Originally posted by BlueK View Post
    BYU's offensive ranking by Ken Pomeroy year by year since 2012:

2012: 111
    2013: 50
    2014: 31
    2015: 10
    2016: 48
    2017: 87

Curiously perhaps, the two worst BY FAR offensive teams in the post-Jimmer era have been on our two teams with the strongest inside presence -- 2012 with Davies and Hartsock, and this year with Mika and Childs. Most of the other years have had notoriously weak/thin inside talent. BYU just does better with guard-focused offenses. Actually, I recently read this is true for most college teams. No one would argue Mika wouldn't be a loss. But it would be best to change up the offense even if he comes back. An open shot from outside is probably better than a contested turn-around, fading, mid range shot by one of the bigs.
    Conceivably, a dominant big can free up a lot of open looks on the perimeter, but Mika struggles pretty badly with the ability to recognize or adapt to where the double team is coming from. St Mary's sent the double from the weak side as soon as Eric put the ball on the floor, and he didn't pick up on it for an entire half. That type of tunnel vision kills any kind of fluid ball movement, and guys tend to stand around instead of cutting or adjusting their spacing to an open lane. BYU tried to implement a little high/low dump to Yo late it the year, but you could tell they never got really comfortable with it. Think back to the type of ball movement the early Duncan Spurs teams had with him either at the high post or moving the ball inside-out. It can be done, but I'm not sure it can be done with Mika.

Comment

Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
      Conceivably, a dominant big can free up a lot of open looks on the perimeter, but Mika struggles pretty badly with the ability to recognize or adapt to where the double team is coming from. St Mary's sent the double from the weak side as soon as Eric put the ball on the floor, and he didn't pick up on it for an entire half. That type of tunnel vision kills any kind of fluid ball movement, and guys tend to stand around instead of cutting or adjusting their spacing to an open lane. BYU tried to implement a little high/low dump to Yo late it the year, but you could tell they never got really comfortable with it. Think back to the type of ball movement the early Duncan Spurs teams had with him either at the high post or moving the ball inside-out. It can be done, but I'm not sure it can be done with Mika.
      He struggled with passing all year. They worked on the high low starting early because of Davis' skills but the younger guys had trouble reading and reacting.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
        He struggled with passing all year. They worked on the high low starting early because of Davis' skills but the younger guys had trouble reading and reacting.
        Can't pass when you're holding the ball down by your nuts.

Comment

I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen Davis pass out of the post...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen Davis pass out of the post...

If you are not double teamed, they shouldn't pass out of the post. They should take their man one on one and try to score. No reason for our big men as skilled as they are, to not attack down low. With that being said when the double comes (which they didn't always see) they should find the open shooter.
            *Banned*

Comment

In other news; looks like Guinn, Aytes, and Kaufusi have all been shown the door.

That opens up 4 scholarships with the Davis and LJ graduating. (Kaufusi was on football schollie I believe)

I would expect the 4 go to:

Seljaas
              Andrus
              Nixon
              Late Signee (preferably a point guard)

If Harding stays I don't think we sign anyone or Andrus finishes his career at UVU. I am also not sure we have a spot for Luke when he gets back.
              Last edited by cougjunkie; 04-13-2017, 08:49 AM.
              *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                In other news; looks like Guinn, Aytes, and Kaufusi have all been shown the door.

That opens up 4 scholarships with the Davis and LJ graduating. (Kaufusi was on football schollie I believe)

I would expect the 4 go to:

Seljaas
                Andrus
                Nixon
                Late Signee (preferably a point guard)

If Harding stays I don't think we sign anyone or Andrus finishes his career at UVU. I am also not sure we have a spot for Luke when he gets back.
                Aytes and Guinn are graduating from school as of June. Guinn I read is going to pursue a JD/MBA. He was supposed to be a walkon anyway. Aytes is also getting his degree in June, and basketball at the next level isn't realistic, so it makes sense for him to move on as well. Kaufusi was probably even better than expected last year on the football team, so like his brother, it makes sense for him to go football only. And yes, he was on football scholarship, per NCAA rules around multi-sport scholarship athletes: the sport played earliest in the school year is the one that gets charged the scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                  Aytes and Guinn are graduating from school as of June. Guinn I read is going to pursue a JD/MBA. He was supposed to be a walkon anyway. Aytes is also getting his degree in June, and basketball at the next level isn't realistic, so it makes sense for him to move on as well. Kaufusi was probably even better than expected last year on the football team, so like his brother, it makes sense for him to go football only. And yes, he was on football scholarship, per NCAA rules around multi-sport scholarship athletes: the sport played earliest in the school year is the one that gets charged the scholarship.
                  Guinn is going to law school so my guess is the Chatman rule applies. He was on schollie last year per Jay Drew.
                  *Banned*

Comment

Guinn is going to law school so my guess is the Chatman rule applies. He was on schollie last year per Jay Drew.
                    Correct, Guinn was on a scholarship. But what I meant was that he originally wasn't and wouldn't have been last year either. He (and Beo) got scholarships last year after other players unexpectedly transferred out. There is the popular narrative out there that Rose pushed everyone out that transferred, but that only applies to Neilson.

Comment

Is Kaufusi getting the boot or deciding to focus on football? Or is Dave Rose deciding that Kaufusi should focus on football?

That loss stings, if only because how much the Zags fans loathe Kaufusi.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        Is Kaufusi getting the boot or deciding to focus on football? Or is Dave Rose deciding that Kaufusi should focus on football?

That loss stings, if only because how much the Zags fans loathe Kaufusi.
                        Kaufusi is on football scholarship, but I think Rose talked to him about his role a bit moving forward. I know they have a formal meeting this week. But it sounds like Corbin wants to focus on football and make a run at the NFL.
                        *Banned*

Comment

Nashif fired.

*Banned*

Comment

Nashif fired.

Whoa. That ought to make Moliere happy.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I should clarify, BYU is letting him save face. He is "pursuing other business interests".
                              *Banned*

Comment

I'll admit I'm not a Nashif super fan, but I really don't know enough to decide if he's a good coach or not. But hey, Rose needed to fire someone so why not Nashif

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X