2017-2018 BYU hoops........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    I don't know for sure and one very legitimate reason might be BYU is not that great.

I also thought I heard that BYU had already had a practice earlier in the afternoon. If that is true that really explains why BYU was so lethargic in the second half. Let us recall that with about 5 minutes to go until half BYU was up 32-10. Up to that point BYU had been efficient, and never hurried, on offense and had played very rugged team man-man defense. There was a lot in that 15 minutes to get excited about.

Lots of kids played that will likely not see many minutes in meaningful games. They did so when BYU already had gotten a huge early lead that Westminster just chipped away at.

I guess what I am saying is that game gave everyone evidence of what they are looking for. If you want to find evidence that this team is better and perhaps even good then I think it was there. If you want to believe we will be what we have been the past two years that was there as well.

My optimistic opinion is that things are getting better. I think that when the dust settles the addition of Schroyer might be the best addition. Competition has stunk when I watched and I am an optimist but I really think there is more structure and organization on both sides of the court.
    I watched the game with interest. It's hard to make a conclusive season predicting assessment considering the competition. Based on what I saw, BYU is what it has been the past two years. I think Jashire should be starting, with either Emery or Haws coming off the bench, preferably Emery at this stage.

The five spot is a huge concern. Worthington will be serviceable, outside of him, Shaw will give you a precious few serviceable minutes here and there, hopefully at the most opportune times, while Nixon is clearly a year away from providing any kind of help while Childs is on the bench and something just isn't quite right with Dastrup—it's bizarre.

Seljass will have his moments, but maybe not enough of them to change the complexion of important games this season (and he should cut his hair. That doo is awful). Brown is an athlete that if given specific defensive assignments he could make an impact in the right spots, at certain times, but if BYU has to rely on him for anything other than spot duty they are in real trouble this season.

By nature I am optimistic, but I just can't get too excited about this team. A 3rd place finish in the WCC is as hopeful as I can get.
    Last edited by tooblue; 11-03-2017, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
      I watched the game with interest. It's hard to make a conclusive season predicting assessment considering the competition. Based on what I saw, BYU is what it has been the past two years. I think Jashire should be starting, with either Emery or Haws coming off the bench, preferably Emery at this stage.

The five spot is a huge concern. Worthington will be serviceable, outside of him, Shaw will give you a precious few serviceable minutes here and there, hopefully at the most opportune times, while Nixon is clearly a year away from providing any kind of help while Childs is on the bench and something just isn't quite right with Dastrup—it's bizarre.

Seljass will have his moments, but maybe not enough of them to change the complexion of important games this season (and he should cut his hair. That doo is awful). Brown is an athlete that if given specific defensive assignments he could make an impact in the right spots, at certain times, but if BYU has to rely on him for anything other than spot duty they are in real trouble this season.

By nature I am optimistic, but I just can't get too excited about this team. A 3rd place finish in the WCC is as hopeful as I can get.
      I'm okay with third in the WCC this year. I'm not okay with losses to any conference foe not named Gonzaga or St. Mary's. It would be awesome to win a game or two against GU and SMC or at least be competitive in all four contests.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• There is room for three NCAA bids from the WCC, IMO. If BYU can snag at least one of the 4 games against SMC/GU and avoid bad losses to other WCC teams (especially at home), and then snag a victory against either Utah and/or Alabama and/or UMass, they have a shot. Princeton at Princeton would be a great win, but I just don't see that happening this early in the season.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          There is room for three NCAA bids from the WCC, IMO. If BYU can snag at least one of the 4 games against SMC/GU and avoid bad losses to other WCC teams (especially at home), and then snag a victory against either Utah and/or Alabama and/or UMass, they have a shot. Princeton at Princeton would be a great win, but I just don't see that happening this early in the season.
          I agree with all of your conclusions, but the early returns portend it won't happen this year.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Princeton at Princeton would be a great win, but I just don't see that happening this early in the season.
            Don't worry I will be in attendance. BYU football has a piss poor record when I travel to see a game, but I seem to have the opposite effect on BYU basketball (NIT semifinal two years ago notwithstanding).

Comment

There is room for three NCAA bids from the WCC, IMO. If BYU can snag at least one of the 4 games against SMC/GU and avoid bad losses to other WCC teams (especially at home), and then snag a victory against either Utah and/or Alabama and/or UMass, they have a shot. Princeton at Princeton would be a great win, but I just don't see that happening this early in the season.
              FWIW, Ken Pomeroy has us at #72 and Princeton at #88. Sagarin has us at #57, Princeton at #108. Seems it would be a solid win and doable. But who knows for sure this early obviously.

Comment

• So Emery is out until the NCAA makes a ruling?

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                  So Emery is out until the NCAA makes a ruling?
                  Sounds like it. Or BYU thinks that there's something to worry about, and they're trying to show they're being proactive by benching him in a game where they didn't have to to try to show meekness, humility, and a honest desire to operate within the rules.

Comment

• I can confirm that Dastrup is not very good at basketball.

Comment

• We would dominate DIII hoops.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                        We would dominate DIII hoops.
                        After the next game we can say we would dominate the SWAC. CC is actually D2. They're picked to finish ahead of Westminster in the same conference. It's hard to conclude much from an exhibition, but we do look a lot better in this game against a similar opponent.
                        Last edited by BlueK; 11-08-2017, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• RUTS! I can't stand these smug CC jerks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                            RUTS! I can't stand these smug CC jerks!
                            Why isn't Rose playing the scrubs and clearing the bench?

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                              Why isn't Rose playing the scrubs and clearing the bench?
                              The last 5 minutes or so he did. But Princeton and UT Arlington are top 100 and maybe even borderline top 50 teams, which makes these hugely important games for us. UTA could be even better than that. They just beat Oklahoma on the road by 15 points in an exhibition. I'm sure he wants the main rotation players playing together as much as possible now since both of these games are in the next ten days. With the conference we play in and the rest of our schedule, we just don't have the luxury of not being ready to play anyone who can be counted as a good win come March.

Comment

• This team is awesome!

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Working...
                                X