2017-2018 BYU hoops........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017-2018 BYU hoops........

We get to start with my favorite subject.....if I stay there will be trouble...if I go it will be double! - Mostly because I will then nail a bunch of 3's against BYU and the stringpulling catch cola shrilling faithful will whine.

As I understand it here are the players (16) who BYU has recruited and offered scholarships to who might be at BYU next year:

Seniors (2) - Jamal Aytes and Davin Guinn
    Juniors (5) - Worthington, Emery, Mika, Bryant, Shaw
    Sophomores (7) - Seljaas, Andrus, Nixon, Haws, Beo, Childs, Dastrup
    Freshman (2) - Popoola, Connor Harding

That is 16 potential scholarships when 13 is allowed. Clearly I think it safe to assume that Popoola has moved on and that Worthington will not be back on scholarship. However, that leaves one more to go and my thinking is Dalton Nixon is the one who will either be a walk on or the guy that will hit 7 3 pointers for UVU or Utah State when BYU plays UVU and Claw will whine like Topper and the women of Srbrnca about what a miss he was.

So taking those 3 away here is who plays:

Haws, Bryant, Seljaas, Emery, Harding, Mika, Childs, Dastrup (heaven knows I hope he comes the long freaking way he has to go) with a little Aytes, Andrus and Beo or Guinn depending on needs. To be honest I hope Beo redshirts next year just as I had hoped Dastrup would redshirt this past year. It would break up that class from having 7 guys on scholarship but who knows. Nobody listens to Goatnappper is what I have learned.

If everybody ends up being as good as they were regarded out of HS that will be a pretty good team. Well everybody except Elijah Bryant he wasn't very highly touted.

3 (Harding, Seljaas and Bryant) of your top 8 facing injuries right now and another (Uhhhhhh Dastrup) needs to pretty much crawl into a chrysalis and climb out a much more svelte and limber version of himself lest he be remembered for not knowing the difference between canoeing and rowing.

Prepare to be disappointed!
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

What's the deal with Popoola moving on? Just a greener pastures sorta thing?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
      We get to start with my favorite subject.....if I stay there will be trouble...if I go it will be double! - Mostly because I will then nail a bunch of 3's against BYU and the stringpulling catch cola shrilling faithful will whine.

As I understand it here are the players (16) who BYU has recruited and offered scholarships to who might be at BYU next year:

Seniors (2) - Jamal Aytes and Davin Guinn
      Juniors (5) - Worthington, Emery, Mika, Bryant, Shaw
      Sophomores (7) - Seljaas, Andrus, Nixon, Haws, Beo, Childs, Dastrup
      Freshman (2) - Popoola, Connor Harding

That is 16 potential scholarships when 13 is allowed. Clearly I think it safe to assume that Popoola has moved on and that Worthington will not be back on scholarship. However, that leaves one more to go and my thinking is Dalton Nixon is the one who will either be a walk on or the guy that will hit 7 3 pointers for UVU or Utah State when BYU plays UVU and Claw will whine like Topper and the women of Srbrnca about what a miss he was.

So taking those 3 away here is who plays:

Haws, Bryant, Seljaas, Emery, Harding, Mika, Childs, Dastrup (heaven knows I hope he comes the long freaking way he has to go) with a little Aytes, Andrus and Beo or Guinn depending on needs. To be honest I hope Beo redshirts next year just as I had hoped Dastrup would redshirt this past year. It would break up that class from having 7 guys on scholarship but who knows. Nobody listens to Goatnappper is what I have learned.

If everybody ends up being as good as they were regarded out of HS that will be a pretty good team. Well everybody except Elijah Bryant he wasn't very highly touted.

3 (Harding, Seljaas and Bryant) of your top 8 facing injuries right now and another (Uhhhhhh Dastrup) needs to pretty much crawl into a chrysalis and climb out a much more svelte and limber version of himself lest he be remembered for not knowing the difference between canoeing and rowing.

Prepare to be disappointed!
      I think this team with Seljaas and Harding is better built for next season.

Seljaas shot 50% from the three as a freshman, on 136 attempts. Teams were able to pack the paint against BYU this year. Go back and watch that St. Marys game, they had 5 games with 1 foot in the paint, daring BYU to shoot the three. Having Seljaas, Harding and if Emery accepts his role as a spot up shooter, that will not only give Mika more space, but when teams do decide to double, it should give our shooters open looks.

I think the schollie casuaties are going to be Aytes (played 1/2 year at UNLV, sat a year at BYU, and is going to be a senior, he should be graduated by now. So he can transfer without penalty), Guinn, and/or Shaw.

I expect Dave Rose to hit the jc/transfer scene, I hope he can find another Lamont Morgan or Rashaun Broadus who can back up TJ and come in off the bench to run the offense.

I also wouldn't mind seeing either Emery or Bryant with the 2nd unit next year. Give us some scoring off the bench.
      *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        What's the deal with Popoola moving on? Just a greener pastures sorta thing?
        His dad was mad he committed so early, so he told BYU he wanted to wait to sign. Then he kind of blew up, and has about 20 offers now.
        *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
          I think this team with Seljaas and Harding is better built for next season.

Seljaas shot 50% from the three as a freshman, on 136 attempts. Teams were able to pack the paint against BYU this year. Go back and watch that St. Marys game, they had 5 games with 1 foot in the paint, daring BYU to shoot the three. Having Seljaas, Harding and if Emery accepts his role as a spot up shooter, that will not only give Mika more space, but when teams do decide to double, it should give our shooters open looks.

I think the schollie casuaties are going to be Aytes (played 1/2 year at UNLV, sat a year at BYU, and is going to be a senior, he should be graduated by now. So he can transfer without penalty), Guinn, and/or Shaw.

I expect Dave Rose to hit the jc/transfer scene, I hope he can find another Lamont Morgan or Rashaun Broadus who can back up TJ and come in off the bench to run the offense.

I also wouldn't mind seeing either Emery or Bryant with the 2nd unit next year. Give us some scoring off the bench.
          I think they keep Shaw as an insurance. If Dastrup develops and Kaufusi returns he would not be needed but those two are big ifs. You know what you get with Shaw and it is good enough for a back up and that is always good to have around. I don't know who else goes away but if BYU can also land a JC PG like you mention that would be a good thing and there is are plenty of options of guys to send packing should the need arise.

Consider me skeptical they can find a JC PG that is worth it this late in the game. We shall see.
          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
          -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
          -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
            I think they keep Shaw as an insurance. If Dastrup develops and Kaufusi returns he would not be needed but those two are big ifs. You know what you get with Shaw and it is good enough for a back up and that is always good to have around. I don't know who else goes away but if BYU can also land a JC PG like you mention that would be a good thing and there is are plenty of options of guys to send packing should the need arise.

Consider me skeptical they can find a JC PG that is worth it this late in the game. We shall see.
            There may also be a sr transfer available like LJ Rose this year.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
              There may also be a sr transfer available like LJ Rose this year.
              Marcus Keene
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                Marcus Keene
                He declared for the draft last week.
                *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                  He declared for the draft last week.
                  well, shit.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

Re: Shaw, does anyone else thing Shaw is better than what we saw out of Andrus pre-mission?
                    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                      Re: Shaw, does anyone else thing Shaw is better than what we saw out of Andrus pre-mission?
                      probably similar. I think the beginning of the year, Shaw showed flashes. He regressed as the year went on. Andrus allegedly has range. Which might be a better fit in this offense to bring another big out of the paint against Mika.
                      *Banned*

Comment

I think Andrus that year was better than Shaw this year.

Comment

Any word on Bryant's outlook for next season. I think he could be big factor to the season.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                            Any word on Bryant's outlook for next season. I think he could be big factor to the season.
                            I said this in another thread, but Ben Criddle stated that he thinks Bryant's injury will never fully heal. Sounds like maybe he's got some badcartilage that isn't going to get better while playing D1 basketball.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

I said this in another thread, but Ben Criddle stated that he thinks Bryant's injury will never fully heal. Sounds like maybe he's got some badcartilage that isn't going to get better while playing D1 basketball.
                              I know the feeling. Tore my ACL after mission and it's never healed properly. Dislocated patella in same knee 10 years later. Multiple surgeries. Still have weakness and pain.

Comment

Working...
                              X