had developed into a decent on the ball defender his sophomore year and TJ improved significantly last year. With those two and Bryant we should be adequate on the perimeter. I also think other than Dastrup the post guys are fine as well. BYU hoops has a limit but this should be a good BYU team as they are coming at it with two rebuilding years worth of experience. They all are healthy at this point and been around a long time. I think they should hover around the top 25 rankings, secure an NCAA bid before the WCC tourney and be a legitimate threat to get to the round of 32.
        Those are lofty aspirations. I think a round of 32 visit will largely depend upon how well they do in the NIT this year. If they lose their first game, I'm not convinced they fair any better next season than they did this season. If they play in the NIT like they believe they belong there, and that it is an opportunity to build for next season then I'm all in with your prognostication. Their NIT performance should tell us a lot.

Worthington should not be getting the minutes he gets. Dastrup's upside is far greater and he should be given those minutes, while Worthington splits time with another young big in the system. We know what Worthington is. There's no guess work, so you can sit him and plug him I'm when and where needed. We don't quite know what Dastrup is, but he showed enough at times to merit boosting his confidence by throwing him into the starting line-up.

Haws impressed with his willingness to get better on the defensive end of the floor. I'm OK with the ball in his hands. If Rose stays with this current defensive and offensive philosophy, it will be interesting to see how Emery adjusts—I think he could struggle as much as Haws and Seljas did, so I would prefer to see him come off the bench.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
          Those are lofty aspirations. I think a round of 32 visit will largely depend upon how well they do in the NIT this year. If they lose their first game, I'm not convinced they fair any better next season than they did this season. If they play in the NIT like they believe they belong there, and that it is an opportunity to build for next season then I'm all in with your prognostication. Their NIT performance should tell us a lot.

Worthington should not be getting the minutes he gets. Dastrup's upside is far greater and he should be given those minutes, while Worthington splits time with another young big in the system. We know what Worthington is. There's no guess work, so you can sit him and plug him I'm when and where needed. We don't quite know what Dastrup is, but he showed enough at times to merit boosting his confidence by throwing him into the starting line-up.

Haws impressed with his willingness to get better on the defensive end of the floor. I'm OK with the ball in his hands. If Rose stays with this current defensive and offensive philosophy, it will be interesting to see how Emery adjusts—I think he could struggle as much as Haws and Seljas did, so I would prefer to see him come off the bench.
          We just haven't seen a cohesive unit come back in a really long time and forgotten what that does to improve a program year to year. I'm excited about the prospect of having 8-9 guys back + adding some talent instead of the only 4-5 we've had every year for the last 5 years. I agree that how we play in the NIT can make a difference in helping the team come along mentally, and carrying the attitude into next year.

Comment

• Anyone going to the game tonight?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              Anyone going to the game tonight?

courtside
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                courtside
                Pics or it didn't happen.

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                  Pics or it didn't happen.

ok.
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Looked really good in the first half and are looking terrible in the 2nd (3rd quarter)

Comment

• Luke missing 1 footers, seljaas missing wide open threes

stanford banking in 3's.

Just not our night

Comment

• Childs looks/playing like he believes he is gone. Problem is he is not going to get drafted. His only chance is to stay in school and play at least one more season, but who in his life is going to be that honest with him?

Comment

• I thought I would defend officials more as I got more experience, but I'm starting to think most college basketball officials aren't very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                            I thought I would defend officials more as I got more experience, but I'm starting to think most college basketball officials aren't very good.
                            The officials last night in the UCLA v St Bonaventure were awful, just awful.

Comment

• Stanford is not that good and we are making them look incredible. The effort/intensity by Yoeli and Dastrup has been really disappointing this half.

Comment

• WGAF? Seriously, nobody cares about the NIT.
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X