Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 BYU hoops........

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    There’s been a lot of talk that BYU is better defensively than it was last year. This isn’t true. I was worried about the continuity offense. It isn’t working. Some of our best scorers can’t get shots they can hit in this offense. The continuity offense has killed TJ and Seljaas on offense. I like Schroyer but the two major things he did aren’t any better than where we were last year. Mika and Nick being gone is hurting us too. We are young. No multi year starters at the start of the season. We aren’t worse than last year but we also aren’t better. We need to play better D and we need to score in transition more this tempo sucks.
    Agree 100%.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Thereís been a lot of talk that BYU is better defensively than it was last year. This isnít true. I was worried about the continuity offense. It isnít working. Some of our best scorers canít get shots they can hit in this offense. The continuity offense has killed TJ and Seljaas on offense. I like Schroyer but the two major things he did arenít any better than where we were last year. Mika and Nick being gone is hurting us too. We are young. No multi year starters at the start of the season. We arenít worse than last year but we also arenít better. We need to play better D and we need to score in transition more this tempo sucks.
    I think the talent this year is not better and likely worse, but the results are better. So I say the changes have been good, overall. I think you're right that largely it's a tempo change. The D efficiency doesn't appear to be much better. We just hold onto the ball longer, so there are fewer total possessions. I think with out of control players like Haws and Emery, the strategy this year is better than what we were doing. What's a little strange is that I always lauded Rose as a great coach, and the transition O is what basically has defined him. He brought in Shroyer and completely dropped his identity, and it appears to be working better. I guess it makes me wonder how good Rose really has ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Agree 100%.
    Our defense ranking on KenPom for the season so far is actually better than last year, FWIW (#49 vs. #87). Offense is slightly worse.
    Last edited by BlueK; 01-09-2018 at 11:11 AM.

Watching the game on my BYUTV app on my firestick today, which tends to run 30-60 seconds or so behind, so would appreciate it if, when something exciting happens, you wait about 30 seconds before posting. Thanks.

The Lone Peak 0 with another single digit night and another bad night from the arc. Might be time to move him to the bench to see if he can gain some confidence against the backups. He clearly needs to learn how to move without the ball, as heís no good off the dribble at this level.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark ďegg on your faceĒ! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    Watching the game on my BYUTV app on my firestick today, which tends to run 30-60 seconds or so behind, so would appreciate it if, when something exciting happens, you wait about 30 seconds before posting. Thanks.
    BYU won

(I waited 60 seconds to post this)
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, ďspectator discipleshipĒ is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    BYU won

(I waited 60 seconds to post this)
    I appreciate it.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

BYU just finished its best half of the season, shooting lights out with decent D—up 46-28. As usual, Cougar fans comprise around 60% of the crowd.

Does anyone really believe this year’s defense is better than last year’s? Our tempo is slower but people shoot fairly well against us and we don’t turn them over often. I see a different defense with a lot of fake action but I don’t see it as more effective.

Does anyone really believe this year’s defense is better than last year’s? Our tempo is slower but people shoot fairly well against us and we don’t turn them over often. I see a different defense with a lot of fake action but I don’t see it as more effective.
    I don't know, but I think the team's chemistry is definitely better.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Does anyone really believe this yearís defense is better than last yearís? Our tempo is slower but people shoot fairly well against us and we donít turn them over often. I see a different defense with a lot of fake action but I donít see it as more effective.
    Yeah, I think it is quite a bit better.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Yeah, I think it is quite a bit better.
    Based on rankings or something? Fg% seems about the same. Teams are still getting threes off. We don’t turn them over more. What’s better?

Based on rankings or something? Fg% seems about the same. Teams are still getting threes off. We don’t turn them over more. What’s better?
    Our defense.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

KenPom’s adjusted defense stat says we have improved from 87th best defensive team in the country last year to 41st best defensive team this season.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    KenPom’s adjusted defense stat says we have improved from 87th best defensive team in the country last year to 41st best defensive team this season.
    Which is based on points per possession compared to what everyone else is doing. So something is better relative to the rest of the country. The defensive philosophy is now based on allowing fewer attempts from three, and that seems to be happening. Sometimes it sells out to allowing a 2pt shot as a result, but so be it. Last year everyone was making way more threes than us and we were mostly only responding with 2s.
    Last edited by BlueK; 01-14-2018 at 06:19 AM.

Isn’t it still about .95 points per possession?

Isn’t it still about .95 points per possession?
    He does it per 100 possessions and has BYU improved from 100.5 points per 100 possessions to 96.7 points per 100 possessions.

BYU's rankings as of today:

Pomeroy: 56
    Sagarin: 56
    RPI: 78

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    BYU's rankings as of today:

Pomeroy: 56
    Sagarin: 56
    RPI: 78
    Mid level NIT team.

Goatnapper has often stated BYU's upside is entry level Tourney team with an occasional victory in the first round. Seeing that glass ceiling being lowered to a mid level NIT team is frustrating though.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Mid level NIT team.

Goatnapper has often stated BYU's upside is entry level Tourney team with an occasional victory in the first round. Seeing that glass ceiling being lowered to a mid level NIT team is frustrating though.
    and yet, BYU would be 17-2 right now except for one missed open shot by Seljaas and a made shot by Seljaas that was .1 second too late. Pretty weird. The numbers can still change by the end of the season. BYU has gone to the NCAA tournament 3 times since Jimmer left, and none of those times were they on track to make it in early/mid January, at least not in the minds of casual observers. They have a lot of work left to do, no doubt, but they do seem to be getting better. Who knows, maybe they can somehow surprise at the conference tournament. For all the criticism they get over not winning one, most seem to forget they do tend to get to the championship game fairly often and then lose there. I'm old enough to remember Ladell Andersen's teams that could never even get out of the first round of the WAC tournament.
    Last edited by BlueK; 01-15-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    and yet, BYU would be 17-2 right now except for one missed open shot by Seljaas and a made shot by Seljaas that was .1 second too late. Pretty weird. The numbers can still change by the end of the season. BYU has gone to the NCAA tournament 3 times since Jimmer left, and none of those times were they on track to make it in early/mid January, at least not in the minds of casual observers. They have a lot of work left to do, no doubt, but they do seem to be getting better. Who knows, maybe they can somehow surprise at the conference tournament. For all the criticism they get over not winning one, most seem to forget they do tend to get to the championship game fairly often and then lose there. I'm old enough to remember Ladell Andersen's teams that could never even get out of the first round of the WAC tournament.
    But they could have just as easily lost the game against UMass (and maybe others), so it's not necessarily that they've just been unlucky in close games.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    But they could have just as easily lost the game against UMass (and maybe others), so it's not necessarily that they've just been unlucky in close games.

Yeah, I think this conversation comes up for every team in every sport every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post

UMass is about the only one so far where you could make that case, maybe Princeton. Both were pretty early in the season. I do think how we took control of the UMass game in the last six minutes or so was pretty important to how the team played in many subsequent games.

Mid level NIT team.

So - when you say glass ceiling, are you talking about their ceiling for THIS season? Because I interpret the "upside is entry level Tourney team with an occasional victory in the first round" as referring to seasons in general - not this season. (unless you can win "an occasional victory in the first round" in one season...which would be cool.)

It sure seems like you've decided that this season represents the best that BYU can ever hope for. Now - I know that you tend to see the sky falling, so having you post that this team is a mid-round NIT team doesn't surprise. But to say that mid-round NIT is the ceiling for BYU as a program seems pretty "someone peed in my cheerios" even for you.

Mid level NIT team.

Teams in the 50s in these are usually 1-3 seeded in the NIT. Not that it matters. I'm not a big NIT guy.

http://www.nycbuckets.com/current-nit-bracketology/
    Last edited by BlueK; 01-16-2018 at 10:13 AM.

LOL @ talking sports with Topper.

BYU #54 this morning on Pomeroy: 84 on offense, 39 on defense.

Pre-Historic Man

A double block by Yoeli is called a foul. ugh.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

They sure are toppering this 2nd half.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    They sure are toppering this 2nd half.
    It was an uninspired second half.