Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 BYU hoops........

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I'm at work late so I have the post game show on and Dave Rose is getting a little sassy about the officials. Not enough to worry about the league getting upset, but he talked about the frustrating way they call offensive fouls and also said Saint Mary's "never fouls" very sarcastically. I like it.
    Man, you are at work late. Go home.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Man, you are at work late. Go home.
    There's a project delivery crunch right now and then an RFP for a large transit project for which I'm supposed to be our bridge lead dropped early somewhat unexpectedly yesterday. It's times like these that I think I've made some really poor career choices.

One game at a time. This USF game was a harder one than the casual fan might appreciate. They are just outside of the top 100, so a team we easily could have lost to on a bad night. Glad to see us tough it out and get the win. This really looked like a game to me that last year's team would have lost once USF went up by 2 by about 5 or 6 minutes left to go, or whenever it was. San Diego is the other team besides St. Zaga who is worrisome. The rest I think this team is going to sweep this year.

Probably shouldn't be down 5 to Pacific with 4 minutes to go in the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Probably shouldn't be down 5 to Pacific with 4 minutes to go in the first half.
    Also, probably not a good idea to be down 7 to Pacific at halftime.

Dear Mr WCC official: a jump stop into two steps is not legal.

foul. foul. foul. foul. foul. foul. foul. foul. foul.

I need a DH ruling on the length of Damon Stoudemire's tie.

Our offense is generating nothing. Some high screens and nothing.

Yoeli has seemed lost at both ends tonight.

Yoeli has seemed lost at both ends tonight.
    TJ seems lost at both ends all season. He is on pace to be outscored by Luke Worthington in back to back games. The Lone Peak 0 is my new nickname for him.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Same old same old.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Eli will save us.

Dammit. What the he'll was Jashire doing?

LOL. We lost to Pacific. That is super awesome.

Ugh. Terrible loss. I blame the Lone Peak 0 100%. He is effing awful.

And BYU loses to a 196 RPI team. Classic.

There’s been a lot of talk that BYU is better defensively than it was last year. This isn’t true. I was worried about the continuity offense. It isn’t working. Some of our best scorers can’t get shots they can hit in this offense. The continuity offense has killed TJ and Seljaas on offense. I like Schroyer but the two major things he did aren’t any better than where we were last year. Mika and Nick being gone is hurting us too. We are young. No multi year starters at the start of the season. We aren’t worse than last year but we also aren’t better. We need to play better D and we need to score in transition more this tempo sucks.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Ugh. Terrible loss. I blame the Lone Peak 0 100%. He is effing awful.
    Yeah, bust would be a polite way to describe the LP3.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

After blowing the wide open game winner against smc, it would have been nice for Zac to have that game winner count last night. As it is I am pretty depressed that our days of losing to teams like Pacific are not behind us.

Pre-Historic Man

After blowing the wide open game winner against smc, it would have been nice for Zac to have that game winner count last night. As it is I am pretty depressed that our days of losing to teams like Pacific are not behind us.
    Yeah. BYU's bball team has sunk fairly low. The talent just isn't there and might not be there for a long time.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Yeah. BYU's bball team has sunk fairly low. The talent just isn't there and might not be there for a long time.
    Last night wasn't about talent.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Last night wasn't about talent.
    Pacific looked more skilled, player for player.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Pacific looked more skilled, player for player.
    Then why have they lost so many more games? It's not that simple.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Then why have they lost so many more games? It's not that simple.
    BYU is better-coached.

BYU is better-coached.
    We do need better talent and depth. It would also be nice to finally have a few years without massive year to year turnover. Maybe with no seniors right now, next year is that year. I think we've really been hurt by replacing about 7-10 players every year for the last 3 or 4 years.
    Last edited by BlueK; 01-08-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    We do need better talent and depth. It would also be nice to finally have a few years without massive year to year turnover. Maybe with no seniors right now, next year is that year. I think we've really been hurt by replacing about 7-10 players every year for the last 3 or 4 years.
    Also doesn't help to have Nixon out. His energy might have made the difference in that lethargic performance.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Also doesn't help to have Nixon out. His energy might have made the difference in that lethargic performance.
    Nixon could have made a difference in both of those losses, I agree, but all teams deal with injuries.

Nixon could have made a difference in both of those losses, I agree, but all teams deal with injuries.
    except that as fans we tend to only afford that excuse to our opponents. We beat Utah because they had a couple of guys out...

Teams have up and down nights, especially young teams. We're still better than last year, and the record by the end of the season will reflect that. Unfortunately it's likely not as much progress as we wanted right away, I guess. It's also proving to be more difficult to win the WCC than it was the MWC, probably because the MWC never had anyone as consistently good as Gonzaga.
    Last edited by BlueK; 01-08-2018 at 09:45 AM.